Oculus Rift

Oh lordy lordy that's good news. I read about Alien Isolation after I'd ordered my DK2 and pre-ordered the game in the hope that it would be supported or hacked. Can't wait for mine now!

Between that and Elite:Dangerous I can see some quality VR gaming ahead!

Whats going to be interesting is how mainstream games are released for the Rift. Will it be like movie studios when releasing for 3D, some do, some don't. Some get native, some get converted.

The Rift could just be a niche add on no one wants to spend the time and effort on.

After playing AI I didn't notice any motion sickness like I have with other OR Demo's I've tried.

Sweet!!! I best start downloading when i get in and hope my dk2 arrives in a few days. I think itll be one of the first games i try

Whats going to be interesting is how mainstream games are released for the Rift. Will it be like movie studios when releasing for 3D, some do, some don't. Some get native, some get converted.

The Rift could just be a niche add on no one wants to spend the time and effort on.

After playing AI I didn't notice any motion sickness like I have with other OR Demo's I've tried.

Absolutely, that's always the risk, but for the first time we've got a viable piece of hardware out there with developers and with heavyweight financial backing, so it's the best chance we've had so far- as such, I'm very excited.

If it does become mainstream I can foresee there being competition in the VR arena, with two or three big players, i.e OR, Sony, Samsung etc, but as long as it's all tied together with a decent common API rather than fragmented across many standard then that's a good thing.

As I've said before though, the headsets are the easy, basic first step- the hardware to interact with virtual worlds, i.e. controllers, gloves, motion trackers, motion feedback and 3D audio systems etc are going to be the really interesting and fun things!

Not supported - since when is that ever an issue?

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2iirut/help_break_alien_isolation_open_and_enable/

EDIT - same time fail.

Also, if you want to be scared ****less: https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6660

Thanks. I have already downloaded the following;

Affected
Atlantis infinite coaster
Battle of endor
Beneath
Crystal rift
Cyberspace
Dreadhalls
Helix
Quake spasm
Radial g
Rift coaster
Skyroads vr
The great river
Titals of space
Unpossible
Walking mars
Welcome to oculus
Kite & lightning (senza peso)

Alien Isolation... nice! I haven't started it yet. Maybe I should play it exclusively on the Rift to see how it does on a pure VR setup.

[edit]

Ok, update, it works really well. The intro & cut scenes are like being sat in a cinema (the video is projected in 2D), and the actual VR gameplay is definitely optimised for Rift DK2 experience - text is readable and the interface works very well. Walking down a corridor and seeing the steam trickling out of the vents is genuinely spooky. I've only just gone through the intro but it's certainly showing the best of what the Rift is capable of.

Best played with headphones!

Last edited:
Alien Isolation... nice! I haven't started it yet. Maybe I should play it exclusively on the Rift to see how it does on a pure VR setup.

[edit]

Ok, update, it works really well. The intro & cut scenes are like being sat in a cinema (the video is projected in 2D), and the actual VR gameplay is definitely optimised for Rift DK2 experience - text is readable and the interface works very well. Walking down a corridor and seeing the steam trickling out of the vents is genuinely spooky. I've only just gone through the intro but it's certainly showing the best of what the Rift is capable of.

Best played with headphones!

Awesome. Think ill wait until my dk2 arrives (hopefully friday or early next week) before playing Alien Isolation. Need to get a headphone extension cable too so i can use my earphones instead of crappy headset - my amp is being repaired

Awesome. Think ill wait until my dk2 arrives (hopefully friday or early next week) before playing Alien Isolation. Need to get a headphone extension cable too so i can use my earphones instead of crappy headset - my amp is being repaired

Hmm it's not quite perfect - the camera has gone wonky once (fixed by looking at one of the computer terminals straight on), the crafting menu is a bit fiddly, and alt-tabbing out killed the window. But it's pretty damn good. Maybe a patch will update the "unofficial" support for it :D

I dont expect it to be perfect. I thought it wasn't supported at all so anything is a bonus

How do you mount the head tracking camera / sensor? Do you get a mount or tape or something? I just have my monitor and wall behind that but cannot screw anything into the wall (rented property)

I dont expect it to be perfect. I thought it wasn't supported at all so anything is a bonus

How do you mount the head tracking camera / sensor? Do you get a mount or tape or something? I just have my monitor and wall behind that but cannot screw anything into the wall (rented property)

It's not perfect, but at least it's a grade AAA title on the Rift.

My sensor is just sitting on top of my LCD TV. If your monitor is attached to the wall then you might need to run the cable around the edge, but if you can run a 5mm cable down the back then perfect. Just sellotape the foot of the camera to the top of the monitor (you can stick it from underneath to hide the sellotape). You can angle the camera to point at your rift, e.g. my monitor is slightly higher than most setups so I have to angle it down a bit.

ive orderded gtx 970 g1 should get it by weekend and was planning dl Alien: Isolation, i was just browsing the the forum and ive come across this thread haven't read all the pages.

Dont know much about Oculus Rift DK2? but so far ive learnt that this is development and not consumer.

question is does it work with new games games, or should i wait for the consumers Oculus Rift to come out and if so how long will that be.

basically i do want to buy but im not sure need your input to decide whether to go for it basically.

Consumer will be cheaper with higher res etc, dk2 is very good though.

Euro truck sim, assetto corsa, AI works on it with more planned

cheers buddy

just checked their website doesn't mention when the Consumer model coming out any in sight in to this or how close they are to releasing the consumer model.

just dont want to buy this and find out couple months down the road the consumer model is being released.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom