OCZ VERTEX 2E FIRMWARE 1.28 + GUIDE

Associate
(THIS GUIDE HAS FULL SUPPORT FOR VERTEX2 AND VERTEX3 SSD'S!)

Firmware 1.35 has been released!

Issues resolved since version 1.34
? Further improved the File System block error handling process
? Enhanced internal error handling during power los

Issues resolved since version 1.32

?Further enhanced robustness of data loss protection due to power interruption
?Fixed a rare issue with multiple 320GB or larger capacity drives in a LSI 9211 RAID0 configuration that would cause the drive to drop out from the RAID under heavy workload

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE:
Firmware 1.32 had quite a lot of changes to it.
Issues resolved since version 1.29

?Improved read disturb handling at the end of life of the NAND flash
?Corrected the SMART attribute range floor to be set to 1 for all attributes
?Reduced the time required to wake up from sleep & standby
?Fixed an issue that required the first non-data command after reset to be IDENTIFY
?Increased the number of bad blocks that can be handled, thus improving NAND flash end of life behavior
?Fixed ClearSMARTbehavior to match the description in the SRM
?Added Enhanced Security Erase methods supporting military erase protocols
?Fixed a rare condition that could cause the drive to reset and clear the data
?Fixed a condition in which a drive could hang if repeatedly rebooted without sufficient time to recover between cycles
?Updated flash configuration settings for Intel/Micron 25nm flash support
?Improved the SATA behavior with respect to the CONT signal in order to work around limitations with some hosts
?Reduced the drive boot time when it was shutdown using the STANDBY IMMEDIATE command
?Improved FW efficiency for performance improvements of up to 5%
?Fixed SMART Attribute 194 to correctly display negative numbers in the normalized data field
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't know if you guys were aware that firmware 1.33 is now available. Below here is a guide on how to update the firmware of your SSD. For users with AHCI enabled it may be possible to update through the toolbox, (will most likely crash system, this is normal, reboot and it will be fine. This is when drive is set to primary.)

OCZ Toolbox will work fine without crash/bluescreen if drive is set to secondary, remember that for the toolbox software to see the drive you must have your controller option set to AHCI. IDE will not find the drive.

This tutorial is an easy alternative to the toolbox and can be done quickly.
Updating using the Linux update tool below.

-IMPORTANT
(The firmware updates on these drives will most likely never work in older boards that dont support AHCI mode. I tried my machine, a spare and finally had to plug it into my dads P5Q, enable AHCI and the process worked.

Video Tutorial

Ok lets get started...

We will need to download two files

1. Parted Magic ISO - (128mb)
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads

2. You will also need the Linux flashing tool - (this will be ran in terminal)
NOTE- an internet connection is required, this will automatically pick up the latest firmware for the Solid State Drive. (Currently 1.33)
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...sed-firmware-upddate-tool&p=584501#post584501
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok now we have downloaded the files.

3. Burn the iso using your preferred burning application (i used imgburn)

4. Lets take the linux flashing tool and put it on a USB flash pen. Make sure it is extracted. Put the file in a folder. (i named it fwupd)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Booting into Parted Magic - Flashing the SSD ,
1. Restart your machine and boot to CD.

Select the first option and load the OS into your RAM.
jb703k.jpg

This will take around 1min to enter the system, please be patient.
Once on, select the USB key that we put the Linux flashing tool onto.
333h83r.jpg

Select the drive where you have saved the flashing tool and hit MOUNT.
4gq2r7.jpg

Notice it wil be successfully mounted if it now gives you the option to UNMOUNT.
(Also while still at this window make a note of how the drive is labled that you wish to flash as this info will be needed later.
In this example the drive I am flashing is /sda. Ignore any numbers appearing after the three letters.
fvdb2u.jpg

Now in the directory of the USB, select the folder wher the flash tool is based. (remember i named it fwupd) Select and open.
b5it5d.jpg

Now right click the flashing tool and select properties
2nt8ww5.jpg

Copy the location as seen in this screenshot below,(this will locate where the flashing tool is)
2exa8ap.jpg

Next go to Tools, Open Terminal (this is where the flashing process is done.)
s1t20z.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updating the firmware.

1. At the Command Prompt in the Terminal window type "CD", press the space bar then right-click and paste the location
info from above and press Enter. The Command Prompt should now show you are at the folder containing the flashing utility.
2434236.jpg

2.Now type "./fwupd /dev/sdx" where "x" is the letter of the drive you wish to flash and press the Enter key. Be sure
to leave a space between "./fwupd" and "/dev/sdx" "You should know the value of "x" from when you mounted the USB stick.
If the flash was successful the info should look similar to the screen below. (Note i inserted the command
"./fwupd /dev/sda" this will be most likely what you will have to insert, to make sure have a look in mounted devices again)

b6qzkk.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reboot and enjoy! :cool:

Note:
This is a developed guide from the one in the link below. All intentions to my guide were to develop a tutorial that is more user friendly and adaptable for the mainstream to understand.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...288-Using-The-Linux-Flasher-With-Parted-Magic
Bunyan

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I know there is that option, but this way you can have a GUI behind it, making mounting the drives a little easier. + Was that not a recovery disc you needed to use? This is a bit more lightweight :)

Associate
OP
there is a point, the toolbox causes a bluescreen in 99% cases and you can sometime lose the drive from BIOS which the only fix is to switch machine off for 5mins and turn back on. This is a lot more safe.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the good info DragonQ, i guess this guide can still apply for the newer firmwares that will come out. I will update it in the near future. But still a good method for people who are on very early versions.

Associate
OP
Not being rude. But why? as there's already a comprehensive guide on the OCZ forums. I just can't see the point personally in just cut & pasting someone else guide here!

As already posted: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...ootable-CD-USB-Linux..-Point-and-Click-Method

at least just posting a link gives the original author some credit for their work!

I made the guide as user friendly as possible, plus i would like to share it with ocuk members, whats your issue? I'm only trying to help people, i for one would rather read a guide from ocuk than OCZ.

Associate
OP
Cheers and I completely understand and as well agree with you! I will edit it if any changes are made. Not only this but i will reference the OCZ forum guide as well. As I say I tried to explain the process more than rather a step by step method.

Would a video tutorial prove useful as I could definetly develop one :)

Associate
OP
When I get back from University tomorrow I will create a video which should really ease the process for people who are still confused.

Yeah mate my board (P5N-E SLI) had the same issue that locked the drive witihn Parted Magic, i simply put it in a P5Q changed the controller to AHCI and worked a treat!

Yep so anyhow expect a video that will quickly go through step by step!

Cheers
Bunyan.

Associate
OP
If you have a look at the first post, I updated it yesterday with a link to the original as well as reasoning behind my editing. I think you need to take a step back and calm down. This is not a 4,000 word report by any means, I am only trying to help people.

Associate
OP
I think it's a psychological thing as well, people just love to be on the latest revisions of firmwares out, updating everything and anything possible.

Each to there own I guess :D
But really if your on 1.24 there is no gain by going to 1.28 apart from as mentioned previously very minor bug fixes.

Bunyan

Back
Top Bottom