Oculus Rift

Extended mode is just that - works like a second monitor so you'll see the desktop through it.

I have very, very little success with Direct To Rift, so I leave it on Extended. Not had any problems.

Thanks. I have worked that part out now and it extends onto the right side of my desktop

How do you lock vsync on and to 75hz instead of the default monitor of 60hz? I am seeing faint stuttering which i believe is due to it using 60hz instead of 75

I am looking through this guide which explains more but I have still not worked out how to make it use 75 - http://www.ilculto.it/cesare/info.eng.html

why is rift saver only supported in direct mode? In extended mode it will constantly display the desktop / whatever so surely it would be more useful

Last edited:
Sort of got it working now with extended mode. Alien isolation is awesome. Love how you can look around and over / under things!

I can see this technology advancing seriously quickly and getting scarily real

Last edited:
After pretty much a full day of using and messing around with the DK2 I can say i'm impressed but there are a few niggles.

Horizontal peripheral vision could be better - dive mask syndrome
I dont seem to be having much luck with extended mode. Either it will not maximise to full screen or I see 2 images instead of 1 blended one

Although most are not having much luck with Direct to rift mode, this seems to work best for me with game that support it.

In extended mode I either get stutter or tearing - probably because its set in 60hz mode of my primary monitor instead of 75

On the plus side its rather incredible to be able to look around things and generally feel like you are inside the game / demo. I would urge everyone to get Lava inc - http://www.theriftarcade.com/lava-inc-rollercoaster-for-oculus-rift-dk2/

You basically sit in a cart, look around and control the speed by moving your head forwards and backwards. Warning - motion sickness will hot hard. I need to develop these skills

You've got few options on the 75hz front:

1. Drop your main monitor resolution down until it supports 75Hz (my choice)
2. Force 75Hz in nVidia panel or other such software (which makes your screen look odd)
3. Disable your monitor, and leave only the Rift on (difficult to see!)

FoV is being worked on for full release, as you say, it does feel like a diving mask.
Extended mode desktop will look strange. I have to keep switching eyes to find anything.

Alternatively, Virtual Desktop is pretty awesome:
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8182

Now you can do everything with the Rift on your face :)

You've got few options on the 75hz front:

1. Drop your main monitor resolution down until it supports 75Hz (my choice) - My Hazro monitor doesnt support 75hz, just 60.

2. Force 75Hz in nVidia panel or other such software (which makes your screen look odd) Don't think I can

3. Disable your monitor, and leave only the Rift on (difficult to see!)
When I do this is flips it around the wrong way for some reason. I normally have it in portrait mode

FoV is being worked on for full release, as you say, it does feel like a diving mask.
Extended mode desktop will look strange. I have to keep switching eyes to find anything.

Alternatively, Virtual Desktop is pretty awesome:
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8182

Now you can do everything with the Rift on your face :)

Virtual desktop works but fps is 60, I guess because my main monitor is also 60hz. There is lots of 'judder' when looking around. When I select a game and choose to play it with rift as the main monitor it messes up then leaves it so I cannot see anything and have nothing on my desktop (until i turn off the rift or set my monitor back to main display)

...but thanks for recommendations. I can see it being fantastic when software and drivers have matured a bit more

I've been fiddling with my mates one all weekend.

I like the potential, but I'm so glad I didn't get a DK2. It really should just be for developers.

Still pending for me sadly, is their a place that shows when batches go out, or shall I just check my email daily? I'm impatiant I know..

How the hell have I not heard of this??

I am very very very tempted to get one, but:

Development Kit 1: 1280×800 (640×800 per eye)[3]
Development Kit 2: 1920×1080 (960×1080 per eye)[4]
Consumer Version: At least 2000×1080[5][6]

Will have to be the consumer version of course, but the DK2 would be good, where to buy? apart from the bay of course, and is there any issues with it?

Last edited:
There are lots of issues, mainly with things like fps, vsync, setting it up in the correct orientation etc.

I have worked out that extended mode works best with windows aero disabled - this allows different hz on the rift to the monitors usual 60

I still dont know how to duplicate the display on main monitor to rift. I just use it in extended monitor mode but sometimes its difficult to make the extended desktop (rift display) full screen. When using alt & enter it just maximised the display on the monitor and shows the extended desktop background on the rift

Oculus Rift DK2 extended mode working.
Here's how I have managed to get extended mode working the best with most titles.

Download OculusServiceManager - By Bilago.
Install content adapter in the Bilago service
Choose 1 monitor and check to force DX11
Disabled Windows Aero in Bilago service
Set you primary display to 1080p
Set your monitor as display 1 and Rift as display 2 in screen resolution
Set Rift to the right of your main monitor
Set extend these desktops
Set Rift orientation mode to Portrait
Right click an exe and select 'Open in Oculus Rift'
If it does not open fullscreen, drag the window to the right and double click / alt & enter

These are just my settings. It may work for you, it may not but I have had most luck doing this.

Oculus Rift DK2 extended mode working.
Here's how I have managed to get extended mode working the best with most titles.

Download OculusServiceManager - By Bilago.
Install content adapter in the Bilago service
Choose 1 monitor and check to force DX11
Disabled Windows Aero in Bilago service
Set you primary display to 1080p
Set your monitor as display 1 and Rift as display 2 in screen resolution
Set Rift to the right of your main monitor
Set extend these desktops
Set Rift orientation mode to Portrait
Right click an exe and select 'Open in Oculus Rift'
If it does not open fullscreen, drag the window to the right and double click / alt & enter

These are just my settings. It may work for you, it may not but I have had most luck doing this.

Thanks for this, will give it a try, mine just shipped- order date 22nd August and arriving tomorrow at the office.

In Italy at the moment, back tomorrow evening, and have family arriving for a funeral Wednesday evening, so it'll be a while before I can try it, but it'll be a welcome diversion.

Ive got most things to work that way, Quake is fantastic (quakespasm)

One thing I dont understand - In games where they usually work perfect - well above 75fps, they start to judder when cranking settings up using Rift. One example being Alien Isolation. I can play the game fully maxed out, over 100fps in normal mode but when setting Rift mode in the XML file then wacking the settings up/on (such as volumetric lighting) the game starts to judder. Does VR mode use a load more power to render the game in 3d?

One thing I dont understand - In games where they usually work perfect - well above 75fps, they start to judder when cranking settings up using Rift. One example being Alien Isolation. I can play the game fully maxed out, over 100fps in normal mode but when setting Rift mode in the XML file then wacking the settings up/on (such as volumetric lighting) the game starts to judder. Does VR mode use a load more power to render the game in 3d?

Possibly. It render in a bigger frame buffer than just 1080p (to compensate for the lensing effect near the middle of the screen). You should be able to monitor the FPS and double check. It also renders twice per frame (once for each eye, but 1/2 the screen for each).

Secondly, The Rift is very sensitive to any form of V-sync. So double check you don't have some sneaky V-sync settings somewhere (Nvidia control panel, as well as in game). Also, it's possible your monitor needs to match the Rift (75 hertz).

I'd try a variety of those, see if it improves. It's a bit of a pain, but the more information we get from setting up the Rift in the best way possible, the better.

As others have said, yes. In 3D, worst case scenario, FPS could be halved as each pixel has to be calculated for two positions.

Also, to mirror your Rift to your desktop (to let others see what you're doing and to sometimes take a break with menus etc) use OBS: https://obsproject.com/

It's an open source streaming application that lets you pick applications by executable to be rendered in your stream. The real benefit for us is that you can use it without streaming and just use "preview" mode where it mirrors what you see.

I found with Alien Isolation that I'd get judder with SSAO set to anything other than Standard or Off. All the other settings at full didn't cause me any judder but that did. That's with a GTX 970 @ 1080p btw. I've just sold my rift though. I'm going to wait for CV1 and while DK2's massively cool, I didn't feel I was getting my money's worth from it, due to mainly playing other non-3d games.

Back
Top Bottom