Oculus Rift

Soldato
yeah tis a bit of a pain! I can only vaguely remember how I did it, but from what i recall its a lot of fiddling around in the rift, dragging the control panel screen over onto your (now) secondary monitor as it has to be on to be recognised. Make the Rift primary and after that its pretty much switch on when you want to use it.

Soldato
i will have a fiddle with it later. Its annoying because direct to rift has been mainly click and play with hardly any problems.

Will also get Alien and Vanishing of Ethan Carter (virieo) i think :D

Soldato
Not sure if you've played / watched any proper 3d content with that opinion.

Not sure what you mean?

Having personally used, owned and played:
  • 2D games on a computer (like Sonic)
  • 3D games on a computer (like Half Life)
  • Stereoscopic 3D games on computer (like using NVIDIA 3D Vision)
  • Watched regular movies (like Titanic)
  • Watched stereoscopic 3D movies (like Avatar)
  • Used an Oculus Rift DK1 without positional tracking
  • Used an Oculus Rift DK2 with positional tracking
  • Used an Oculus Rift DK2 to watch "regular movies" (like Titanic) in a stereoscopic 3D movie theatre
  • Used an Oculus Rift DK2 to watch stereoscopic 3D movies (like Avatar) in a stereoscopic 3D movie theatre
  • Played sterescopic 3D games with an Oculus Rift (like Elite Dangerous)
  • Played NON sterescopic 3D games with an Oculus Rift (like Dirt Rally)

I can tell you that CATEGORICALLY that any version of stereoscopic 3D does not compare to that of the experience/immersion of a VR device.

Just have a look at all the people that THINK Dirt Rally is "true stereoscopic 3D" (like you see with Nvidia 3D Vision, or with Real3D at the Cinema) only to later find out that it isn't.

https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22689&start=80

A VR headset with positional tracking is SO convincing that, even when not rendered in stereoscopic 3D, it tricks you into thinking the world has depth.

CGrieves is right - VR is a totally different experience from stereoscopic 3D as most people know it, and even without stereoscopic 3D, it's a completely compelling and game changing experience.

Until you've tried it, knowledge does not equal understanding.

This is a great video to sum up to people about any comment you make before you've tried it:

Associate
Affected did look great....unfortunately anything where you move independently like a fps gives me motion sickness in less than a minute.

Alien isolation was just as bad.

Elite , project cars , euro truck etc I'm all fine . As soon as I have to move in an environment myself my head just can't cope.

Last edited:
Soldato
Affected did look great....unfortunately anything where you move independently like a fps gives me motion sickness in less than a minute.

Elite , project cars , euro truck etc I'm all fine . As soon as I have to move in an environment myself my head just can't cope.

The only thing that gets me feeling a bit rough so far is the movement when you move into or out of a cupboard in Alien....that sudden jarring head movement is harsh!

Associate
Deep Echo is great - would love a game based on this! I love how the interiors are so "Real" :D
The developer is actually creating a game :)

Which reminds me - you need to try Vox Machinae: http://www.voxmachinae.com/demo.shtml
The resolution that comes up (usually theres a rift menu in the game) is usually something like 2364 x 1600 or something which i thought was a bit weird..will check it later.
It might just be reporting the internal rendering resolution - by default, the Rift uses a larger buffer to render to (it has to do with keeping image quality when the image distortion is applied) before being output as a 1080 image.

Last edited:
Don

You absolutely have to hit 75fps as a minimum, otherwise you're going to experience motion sickness. You have to build up a resistance too :D

Associate
Wow I just looked at the Apollo 11 demo thingy on Youtube and it looks really incredible. Cannot wait until I get one of these things.

Don
It's often overlooked, but check out War Thunder as well. You'll be absolutely uncompetitive in multiplayer, but test out some of the single player skirmishes.

Associate
Not sure if you've played / watched any proper 3d content with that opinion.

I've owned plenty of 3D tech from Nvidia 3D Vision to 3D projectors, and the only one I've retained and use daily is the DK2, so I think I'm reasonably qualified to have an opinion on it.

Trust me, VR is a completely different thing to a static screen or panel with some form of depth perception tacked on, even with head tracking.

Soldato
A VR headset with positional tracking is SO convincing that, even when not rendered in stereoscopic 3D, it tricks you into thinking the world has depth.

CGrieves is right - VR is a totally different experience from stereoscopic 3D as most people know it, and even without stereoscopic 3D, it's a completely compelling and game changing experience.

100% agree with this. Even with crappy graphics on par with standards from a decade ago, it is still an experience like nothing else. When this takes off and the graphics are at a 4K level... wow, just wow!! Until you try it, you simply know nothing, end of.

Associate
You absolutely have to hit 75fps as a minimum, otherwise you're going to experience motion sickness. You have to build up a resistance too

Deffo hitting 75fps...its just a me thing. Some people are more susceptible to it than others.

Its like reading a book in a car , that gives me it to, brain cant connect with the movement you are experiencing.....or something like that.

wikipedia page has some good info on it -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality_sickness

It does state some people get used to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Deffo hitting 75fps...its just a me thing. Some people are more susceptible to it than others.

Its like reading a book in a car , that gives me it to, brain cant connect with the movement you are experiencing.....or something like that.

wikipedia page has some good info on it -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality_sickness

It does state some people get used to it.

theyve done a lot of work on this for the CV1, i'm really hopeful theyre getting there. Of course the Vive claims to have solved it and in their own way they have, but they will need to build accompanying experiences for it from scratch. I cannot wait to see what they come up with but im hoping for a 3rd person dungeon crawler that you can zoom into at important moments. err back to point, I believe this will be a non issue in a couple of VR generations.

Soldato

This is a great video to sum up to people about any comment you make before you've tried it...

Cool video :D Annoyingly though having watched it all I want to know is: If his son tried to go back to a normal bike after the experiment would he be able to do it right away (or at least much quicker)?

Soldato
You know the good thing about that video is that it sums up the other side of the conversation as well.

For Destin (the scientist) he needs to understand that it's impossible for him to explain to people how to ride the bike.

He can preach at them all he wants about how it works ("It's SO simple to understand!") but they'll never learn until they try it.

For VR owners, what we can learn from this how futile it is to explain to people who, haven't tried it, how it feels or how wrong they are when they try and describe the device to others.

"It's just like sitting in front of a TV but REALLY close" - is the best one I've read.

I'm willing to be 99% of the people that watch that video still believe they can ride that bike first/second time... I know I do! :D

Back
Top Bottom