Oculus Rift

Soldato
OCULUS VR, INC. 50.00U.S. DOLLA at 1.68976005 IRVINE £29.59
OCULUS VR, INC. 412.00U.S. DOLLA at 1.60379929 IRVINE £256.89

£286.48 (at those rates)

Either way, I think £290 is excellent for this technology. Its the first time I have thought wow, next gen gaming.

All this EU4 tech. I wish someone would make a smooth Unreal mod / patch so it works with DK2

Last edited:
Soldato
So what's the average wait time now. Cancelled my original order from a couple of months back due to finances :(. re-ordered last night, are we looking at 3 or 4 weeks?

Soldato
Has anyone updated to SDK 0.4.3?

edit - Don't, it seems there are a few issues and FOV is reduced for some reason.

I have just tried 'Laser face' Its actually really good and easy to play but still hard to complete the first level.

I would recommend not reading the write up or you probably wont download it!

https://share.oculusvr.com/app/laserface

Last edited:
Associate
Yup, money taken out my account yesterday.. Maybe they have a batch that have been cancelled and are ready to ship when bought now..

I'm not complaining though :)

Mine too ordered on the 23rd and thought I had 6-8 weeks to wait before I had to pay bah credit card comes in use :)

From when they take the money when does it normally come mine is on ready? What's yours marker?

Soldato
Mine too ordered on the 23rd and thought I had 6-8 weeks to wait before I had to pay bah credit card comes in use :)

From when they take the money when does it normally come mine is on ready? What's yours marker?

Sitting at Ready as well mate.. Hopefully ship in the next day or so :)

Associate
I'll be dusting off the DK1 tomorrow as I've got the place to myself.

Any tips on good stuff/demos to play at the moment? GUEST2 pointed me in the direction of some already, but whatever you guys have! AC and Euro Truck Sim are so immersive, shame about the low res on DK1.

And I should or should not install the latest SDK?

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
OCULUS VR, INC. 50.00U.S. DOLLA at 1.68976005 IRVINE £29.59
OCULUS VR, INC. 412.00U.S. DOLLA at 1.60379929 IRVINE £256.89

£286.48 (at those rates)

Either way, I think £290 is excellent for this technology. Its the first time I have thought wow, next gen gaming.

All this EU4 tech. I wish someone would make a smooth Unreal mod / patch so it works with DK2

For the price though, you can build the head tracking for... £30 (as good as DK2 at least). The screen is quite the trick but... with a bit of looking around it's probably available. The lenses are basically loupe lenses (google) add the github open source DK1 and you fairly quickly have a DK2 :D

Not saying it's totally easy but...

There is actually a Chinese place shipping "VR 3D Glasses For Smartphones" which covers the lenses and mount needed for the screen so it would just take a screen and something like the ED Tracker (perfect head tracking) to make (something very close to) a DK2.

Last edited:
Associate
For the price though, you can build the head tracking for... £30 (as good as DK2 at least). The screen is quite the trick but... with a bit of looking around it's probably available. The lenses are basically loupe lenses (google) add the github open source DK1 and you fairly quickly have a DK2 :D

Not saying it's totally easy but...

There is actually a Chinese place shipping "VR 3D Glasses For Smartphones" which covers the lenses and mount needed for the screen so it would just take a screen and something like the ED Tracker (perfect head tracking) to make (something very close to) a DK2.

I've made an edtracker. It was a fun £10 proof of concept project for me. It was designed for the cockpit view in Elite Dangerous and it works well with that game. It's lacking tracking of a further planes (keeping head still & move forwards/backwards and the same with sideways) though. Does the rift track these?

Associate
I've made an edtracker. It was a fun £10 proof of concept project for me. It was designed for the cockpit view in Elite Dangerous and it works well with that game. It's lacking tracking of a further planes (keeping head still & move forwards/backwards and the same with sideways) though. Does the rift track these?

Yes, full six degrees of freedom, and VR feels a rather weird without it.

If you want cheap VR, just make a Google Cardboard. Owning both, it's a little bit of a leap between that and the DK2 though!

Offered the choice between spending £290 and bodging something together from parts, not to mention getting it to work with games, I'd go with £290 every time!

Back
Top Bottom