Oculus Rift

Possibly. It render in a bigger frame buffer than just 1080p (to compensate for the lensing effect near the middle of the screen). You should be able to monitor the FPS and double check. It also renders twice per frame (once for each eye, but 1/2 the screen for each).

Using something like afterburner and OSD to display fps?

Secondly, The Rift is very sensitive to any form of V-sync. So double check you don't have some sneaky V-sync settings somewhere (Nvidia control panel, as well as in game). Also, it's possible your monitor needs to match the Rift (75 hertz).

I thought VSync always need to be enabled so there is no tearing?
My primary monitor only supports 60hz. I disable Windows Aero which seems to allow the Rift to use 75hz in extended mode (direct mode works fine)

I'd try a variety of those, see if it improves. It's a bit of a pain, but the more information we get from setting up the Rift in the best way possible, the better.

RoyMi6 - Are right, makes sense then. If I get about 120-130fps in 1080p with settings on highest, I may get 60 or 65 when using the rift which would cause problems. I didnt realise FPS could effectively be halved

[Damien] - I will try just disabling SSAO - thanks. To be honest I havent had this much fun since gaming on my Amiga. Everything just feels new and exciting again with all sort of titles and tech demos being created. Instead of pumping out COD 12 or Battlefield 9 which just has some more unlocks and nothing extra over the first 2 titles

Last edited:
This is what is really interesting about the DK2. It is a faff getting the thing to work and work properly, but youll get so much more of an understanding of the tech than if you were just PnP, as I expect the CV1 to be.

Exactly. Basic Windows stuff too - I actually forgot how rotate displays worked in settings! I did try to set my monitor to 1080 x 1920 even though its only 2560 x 1440. It went black for ages but did look like it worked for a second or 2 before reverting to 1440p. Oops

edit - Regarding CV1, Will the same team be working on it as DK1 & DK2 since the company has now been bought out by Facebook? I can see it going downhill to be honest (or at least not as much enthusiasm put in as when it was a relatively small company)

Last edited:
Mine has arrived! Not entirely sure what to do with it yet and working out what I need to take it in to school...

edit - Regarding CV1, Will the same team be working on it as DK1 & DK2 since the company has now been bought out by Facebook? I can see it going downhill to be honest (or at least not as much enthusiasm put in as when it was a relatively small company)

Have you listened to anything Carmack has to say? If you're worried about enthusiasm you really shouldn't be..

Tried this for the very first time at Play Expo weekend just gone, amazing. Can't wait for VR to become mainstream - this truely is next gen.

Youre thinking exactly the same thing that the whole of the world thought when FB bought out Oculus. Just go check out reddit archives that day! Myself included.

What it has worked out to be though is exactly what VR needed, although we did not realise it at the time. It was all well and good that this thing was kickstarted and had built up from that, and some big names had come aboard and they were talking investment in the millions and then wham! now they were going to lose the laser focus on gamers and morph into some half-hearted compromise to feed the masses in a bland popsy facebook mmo where you could see the like button in 3D. Kill me now.

Instead, its turned out the other way. Driven by exactly the same people with facebook holding true to its word not to interfere, the stupidly large amount of money has meant theyre able to spend money on research facilities that blow minds, delve into really experimental research, hire important bods, create a meaningful partnership with Samsung that I think is going to drive image quality much faster than if they'd had to rely on natural evolution. You just need to check out the videos from Connect (kindly supplied above by Jazz) and you can almost feel the brilliance and enthusiasm in the room. It really is a good time for VR. It either happens now, or we wait another twenty years.

Last edited:

It's still the same team (Luckey, Irebe, Mitchell etc). What some people don't realize is that several of the head guys there signed a 5 year contract to stay with Oculus after the buyout, so despite all the backlash over "selling out", they certainly didn't take the money and run.

It's worth watching the Oculus Connect videos from their recent conference if you want to see some good talks from the main people who work there (edit, just noticed Jazzerman posted a link to Carmacks talk above, d'oh!).

Last edited:
Have you listened to anything Carmack has to say? If you're worried about enthusiasm you really shouldn't be..

I havent to be honest but I watched the first 15 minutes and its clear there is still a lot of enthusiasm. Coupled with the 5 year agreement to stay with the company after 'selling out' I have high hopes.

Even if it doesn't all advance as much as they like, the DK2 IMO is still a fantastic product considering the reasonably low cost. Sure, it has problems but its still real next gen stuff

To whoever said about turning off SSAO in Alien Isolation that seems to have worked great. It was dropping down to 60-65fps which caused the problems. A constant 75fps is needed to keep it working. 150fps for a new game is pretty heavy on hardware. Its a shame it only used ~60-70% of each GPU. 99-100% of each GPU and constant 75fps % 75hz would be a lot nicer.

If anyone has tried it its fantastic in Oculus. One problem is the head tracking. If you are not straight when starting the game, it seems to go on a slant or too high/low. Is there a way to reset the tracking?

360-pad-tastic. Yeah, not sure on rift reset without the pad myself actually.

My DK2 landed today.

It might sound obvious/silly, but this is something I'd never actually thought about- as someone that always played FPS games with a mouse/keyboard and was incapable of aiming for toffee with a pad, I guess the 360 pad is now the gold standard of games control.... as you only need to walk/run/select items. Or am I wrong?

On that subject, do we think the Sixense controller is the most likely virtual controller to succeed? Or are there other options?

whats wrong with the ps3 controller? Is there a difference? Dont have much of a problem with the m/kb myself.

The sixsense is likely to be a leader but there are lots of rumours about oculus coming up with something. The thing about the stem is its so damn expensive, and there are cheaper options making use of the leap etc. so nobody knows yet.

whats wrong with the ps3 controller? Is there a difference? Dont have much of a problem with the m/kb myself.

The sixsense is likely to be a leader but there are lots of rumours about oculus coming up with something. The thing about the stem is its so damn expensive, and there are cheaper options making use of the leap etc. so nobody knows yet.

Nothing at all wrong with PS3 pads! Sorry worded that wrong, I really mean that simple game pads are now all you really need.

Having said that do Oculus-enabled FPS games tend to use head tracking for aiming or do you still aim separately with a mouse?

Eye tracking is going to be the next thing...

My DK2 landed today.

It might sound obvious/silly, but this is something I'd never actually thought about- as someone that always played FPS games with a mouse/keyboard and was incapable of aiming for toffee with a pad, I guess the 360 pad is now the gold standard of games control.... as you only need to walk/run/select items. Or am I wrong?

On that subject, do we think the Sixense controller is the most likely virtual controller to succeed? Or are there other options?

I doubt it will be 'gold standard' for PC FPS. Imagine how much (and how fast) you would need to move your head to aim and shoot things!

Its fine aiming and shooting with mouse and using wasd in Half life 2 - plus the fact you can shoot forward and look behind you sat the same time! Razor Hydra(sp?) is another option instead of mouse but you would still need to use a keyboard or controller with left hand.

You can aim with your head (if you want) in Quake and its is very accurate and fun but its still a lot easier to use mouse and look around with your head.

In real life you do not aim and shoot things with your head anyway, so why would you in VR?

Anyone have any idea with these Bumpers for keyboard users? I have a 360 pad but lets face it, keyboard and mouse is 1000 times more precise

I really don't seem to be capable of handling VR at the moment. Not for FPS games at least. As soon as I use the 360 pad to move I get overcome by motion sickness.

Its fine aiming and shooting with mouse and using wasd in Half life 2 - plus the fact you can shoot forward and look behind you sat the same time! Razor Hydra(sp?) is another option instead of mouse but you would still need to use a keyboard or controller with left hand.

It's very good, more impressive in person, but you still have to turn your body with the analogue stick. They have plans to make use of a third sensor specifically for body tracking (orientation and position) when they receive their STEM controllers. I find rotations to be the worst motions to perform with mouse / stick, so very much hoping they add this support to the current hydra implementation, as currently it performs positional tracking, but no orientation, in control mode 2:

More information and discussion: Half Life VR.

Last edited:
Can't remember if it was this thread but there was someone asking about if it could be used with Diplopia (lazy eye / 2D vision).

Turns out that only were we right (that it can be used) but it turns out there's actually someone making a game to help!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/diplopia-a-vr-game-to-help-strabismus-and-amblyopia

Man, was I ever out of the loop on this! I didn't even know this was a VR device. I thought it was the name of a game whenever I saw it in this sub-forum!

I only grasped what it was this evening when I decided to Google it to see what sort of game it was...

And I've just spent an hour reading a few articles on stereoblindness (which I have) and the OR device.

Like many other people with strabismus, the physical outward signs were corrected by surgery when I was young, but I have never had full stereoscopic vision. Once in a while whilst watching a 3D film I'll perceive depth to the image and it's an almost intoxicating sensation and I desperately want to hold on to it, but it invariably vanishes into flat 2D within a few seconds.

Now I hear that this device lets people with this condition see 3D consistently and reliably?! I don't think I have ever wanted to see a tech device succeed so much before in my life!

And the suggestions it might even be able to treat stereoblindess?! Amazing.

Doing ok with mine so far but not brilliantly. Had to plug the positional tracker into a USB socket on the back to get it recognised. Without it on the OR demo kept drifting as did any demo I ran. With it the demo won't let me turn my head from side to side though up and down works. I am thinking it may have something to do with the lights being on and confusing the IR camera?

The Tuscany demo won't work, displays it to screen but not the rift. So not a brilliant start but will give it another shot tomorrow. :(

Back
Top Bottom