Oculus Rift

Associate
Yes, full six degrees of freedom, and VR feels a rather weird without it.

If you want cheap VR, just make a Google Cardboard. Owning both, it's a little bit of a leap between that and the DK2 though!

Offered the choice between spending £290 and bodging something together from parts, not to mention getting it to work with games, I'd go with £290 every time!

Google cardboard is good idea to show you it works but it's not as polished or usable as the Rift.

Is there going to be another dev unit before the initial consumer release? I'm tempted but there is always something better around the corner.

Associate
Oculus have said there wouldn't be another DK which means either DK2 is close enough to the finished product. Only resolution will change. Or they lied and DK3 with reach us within 6 months.

Personally I wouldn't buy a DK3 anyway just for a resolution upgrade. I'll wait for CV1.

Soldato
You and me both bud you'll see me on steam playing Alien and lasting around 10 mins on it lol :) been putting off playing it till this comes.

All we need now is it to work with arma 3 that would be amazing!!

Edit: looks like you already can with a list of games i didn't know worked with it :)

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/oculus-rift/List_of_Games_Compatible_with_Oculus_Rift

Got my UPS tracking info, delivery by 3pm Monday afternoon. So that would be six days from ordering to delivery..

Soldato
Yeah sorry was responding to the post above yours- something DIY bodged together from parts might be cheaper than a DK2, but won't be much better than a Cardboard.

It's true it'll miss a couple of axis so, fair play. Palmer Lucky started this by "bodging" parts together though :)

Have a look on MTBS forum. It has the full thread with palmer talking things through, getting leads on bits he needed etc all the way through to the first John Carmack demo unit.

Most folks will be happy enough waiting (no shame/etc, just saying), but there's going to need to be alternative units and competition to keep Occulus improving the design though.

Take a look at the "God Head Neo" (worst name ever) for an alternative unit that's starting to try and get itself sorted.

Soldato
was tempted to make a new thread for this but... hmmm I'll resist.

screw my earlier post. Sourcing a screen is a pain in the ass.

This is how it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ1x3u79qBg
(needs a decent android phone, 1080p res or better being preferred).

(Trinus Gyre software - it's free)

Then go buy "colorcross 3D VR glasses" (£16).

sub 30ms delay VR headset.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok guys.

Two days before my rift arrives...

First of all, what are the best demos for use with the DK2 as I know some are DK1 only.

Also, any tips for using AMD with the rift?

Thanks

Soldato
aaand, tested with my phone. It's mint. Just waiting on the colorcross glasses.

Seriously, if you have an android phone with a decent screen you have no reason NOT to chuck £16/7 at a pair of the glasses and hook it up while we wait for the CV1 rift. Most of the games that support rift support trackIR which the Gyre software can talk. No additional sensors needed (well, depending on phone), a bit of faffing to get it to connect and it's (so very very close to) perfect.

Shadow of Mordor was my test subject just to see what the delay time was like and... it's definitely in the very low double digits (ms) and completely playable. "Presence" might not be quite there but it's... damn good for now :)

Last edited:
Associate
aaand, tested with my phone. It's mint. Just waiting on the colorcross glasses.

Seriously, if you have an android phone with a decent screen you have no reason NOT to chuck £16/7 at a pair of the glasses and hook it up while we wait for the CV1 rift. Most of the games that support rift support trackIR which the Gyre software can talk. No additional sensors needed (well, depending on phone), a bit of faffing to get it to connect and it's (so very very close to) perfect.

Shadow of Mordor was my test subject just to see what the delay time was like and... it's definitely in the very low double digits (ms) and completely playable. "Presence" might not be quite there but it's... damn good for now :)

sorry, whats this all about ? links...

i thought this was about serious hardware / VR. are you saying there is a cheap way of at least getting some idea as to what the oculus will look like and how are you getting SOM on your phone screen.. or are you saying that the oculus is no better after 5+ years and millions of dollars than some cardboard and a smart phone ..

so confused...

Soldato
I've just had possibly the best experience yet on my Rift.

Playing 'Discovering Space' whilst listening to a trance mix, popped out of a warp game and looked right to see Mercury covering the Sun. Shadows cast inside the space craft and virtual arm moved as leaned right. I breathed out and at the same time some virtual mist appeared to come out my mouth. My jaw actually dropped!

Associate
was tempted to make a new thread for this but... hmmm I'll resist.

screw my earlier post. Sourcing a screen is a pain in the ass.

This is how it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ1x3u79qBg
(needs a decent android phone, 1080p res or better being preferred).

(Trinus Gyre software - it's free)

Then go buy "colorcross 3D VR glasses" (£16).

sub 30ms delay VR headset.

Thanks for the link to this. I think I might have a play with it.

There is a 10 min demo of Trinus Gyre but the full version is £3.18 (easily worth it if it works).

Soldato
Just had probably the best gaming/sim experience ever.. Asseto Corsa, F1 type car around Spa, hitting eu rouge in 6th gear you can actually feel the compression :), man what an experience, I actually just drove round the track slowly just admiring the view :)

Back
Top Bottom