Oculus Rift

Soldato
Just had probably the best gaming/sim experience ever.. Asseto Corsa, F1 type car around Spa, hitting eu rouge in 6th gear you can actually feel the compression :), man what an experience, I actually just drove round the track slowly just admiring the view :)

Try the Nurburgring (http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/nürburgring-nordschleife.2270/). I play it with the DK2 and G27 and it's awesome fun. The dk2 and a proper wheel really makes AC feel so much like a proper sim, like nothing I've experienced before. Without the Rift, I find AC feels more like a game than a sim if that makes sense, I think because it's so immersive the sense of speed and being there really hits you.

Weird when you reverse then slam on the brakes though, it's a really odd feeling. :D

Soldato
is it true that the rift makes normal monitors even 1440p/4k seem old hat ? or is there still a place for them..

The DK2 shows and so very nearly makes monitors for a lot of first person 3D games obsolete other than when you might not want to be totally removed from the real world or need that extra resolution on monitors for clarity. The resolution is just not quite good enough to really take over but it's really not that far off, next version is going to be the start of the switchover point I reckon.

Last edited:
Soldato
The DK2 shows and so very nearly makes monitors for a lot of first person 3D games obsolete other than when you might not want to be totally removed from the real world or need that extra resolution on monitors for clarity. The resolution is just not quite good enough to really take over but it's really not that far off, next version is going to be the start of the switchover point I reckon.

Still see a problem as simply being your real vision is totally obscured. ie: Want to type something on the keyboard?

I thought also the DK2 wasn't quite clear enough yet, so the text visible on regular monitors is a little difficult to read.

Last edited:
Soldato
was tempted to make a new thread for this but... hmmm I'll resist.

screw my earlier post. Sourcing a screen is a pain in the ass.

This is how it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ1x3u79qBg
(needs a decent android phone, 1080p res or better being preferred).

(Trinus Gyre software - it's free)

Then go buy "colorcross 3D VR glasses" (£16).

sub 30ms delay VR headset.
Had a quick go at this using my HTC One S, just for a laugh, and once I started using USB tethering, it all started working. Wow, might give the frames a go and use the Mrs Nexus 4 for playing.

Soldato
Still see a problem as simply being your real vision is totally obscured. ie: Want to type something on the keyboard?

I thought also the DK2 wasn't quite clear enough yet, so the text visible on regular monitors is a little difficult to read.

Yeah, exactly. The resolution isn't quite there but you can lean forward like in real life if you were a little short sighted to read small dials etc. Not ideal but then it's still early days.

I touch type so don't actually need to see the keyboard so that's been a non issue for myself for the games I've played (apart from Elite). If you're playing a game with the Rift, it's best to set everything up on your controller.

Using the Rift, it's the first time I've ever enjoyed using a joypad (360 pad) for a first person game (Alien: Isolation). As where you look is like having the mouse input and then the joypad sticks allow analogue input for movement unlike a keyboard where W is forward at a set pace.

Things like Elite really need a HOTAS setup with the Rift, touch typing isn't good enough to feel the key combos etc in time, would be a huge ball-ache so there's that. Basically, it's all pros and cons at the moment. Personally I love it and am in to it enough to deal with the bit of faffing required.

Last edited:
Associate

But lets say 4k happens ( or even 5k 21:9 wider 120-130 FOV screen in 5 years) + SDE reduction and they implement a "virtual" keyboard, i.e you type with your eyes and draw a line or you simply use the SteamOS controller to draw type like on a smart phone, surely then it becomes much easier to make the switch ?

You will need a screen for traditional browsing, work, editing and 2D games .. perhaps just for a change to give your eyes a rest. But everyone already has a 24" 1080p screen or above...

I see this much like Headphones VS Speakers. Speakers don't have wires in the way and you can walk around and generally aware of your surroundings even when loud and be more removed from the experience or it becomes a shared experience .... but then Headphones give you total immersion that only a serious set of hifi speakers + hifi amp and some decent room treatment can give.

having both a screen and an oculus isn't problem everyone will do this, but upgrading from 27" 1440p screen to the next big thing (faster refresh, low input latency, better colors) wont be worth it as it will do the job for what it needs.

The upgrades will from then on in always go on better revisions of VR. I think this is why monitor manufacturers are now finally giving people what they have been asking for the last 10years all at once in a mad flurry because they are going to lose out on sales in a big way ( so are TV folk once movies get in on the game ) when VR finally become akin to putting on a really nice pair of headphones and getting lost in the experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had a wide ranging chat around this with some friends, and we pretty much came to the conclusion that monitors are dead, but only in the long run. The tech for crystal clear screen definition is already well on the way, CV1 is going to be a big leap and theyre developing 4k screens for smartphones so its only a matter of time really.

Input is another issue altogether, but hardly insurmountable. Keyboards we reckoned wont be replicated but another VR specific input device will come to the fore, voice most likely. Elite has Voiceattack as an example, you can pretty much dictate anything now with dragon etc, and input devices like haptic gloves can push or pull creativity software for presentations or design anyway you want to. Its just going to be a different way of working.

Of course, there will always be the Windows XP users, or businesses that take ages to move on. But hopefully, without some major derailer (VR makes you go blind in six months!), this is the future.

Associate
With E:D I only really find a need for the keyboard when finding systems on the galactic map. Apparently there's a voice attack routing plugin that queries the E:D servers for a route between two systems and reads all the system names back to you. That would be me pretty much sorted!

Soldato
I'm getting a loan of a DK2 this weekend (unless work gets in the way and delays it).

The main reason is the guy from work who owns it wants to try out my copy of Elite with my X55.

Can anyone give me a good suggestion of other titles to try?

Soldato
Thanks for the link to this. I think I might have a play with it.

There is a 10 min demo of Trinus Gyre but the full version is £3.18 (easily worth it if it works).

Hmmm, I got the full Trinus Gyre for free off the Play store (I think....) ahhh no, it's the test version, true. Ok... still. It's a decent price for what it is :)

sorry, whats this all about ? links...

i thought this was about serious hardware / VR. are you saying there is a cheap way of at least getting some idea as to what the oculus will look like and how are you getting SOM on your phone screen.. or are you saying that the oculus is no better after 5+ years and millions of dollars than some cardboard and a smart phone ..

so confused...

Trinus Gyre = diluted VR experience for like £20 (£15 for glasses/goggles + £3.20 for the app).

Had a quick go at this using my HTC One S, just for a laugh, and once I started using USB tethering, it all started working. Wow, might give the frames a go and use the Mrs Nexus 4 for playing.

Yeah, for the sake of a bit of a wait (slow boat from China) and £15 the colorcross goggles do the job nicely.

Anyone buying the Nvidia Shield tablet... you have the most potent "homebrew Occulus" setup going. Output limelight from an nvidia card to the shield. Use Freepie (or Trinus with only the tracking turned on) to read the tablets sensors. Maybe a BIT big for a HMD (8 inch) but still... :D
The tegra chips + limelight gives sub 4ms lag between system and tablets screen. Works with any tegra based tablet but the shield is the first with FHD screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
is it true that the rift makes normal monitors even 1440p/4k seem old hat ? or is there still a place for them..

Yes and no. It does in the sense that standard monitors are 2d are flat. Rift actually puts you inside the game / sim / whatever if that makes sense.

However 1440p is 1440p per eye (both eyes are looking at 1440p)

DK2 is 1080p for both eyes, so actually 540 x 960 per eye. A bit difference to 1440p

Watching films on rift is like sitting in your own giant imax but watching a vhs video.

Then there is the computer requirements. DK2 @ 1080p needs to run games at constant 75fps or above to maintain 75hz, if not there will be slight judder and it looks and feels terrible. It can require up to double this, so 150fps @ 1080p. In new titles like Alien Isolation this is pretty demanding.

CV1 will be 1440p and supposedly 120hz (120fps+) I think I worked out that to run CV1, it would require 600fps+ @ 1080p to even match the refresh rate. (1440p@240fps) Good luck with that unless you have a super computer!

...That said, it (DK2) still looks good enough and the immersion makes up for it x1000 - peering around a corner or sticking your head out a car window when driving really needs to be experienced. It also brings old classics like Quake and Quake 2 alive. Necropolis has never been so atmospheric

Soldato
Hmmm, you sure on the 1440p per eye? That would seem quite odd as screens are widescreen because we have 2 eyes side by side, square panels would make more sense if you were going to do per eye.

Unless they are trying to make sure all peripheral vision is covered too?

Not saying your wrong but could you point me at a link for that? I'll go have a read around.

Last I heard that last prototype (cresent bay?) was pretty much finished apart from the tracking and it was using the LG 3G panel (which is a "normal" 1440p).

Associate
Hmmm, you sure on the 1440p per eye? That would seem quite odd as screens are widescreen because we have 2 eyes side by side, square panels would make more sense if you were going to do per eye.

Unless they are trying to make sure all peripheral vision is covered too?

Not saying your wrong but could you point me at a link for that? I'll go have a read around.

Last I heard that last prototype (cresent bay?) was pretty much finished apart from the tracking and it was using the LG 3G panel (which is a "normal" 1440p).

I think you mis-read it. He means monitors are 1440p per eye and DK2 is 540 x 960 per eye

Back
Top Bottom