Oculus Rift

I wish they allowed it in trackir as well, because you can do the same essentially :/

This is where it starts, allowing independent movement of the head to the rest of the games controls, but limiting TrackIR compared to Occulus instead of just using the same axis limits.

:(

Just sit closer to the screen at the cinema :)

While no, you can't use VLC, there is a "VR Player" that lets you play standard videos as well as 360 and 3D ones.

You can choose how far away the video appears etc so you can have it a distance that suits you.

What's it like to watch movies on?

Does it give you that immersion feeling, or is it like being sat an inch away from a TV?

In my head it would be like having a 100+" screen, but after speaking to someone else they say it would be rubbish for movies..

I wish they allowed it in trackir as well, because you can do the same essentially :/

Looks like you can change this if you wish.

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2378&start=60#p65764

The syntax is documented at http://www.eurotrucksimulator2.com/input_config.php#input_configuration. The only change since that definition is addition of helper function clamp(x,y,z) which is equivalent to min(max(x,y),z). To remove the limitation you need to change the lines defining headtrx, headtry and headtrz which use this helper function to limit the input from TrackIR into a box.

That's for position, but it's probably possible to edit the rotation limits there too.

What's it like to watch movies on?

Does it give you that immersion feeling, or is it like being sat an inch away from a TV?

In my head it would be like having a 100+" screen, but after speaking to someone else they say it would be rubbish for movies..

If you position the screen close to you it will be very uncomfortable to watch, pretty much exactly like sitting an inch away from the TV!

Last edited:
If you position the screen close to you it will be very uncomfortable to watch, pretty much exactly like sitting an inch away from the TV!

Of course, if you're too close it will be uncomfortable but as with everything - move further away.

The DK2 is absolutely mental to watch movies on, it literally is your own IMAX, except of course you're currently watching a VHS tape on it. Hopefully the resolution bump on the CV1 will mean a much better picture. But with all the movie players out there, like Riftmax and Whirligig, you have the choice of a communal viewing with other avatars in the recreation of a cinema (or your own private cinema of course) or a floating screen which can be curved, 360'd etc. Movies are a big thing for the DK2.

Anyone else struggle to use theirs?

I last 10 minutes until motion sickness sets in.

What games you playing and how? Makes a big difference. FPS you need to change some stuff around or use head tracking (works for me). HL2 is fantastic on the rift but makes me nauseous after a couple of mins without adjustments.

Of course, if you're too close it will be uncomfortable but as with everything - move further away.

The DK2 is absolutely mental to watch movies on, it literally is your own IMAX, except of course you're currently watching a VHS tape on it.

Indeed, it's best treated as a personal cinema, having the screen fill your vision entirely is uncomfortable.

Looks like you can change this if you wish.

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=2378&start=60#p65764

That's for position, but it's probably possible to edit the rotation limits there too.

If you view it in some sort of 'cinema mode' with borders etc. Does it feel like your watching on a massive screen though?

I really need to try one, or bite the bullet and get one. So intrigued. 100% will be buying the consumer version.

Last edited:
If you view it in some sort of 'cinema mode' with borders etc. Does it feel like your watching on a massive screen though?

I really need to try one, or bite the bullet and get one. So intrigued.

As above, it's perfectly fine to watch like that if you can ignore the resolution. Personally I still prefer to watch on a TV / monitor.

Anyone else struggle to use theirs?

I last 10 minutes until motion sickness sets in.

You're not alone. Although, as already mentioned, it depends on what you're playing.

Any game that has a cockpit is great to play. On the other hand, I can't last 5 minutes playing, Alien Isolation -- which is a shame as it looks amazing in the rift.

You also need to make sure FPS is 75 constant. Dropping 5 or 10 fps = extreme judder = motion sickness

In Alien isolation it probably because fps is occasionally dropping. 150fps+ in 1080p is quite demanding. Try using rivatuner stats or other fps monitoring software to display it in the top right corner or something

I have this problem with any game that allows me to walk around -- regardless of whether I can maintain 75 FPS or not.

You're not alone. Although, as already mentioned, it depends on what you're playing.

Any game that has a cockpit is great to play. On the other hand, I can't last 5 minutes playing, Alien Isolation -- which is a shame as it looks amazing in the rift.

It could be just one of those things, like some people get car sick really easily. Hopefully the CV1 will remove whatever the reason for yours is (and there are multiple reasons for motion sickness in the Rift). In the meantime its worked for some to get a bit more used to it daily, some use a narcotic substance that rhymes with Narijuana, peppermint tea apparently as well.

I really need to try one, or bite the bullet and get one. So intrigued. 100% will be buying the consumer version.

Yeah very much so. Whirligig is basically a blank black space with a screen. You can size it until you feel comfortable, from the point where you have to look around the screen to see all of it (that imax front row thing) or push it out to any size. I find a typical cinema screen size the most comfortable, but in poor res films i push it out to about a 50 inch tv. The immersion is great because there are literally no external distractions, just you and the screen.

Riftmax is sort of where its going, a virtual cinema you walk into the theatre room and theres a giant screen on your right and seating on your left. Grab a seat and its more immersive for the cinema feel, especially in multiple person theatres. The 3D is ok too, utilising SBS, and theres a 4d element as well apparently which is like sharks flying over your head, but havent tried that.

As for buying it now... depends how strapped for cash you are. Its by no means perfect, the resolution of the movies is around old school VHS. I dont notice it after a couple of minutes but it would bug a cineophile i suppose. The CV1 will be coming out anywhere between summer - xmas 2015 so if you can wait, probably worth waiting. Im getting more out of it on the gaming front as a sim nut, so car racing is mental, wwii flight sims are coming and games like alien isolation and windlands really show the power of the medium.

hmmm, got mine today and Im a bit dissapointed.
Im not really getting any of the immersion I was hoping for.

Really? Unless you expected it was going to be real life im not sure how much more immersion you could get. The first thing I tried was the demo scene in the config. Looking right and down I felt like I was going to fall off the chair :D

Lava Inc and UE4Rollercoaster made my stomach go a bit funny when the roller coaster drops and I am finding myself ducking in HL2 when something explodes and wood flied in my face

Back
Top Bottom