Oculus Rift

Soldato
Just played the space wipeout game, and the other main one, Valkyrie or something. Then I played iRacing and I filled my pants. This is just so flipping brilliant! I cant wait for this to be become the release version!!!

Soldato
I'm not sure whether to get LFS, iRacing or Assetto Corsa

Is there an arcade racing game rather than a sim? Something like F1 20** with DK2 support?

Anyone saying about judder, just try Guided Meditation v1.02. In the purple forrest its runs jerky as hell for some reason, checking the fps its about 40 or 50. Press 'o' and it drops settings and suddenly it works fine. Pressing space bar you can see its now 75fps.

I am loving Quake spasm, Minecrift and UE4Rollercoaster

Soldato
How did you get iracing to work on the rift? I can't figure it out.
I dunno, it wasn't my rift, it was my mates, so I just installed iRacing on his rig and signed in using my account. We didn't need to do anything special, it just appeared to work straight out of the box. It made the game so much better, just a shame about the blurryness of the distance. That did make it harder to figure your breakpoints, but it did make the cars look so realistic... the 3D was cracking... and considering the fact that it was after a few pints, I thought it helped a bit with cornering.

Soldato

Is there an arcade racing game rather than a sim? Something like F1 20** with DK2 support?

Anyone saying about judder, just try Guided Meditation v1.02. In the purple forrest its runs jerky as hell for some reason, checking the fps its about 40 or 50. Press 'o' and it drops settings and suddenly it works fine. Pressing space bar you can see its now 75fps.

I am loving Quake spasm, Minecrift and UE4Rollercoaster

Assetto Corsa in my opinion. I have LFS and AC and AC is in another league. LFS does have better out of the box support but AC is far more realistic and fun. Also, AC will be improving on the support since they've only just released a Rift compatible version. It's a bit of a juggle fest at the moment to get it working but it's worth it.

EDIT: Quick vid I made the other night when I got it all working.

Last edited:
Associate

I've driven LFS for years so I have a soft spot for it, easy to start up and get into, and there's a free demo. But artistically not very immersive.

I really don't get on with AC, I spent too much time in PCARS, and every time I try AC again it lasts about 15mins! Not sure why, something to do with the controls, force feedback and the audio.

I'd recommend PCARS (when it comes out), whack everything to Novice settings and it's an arcade racer. Kind of.

Soldato
Thanks Mint_Sauce. AC looks great but whether I will get £30 use out of it is another thing.

I've driven LFS for years so I have a soft spot for it, easy to start up and get into, and there's a free demo. But artistically not very immersive.

I really don't get on with AC, I spent too much time in PCARS, and every time I try AC again it lasts about 15mins! Not sure why, something to do with the controls, force feedback and the audio.

I'd recommend PCARS (when it comes out), whack everything to Novice settings and it's an arcade racer. Kind of.

It really sounds like what I need is an arcade racer like F1 201* instead of a sim game. Something like Colin Mcrae I can fire up, do a few tracks with some great DK2 support then quit out after 15 minutes.

I have found with monitors, racing games have always felt slow even when going 100mph. I think the DK2 will change this somewhat

Associate
Thanks Mint_Sauce. AC looks great but whether I will get £30 use out of it is another thing.

It really sounds like what I need is an arcade racer like F1 201* instead of a sim game. Something like Colin Mcrae I can fire up, do a few tracks with some great DK2 support then quit out after 15 minutes.

I have found with monitors, racing games have always felt slow even when going 100mph. I think the DK2 will change this somewhat

LFS, AC and pCARS all have on-the-fly FieldOfView adjustment. Fire up LFS, set the FOV to 100 and see what you think. It'll feel like warp speed, and on a DK2 will be even harder to judge corners. ;)

They all also have adjustments for Gforce effects / view shake which I found playing with greatly improved the feel of speed.

Soldato
LFS, AC and pCARS all have on-the-fly FieldOfView adjustment. Fire up LFS, set the FOV to 100 and see what you think. It'll feel like warp speed, and on a DK2 will be even harder to judge corners. ;)

FOV is set to automatic which is 106. Setting 100 doesnt seem to make much difference. It looks pretty fast if I stick my head out the window when doing 100mph!

Back
Top Bottom