Oculus Rift

Soldato
The developer is actually creating a game :)

Which reminds me - you need to try Vox Machinae: http://www.voxmachinae.com/demo.shtml

It might just be reporting the internal rendering resolution - by default, the Rift uses a larger buffer to render to (it has to do with keeping image quality when the image distortion is applied) before being output as a 1080 image.

Yeah Vox Machinae was very good :D and well implemented with the 360 controller. Though i prefer the look of Deep Echo (depth textures)

Will definately get it when it gets a full release though.

Downloaded Insurgent and Darkfield (will give them a try later)

Titans of Space and From Ashes i thought were excellent and shows the potential for exciting educational content.

Soldato
Yeah sad innit? Pledge anyway- you never know!

Problems from my perspective, there are lots of games going to do the same thing before August 2016 - Star Citizen and Elite being the two that spring to mind. You have Rogue System for hardcore space combat and of course for the oculus set you have the new EVE fighter game - a multiplayer pvp experience. Im not sure who they are aiming at, the pvp crowd currently being catered for by SC or the exploration type crowd loving Elite.

When you start throwing out 'world of tanks meets counter strike... in space!' well you wont find many wot players who are space sim nuts and who havent already bought into one of the games already out there, nevermind in a year and a halfs time. Besides, quite a few 'sit in the cockpit' type players dont get the same vibe from wot and trying to mash the two?

Associate
tbh I agree with you...there is a bit of a space bandwagon rolling through at the moment.

I do love my spacey stuff ( Elite is destroying my life atm ) but that exact line you quoted kinda stopped me jumping in on the KS.

PvP isnt my first love in these kinds of games , and the thought of just running quick matches of kill each other doesnt really appeal. Hence money is still in my bank at this stage.

Soldato
just for a bit of impartiallness, just see nthis posted on the web:

http://www.pcgamer.com/steamvr-everything-you-need-to-know/

just a couple of points that confuse me:

After years of hype for the Oculus Rift, Valve suddenly became the frontrunner in the race to consumer VR when it announced SteamVR in March 2015.

based on what? Theyve only released the tech demo and dev versions are only if you plan on dev-ving with it, so no consumer release, is that enough to declare it a winner?

Valve has solved most of VR's major roadblocks, like positional tracking and motion sickness.

Positional tracking with the dk2 has been sublime for me so not sure how that was an issue, but I though the motion sickness was inherent of VR, i.e your eyes saying upside down but inner ear and brain saying stationary?

Two base stations are placed in the corners of a room, and the lasers they emit make contact with sensors arranged around the surface of the Vive headset.

See this bit is an issue for me, I don't have a room big enough to mount 2 sensors really, the monitor top oculus sensor is ideal for me.

In short, I want the best VR experience, Valve may deliver this but now I think I'm going to have to wait until both versions can be compared to decide.

Associate
In short, I want the best VR experience, Valve may deliver this but now I think I'm going to have to wait until both versions can be compared to decide.

I have to agree with you there. I haven't tried either systems, and its unlikely that I will until I actually buy one.

I wish there was a way to actually try a set before purchase.

Don
The biggest fear surrounding the Oculus is the direction that they appear to be taking in terms of the buyout by Facebook and focusing on mobile gaming. The rumours are that the Vive will be a gaming headset and Oculus will focus on other areas. Only time will tell though

Soldato
just for a bit of impartiallness, just see nthis posted on the web:

http://www.pcgamer.com/steamvr-everything-you-need-to-know/

yeah PCGamer have fallen for the hyperbole a bit.

Simply put the Vive is the 'frontrunner' because it seems to have advanced the VR concept to incorporate a room, and done it quite cleverly. In the same manner they have 'solved' motion sickness which was much much trumpeted by Gabe.

However they dont mention a couple of points. Firstly the tech is clever, but its going to be way more expensive than a Rift, I personally believe closer to the $1000, but ive heard all sorts of figures bandied about.

Secondly theyve 'solved' motion sickness because essentially every move you make in your 'holodeck' will be translated into the game world, therefore you wont have the equilibrium issues that are the main reason for motion sickness. Of course that also means that you cant play any of the games created before the Vive because theres no way to translate them into the 1:1 space, so its going to have to be totally new experiences.

The Rift will be cheaper, have access to old games, be the clear choice in terms of racing/flight sims and more centred on the seated experience. the Vive will be expensive, but Holodeck man, with totally new types of games.

Quite frankly im looking forward to, and will be buying, both.

Man of Honour
The problem I see with buying any of these devices, is there's going to be significant upgraded yearly that improve the experience massively.
Fine if you can afford it. I'll probably wait till second gen. Also gives time for more things to support them.

Soldato
I'm just not sold on the benefits of SteamVR. I've had games that involve standing up and waving your limbs around (looking at you, Wii), and after the novelty wears off it just gathers dust because gaming is my downtime and I want to sit on my ass and be comfortable. Oculus has nailed the sitting down VR experience.

If I want to be stood up and walking around, Hololens AR is much more appealing.

Soldato
People seem to latch on to the whole Vive is stand, Rift is sitting thing, they are both equally as usable in either scenario. Any game made for the Rift will likely work on the Vive as well. Including old games using vorpx to convert them.

You will obviously be stuck using a controller like the xbox one which will take most of the immersion away from it but it will still work.

I think once people use either headset with native software and a control system like the Vives they will change their minds on it all in an instant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Insurgent aint too bad. :D Really large demo though. 3 gigs or smt.

Tried a 40mb running simulator type demo. You run on the spot to move away from an Ed 209 robot and its not bad. In stuff like this the Vive with its much increased range possibility would be ideal for these type of games.

After the initial wow factor of the DK2 (albeit havent tried elite or Alien yet) yeah resolution is something that needs to be higher and sharper..things are a bit blurry. The sde doesnt bother me but reducing that further can only be good.

I managed to make it to the little girl in the Affected demo (Manor) then i just couldnt handle it haha. I would like it if some of these demos were more interactive rather than just walking around admiring the landscape.

Anyone elses DK2 sometimes glitchy (flashing and flickering initially) when first starting?

Soldato
CV1 and the Vive will be worlds apart from the DK2, improvements all around, infact if Oculus and Valve hadn't of released the resolution info, I'm sure people would have thought it was higher when putting the HMD on. Lets not forget the massive difference high FPS will make on visual fidelity as well thanks to temporal anti-aliasing.

Soldato
I wonder if any owners can comment on this... One thing I just keep thinking whenever I consider the whole VR thing is that for me quite often bright screens become a real strain on the eyes (doubly so when I've been at work in front of screens all day/week as well) - not enough to stop me playing but noticeable

Is having screens practically pressed right up against your eyeballs not an incredibly extreme version of this? Or are the screens dimmed or filtered in some way to try and avoid being too overwhelming? [/grandpa]

Soldato
Insurgent aint too bad. :D Really large demo though. 3 gigs or smt.

Tried a 40mb running simulator type demo. You run on the spot to move away from an Ed 209 robot and its not bad. In stuff like this the Vive with its much increased range possibility would be ideal for these type of games.

After the initial wow factor of the DK2 (albeit havent tried elite or Alien yet) yeah resolution is something that needs to be higher and sharper..things are a bit blurry. The sde doesnt bother me but reducing that further can only be good.

I managed to make it to the little girl in the Affected demo (Manor) then i just couldnt handle it haha. I would like it if some of these demos were more interactive rather than just walking around admiring the landscape.

Anyone elses DK2 sometimes glitchy (flashing and flickering initially) when first starting?

yeah the DK2 definitely has a sucky resolution, especially obvious in flight sims when youre trying to read gauges. I was actually thinking of selling mine, but every time i put it on i get sucked right back in again. Finally got rise of flight working yesterday in 2d - its the little things that make me hold onto it.

What do you mean glitchy? Mine starts up in extended mode and stays that way. I dont recall any flickering.

Soldato
yeah the DK2 definitely has a sucky resolution, especially obvious in flight sims when youre trying to read gauges. I was actually thinking of selling mine, but every time i put it on i get sucked right back in again. Finally got rise of flight working yesterday in 2d - its the little things that make me hold onto it.

What do you mean glitchy? Mine starts up in extended mode and stays that way. I dont recall any flickering.

Sometimes when i switch it on i get flickering lights but it goes away after about a minute. Its almost like it could be a connection issue i dunno. I have it connected to my DVI slot on graphcis card using hdmi cable (adaptor).

I have found switching it off and on resolves most problems :D

I havent noticed any judder or stuttering at all (or only a little) - i am pleased with how smooth the tracking has been and such.

Can you recommend any flight sim type games that can be used with the dk2?
As i have a hotas setup i just bought..only the thrustmaster but id like to get some use out of it

Associate
I wonder if any owners can comment on this... One thing I just keep thinking whenever I consider the whole VR thing is that for me quite often bright screens become a real strain on the eyes (doubly so when I've been at work in front of screens all day/week as well) - not enough to stop me playing but noticeable

Is having screens practically pressed right up against your eyeballs not an incredibly extreme version of this? Or are the screens dimmed or filtered in some way to try and avoid being too overwhelming? [/grandpa]

Since I was a teenager I've suffered from very bright light triggering migraines (I've worn light reactive glasses for the past 25+ years), but the Rift has never caused me any issues in that regard at all. Saying that, normal monitors don't generally cause me an issue, so your mileage may vary. I've always found the Rift visually stress free though.

Back
Top Bottom