Oculus Rift

^ interesting. Plugging my usb tracker into the back of my machine it came up as unrecognised (unknown usb device) plugging it into a front port (that detects usb sticks as usb 1 low speed) worked!?
I would try another port. I presume you have installed the runtime drivers before connecting anything?
Also - tru wiggling the sync cable on the head tracker until the blue light comes on. To make sure its not loose. Do the same on the headset under the front panel

Last edited:
^ interesting. Plugging my usb tracker into the back of my machine it came up as unrecognised (unknown usb device) plugging it into a front port (that detects usb sticks as usb 1 low speed) worked!?
I would try another port. I presume you have installed the runtime drivers before connecting anything?

Yep, the positional tracker is recognised and turns on now, sadly it wasn't tracking very well, however the IR camera may have been confused by the light on behind me so I will try again later with it off and see if it makes a difference.

May fiddle with monitor settings too, currently it's only working on direct and not for the Tuscany demo! Unfortunately work load means I don't have as much time to play as I would like.

If I do get it working ok, what games could I use to demonstrate it well?

Also - tru wiggling the sync cable on the head tracker until the blue light comes on. To make sure its not loose. Do the same on the headset under the front panel

Lots of kaput USB ports, they are so temperamental.
Had a similar issue with joystick. Wouldn't work properly in one USB port, fine in another.

I really hope the new usb4 is more reliable.

I know many of you won't remember Space: 1999 but I've done a demo for the oculus, http://youtu.be/qCwsX4bN2pU its available on Oculus Share https://share.oculusvr.com/app/space-1999-the-vr-experience

I actually saw this and thought it looked quite good. Did you make it? 'Liam Goodison' *looks at usersname* guess so :)

Lava inc is a good coaster type sim. Just sit in a cart, go faster by moving forward, slow down by moving back and look around.

Games - The Mental Torment Episode One is good as is quake spasm and alien isolation. Half life 2 is also good but makes me feel a bit motion sick after playing for too long (30 mins I played for)

Oculus doesnt like USB3

Or 2! Mine seems to work better in the lower speed USB2 (maybe it is 1.1) on the front of my case.

Sometimes the headset works but the tracking doesnt. All I get when I move my head is the same image everywhere, instead of being able to look around. Ultimate motion sickness then!

Its the same as moving your head when the movies play at the start of alien isolation - they move with you

Are people not thinking about the computer requirement to use CV1? Presuming it does come with 4k support, or even 1400p and 120hz it will require a super computer to play and of the latest games such as Alien Isolation.

Alien Isolation with my rig (i5, 8gb, SLI GTX670) I can hold 75fps/75hz in DK2 at 1080p (highest settings, SSAO off) 150fps in normal 2D mode

However, playing it at 4 times the resolution (3840 x 2160) would require 4 times the GPU power. Plus needing to sustain the refresh rate of the CV1. 240fps in 2D mode @ 2160p. Good luck with that people!

Woah woah woah, don't plug the sync cable into the headset! You plug the sync cable from the camera into the HDMI/USB splitter box.

You should only have ONE cable running to your headset and that's the HDMI/USB braided one.

Unless of course you're talking about doing this simply for testing purposes. Then that's fine :)

Regarding system spec yeah, definitely a concern what kind of power we'll need going forward with VR. Short term it's going to be an issue but hopefully that will drive innovation in the sector. Hasn't stopped me buying a 980 with the intention of SLIing it when the next version comes out though.

Saying that, something that a LOT of people don't realise however is that VR doesn't need to be photo realistic. People trying the 2nd prototype (with headphones, demoed recently) mention that one of the most immersive experiences demoed was a simple cartoon scene sitting around a fire. Many have commented (who have tried or own the DK2) that scene was the one that blew them away in terms of tricking their brain that they were there and those characters where real objects.

To consider how this works - If you relate it to real life, it's quite possible that someone could put a cartoon figure, or statue, on your desk in front of you. It doesn't look lifelike but it looks no less REAL than the person sitting next to you. It doesn't take a lot to trick our brains when every other sense is being confused at the same time.

Woah woah woah, don't plug the sync cable into the headset! You plug the sync cable from the camera into the HDMI/USB splitter box.

You should only have ONE cable running to your headset and that's the HDMI/USB braided one.

The top cable with the round male pin goes to the splitter. The bottom cable with the flat end goes to USB. I think this flat one is the 'Oculus Positional tracker'

From the splitter, one braided cable goes to the headset, one to HDMI > DVI and the other to a USB point.

Its just strange that the positional tracker only works in what is usually my crappest USB port! Its detects flash drives as low speed. I have tried a few others on the back of my case and it just comes up 'usb device unknown' All other usb devices work fine in the back of my case :confused:

Are people not thinking about the computer requirement to use CV1? Presuming it does come with 4k support, or even 1400p and 120hz it will require a super computer to play and of the latest games such as Alien Isolation.

Alien Isolation with my rig (i5, 8gb, SLI GTX670) I can hold 75fps/75hz in DK2 at 1080p (highest settings, SSAO off) 150fps in normal 2D mode

However, playing it at 4 times the resolution (3840 x 2160) would require 4 times the GPU power. Plus needing to sustain the refresh rate of the CV1. 240fps in 2D mode @ 2160p. Good luck with that people!

Multiples of pixels doesnt directly equate to multiple of processing power. The difference between 2560x1080 and 7680x1080 isnt that big a hit in iRacing or Assetto Corsa, my 290x stock does roughly 75 to 55fps respectively for AC, same story with iR just higher figures.

Its also worth pointing out the 7680x1080 is exactly the same number of pixels as 3840x2160 (8,294,400) so its a pretty reasonable comparison, might not be conclusive, but if we're talking about pushing pixels, im only seeing a 30% drop from single screen to triple.

If we're willing to accept we cant expect to buy a £300-400 GPU and expect 4K resolution at the highest settings achievable, then we'll be fine. The issue will come from those from those who demand the best and complain the Rift cant even run on £800 worth of GPUs because their standard is extreme, they wont sacrifice that and deep down they're not really interested in VR anyway.

Is there really anything to suggest CV1 might be higher than 1440 though? It strikes me as though 4K will be the sweet spot, but the panels to get that at the specs required, aren't on the horizon. CV2 IMO. With the amount ive spent on monitors recently, my uncertainty on using VR, i dont see myself ordering CV1 till ive at least had the chance to try it for myself. I jump 6 foot when im racing with headphones on and get a tap on the shoulder, slapping a VR blindfold on isnt going to help in that respect, but im eager for it to succeed.

TrackMania² Canyon, Stadium and Valley all working after recent update.
Only tried Canyon so far and it works really well.
Only gripe so far, no cockpit view it seems.

Last edited:
^ really how? I tried it the other night (TM2) and couldnt find a rift option. Is head tracking working too?

I wonder if anyone has tried implementing a camera with the oculus drivers.

Last edited:
Just update the game and its in the stereo 3d settings tab, it will detect the rift and you are away.
Full head-tracking included, you can also alternate between Rift and monitor with shift/F11.

In TM2 it detect it and comes up with the warning message but then sticks there and head tracking does not work. Just sticks with a flat image of the warning.

Are you using direct mode or extended?

I have only played Canyon so far, in extended mode, I will reinstall stadium and see if that works ok.

Yep, Canyon. Extended mode for me works but I get very fast flickering which would probably set on a fit with some people! not good

Direct mode does not work (or I have not got it working yet)

I tried Stadium and it works fine for me as well as Canyon, no flickering in extended either.
Also when I played Canyon a few days ago it was only the game in 3D, today it was also the Mania Planet menus in 3D, im not sure why.

Back
Top Bottom