Oculus Rift

Soldato
I'll wait to see the reviews for the Vive and Rift come in. I don't imagine they'll be massively different. I own both the DK1 and DK2, the second one was a big step up in usability in many respects but I rarely use it due to the amount of faff involved whereas the first was much more plug and play.

With both I spent the first 15 minutes wiping condensation from the lenses. The DK2 lenses scratched as soon as you took the plastic off.

Soldato
I'll wait to see the reviews for the Vive and Rift come in. I don't imagine they'll be massively different. I own both the DK1 and DK2, the second one was a big step up in usability in many respects but I rarely use it due to the amount of faff involved whereas the first was much more plug and play.

With both I spent the first 15 minutes wiping condensation from the lenses. The DK2 lenses scratched as soon as you took the plastic off.

Do you have a humid gaming room? Genuine question, as I dont get condesation unless I do the headstraps up too tight because I have a errrrr 'largeish' nose so my nostrils are on the inside of the headset.

This only causes a problem when im relaxed using it and breathing through my nose as when im playing intensely generally I mutter to myself, and breath through my mouth. Weird but i notice the difference immediately.

Soldato
Grrr UPS. Tracking info has been saying since 6am that it is out for delivery today..it has now hit 7pm (they deliver between 9-7) and no sign of it.

I want to go out to buy some food for dinner but sods law there will be a "i missed you" note from UPS as soon as i step out for 5 minutes :(

this will be delivery attempt no.2

Soldato
It is a bank holiday but UPS website says it was put on the truck for delivery today. I was a tad surprised to see that as i originally expected it Tuesday...because of the holiday.

Associate
Did anyone see this, seems Palmer Luckey is getting sued.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/22/us-facebook-oculus-lawsuit-idUSKBN0O72AC20150522

The founder of virtual reality glasses maker Oculus VR Inc, acquired by Facebook Inc for $2 billion, has been accused of taking confidential information he learned while working with another company and passing it off as his own, according to a lawsuit filed this week.

The plaintiff, Hawaii-based company Total Recall Technologies, said it hired Oculus founder Palmer Luckey in 2011 to build a prototype head mounted display. Luckey signed a confidentiality agreement, according to the lawsuit filed on Wednesday.

Throughout the latter half of 2011 and into 2012, Luckey received feedback and information to improve the design of the display. However, Luckey used information he learned from his partnership when he launched a Kickstarter campaign for his own head mounted display called the Oculus Rift, according to the lawsuit.

Does not look good for him if its true.

Soldato
omg so glad i went for this :D Every demo ive tried ive been really impressed with and most have blown me away. e.g. the Apollo and Deep Echo demos. I havent tried that many but the immersion is amazing you feel like you are there. Cant notice the screen door effect at all in these and same with resolution...they as minor drawbacks are completely overwhelmed by the hugely positive experience.

This is the game changer ive been waiting for :D

Soldato
Try DiscoveringSpace, that's really good if you like the space sims.

I've still got 24gb of downloaded games, tech demos, sims, programs and drivers from when I had my DK2...

Just waiting for the consumer version now (order late 2015 for arrival 2016 hopefully) I have a feeling it will require a beast of a PC though to get anyone half decent out of it :(

Soldato
Hardly, VR appeals to gamers in the same way that 3D films appeal to videophiles. Too cumbersome for the majority, but great for those looking for quality

Really? I'd have thought videophiles would be the first to deride 3D as a tacked on gimmick to add to the bullet point features of a mediocre-but-overpriced TV-set for purple shirted buffoons to peddle to foolish people who don't know any better...

I think I agree with the point you're trying to make still but I don't get your analogy - the difference is with VR the discomfort of wearing the headset is compensated for by a greatly enhanced experience... Whereas with 3D you're just a tit with silly-glasses watching a movie that if anything is worse quality and harder to watch than it would have been in HD (or soon, 4K)

Associate
Really? I'd have thought videophiles would be the first to deride 3D as a tacked on gimmick to add to the bullet point features of a mediocre-but-overpriced TV-set for purple shirted buffoons to peddle to foolish people who don't know any better...

I think I agree with the point you're trying to make still but I don't get your analogy - the difference is with VR the discomfort of wearing the headset is compensated for by a greatly enhanced experience... Whereas with 3D you're just a tit with silly-glasses watching a movie that if anything is worse quality and harder to watch than it would have been in HD (or soon, 4K)

It's frustrating that many see VR as another 3D add-on. The whole point of VR is immersion, 3D is just a consequence.

Associate
omg so glad i went for this :D Every demo ive tried ive been really impressed with and most have blown me away. e.g. the Apollo and Deep Echo demos. I havent tried that many but the immersion is amazing you feel like you are there. Cant notice the screen door effect at all in these and same with resolution...they as minor drawbacks are completely overwhelmed by the hugely positive experience.

This is the game changer ive been waiting for :D

Deep Echo is my favorite demo from recent months, though Birdy King Land is well worth checking out. Sightline The Chair and Titans of Space are essential demos if you've not seen them.

The thing with the screendoor is that it's generally not an issue with these sorts of demos as you're not trying to resolve fine detail - everything is generally big and in your face. It's a different thing when you start playing certain games though.

Talking of games, BlazeRush on Steam is a bit of a must play for bite-sized gaming, and Elite Dangerous if you have a HOTAS.

Soldato
Deep Echo is my favorite demo from recent months, though Birdy King Land is well worth checking out. Sightline The Chair and Titans of Space are essential demos if you've not seen them.

The thing with the screendoor is that it's generally not an issue with these sorts of demos as you're not trying to resolve fine detail - everything is generally big and in your face. It's a different thing when you start playing certain games though.

Talking of games, BlazeRush on Steam is a bit of a must play for bite-sized gaming, and Elite Dangerous if you have a HOTAS.

Hi thanks for the recommendations :)

Deep Echo is great - would love a game based on this! I love how the interiors are so "Real" :D It was same with another demo "Uncharted Landing" - very good and i recommend it.

Sightline the Chair was also really good. Liked the intro, the middle bit was a bit weird and low texturey but the space bit was awesome :D And i think you can do just the space bit if you want.

Titans of space is downloaded and waiting for me :)

I also tried Affected yesterday but only lasted 10 seconds as i was too scared :eek::D I will maybe brave that one later. Just the way it looks and that Elevator..omg..
The resolution that comes up (usually theres a rift menu in the game) is usually something like 2364 x 1600 or something which i thought was a bit weird..will check it later.

Last edited:
Soldato
From Ashes is really interesting, if you can get past the voice (the chap really needs a voice over), the occasional awkward pauses and the planets section. I can see this as an educational tool, explaining how we came from planetary dust to where we are today. A lot of it is skimmed but its an excellent job overall. Also the 3D in the TV section is brilliant, really made me see it for the first time whereas before I had just taken it for granted.

Apollo of course is also excellent.

Back
Top Bottom