OCZ VERTEX 2E FIRMWARE 1.28 + GUIDE

Associate
OP
The firmware won't detect my SSD :S

How do I find out what firmware it is on?

the SSD intermittently won't detect when I switch to ACHI, atm it's the only drive in my laptop and is running as 'RAID'

If i try switching to 'ACHI' after installing W7, am I setting myself upto problems?

When you go to next re-install Windows, set to AHCI in BIOS firstly, then install windows over the top after doing a secure erase, (the secure erase will bring it back to optimum speeds).

Associate
OP
Bunyan I seen you mentioned your board doesn't have AHCI (same as mine) so I thought we wouldn't be able to do a secure erase or firmware update whilst running under IDE mode or am I mistaken?

Your 100% correct, you cannot update nor secure erase under IDE mode. I have to boot up my SSD into my dad's machine, set his board to AHCI and use the live cd. Bit of a hassle but works non the less! :)

Associate
OP
You can do, although a Windows environment is not as stable as one within Linux. Should be fine. If I was you I would just use Parted Magic.

Up to you though, and what your friend is comfortable with.
Good luck!

Associate
OP
Sorry to hijack slightly. I have not updated firmware since i got my drive almost 1year ago. I have read most of the thread but it doesnt say much about firmware prior to 1.24.

Should i at least update to 1.24? What benefit will i see? Sorry for any lack of understanding i show.
Appreciate any help.

1.32 is the latest firmware available and hosts a number of changes that are beneficial, some even state of performance improvements. Just follow the guide on this thread and you will be fine.

Don't worry about getting the latest firmware, the updating tool within any Linux OS (Parted Magic being used in example) will get the latest file.

Hi Bunyan,

I have found that my SSD was frozen and was showing firmware 1.12 when the actual firmware was 1.24. Also erase option wasn't working correctly. I looked at the error message and it said use another sata port, so I fixed this issue by connecting my SSD to sata_0

Now I have another problem. I can't get the Internet working within Partionmagic via Ethernet nor wireless. I am using D-Link DWA-111

Any ideas on how to get this working ?

Bashy

Try using Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution using a Live CD and see if it accepts your ethernet connection, you may need to manually configure the NIC adapter.

Back
Top Bottom