***Offical Dead Rising 2 Thread***

Soldato
hi

im thinking of getting this or fifa 11 next week for my ps3 , i played the first on the 360 and remember i got to about the first boss (clown i think) and quit because it was to hard.

I seem to remember the controls being to hard and also the save system.

have these things been improved?

Soldato
hi

im thinking of getting this or fifa 11 next week for my ps3 , i played the first on the 360 and remember i got to about the first boss (clown i think) and quit because it was to hard.

I seem to remember the controls being to hard and also the save system.

have these things been improved?
There was nothing to improve on the save system, that's what Capcom set out to do, stop people rushing through the game in one sitting and instead plan/manage your way through it. Due to the whining the game now has 3 save slots and more frequent save locations though.

Can't comment on the controls as they seem perfect overall and I don't remember much of DR1's controls it seems. Yeah that clown was hard, but he was hard for a reason - his chainsaws were the best weapons in the entire game.

Soldato
Just remember, as a low level you'll get stomped by most pyscho's (as in DR1). During death you can either reload, or just restart the game and your character's levels will carry over.

I did this once at Lv10, when I stupidly found myself very far away from a key 'case', which I had no time to get to. Glad I did really as you get a lot of easy survivor rescues at the start of the game.

Soldato
ah thinking of picking this up. i remember doing the zombie genocide achievement on the first game, that was fun! :p

so.....general thoughts so far on this are its good? is there a time limit to everything you do? i.e what if i want to go exploring?

Soldato
You get to explore upon finishing case files, which are followed up by your daughters zombrex treatment quests.

Case File 1/2 etc
Katie's Zombrex treatment
Free time to kill
Case File 3/4 etc
Katie's Zombrex treatment
Free time to kill
rinse and repeat.

Must admit I am finding the game hard in places. Right now I am focusing on case files, and katie's treatments, with the odd survivor rescue if I have the time. I've killed a fair share of psycho's, but bugger me there are some real HARD ones out there.

Soldato
If you fail a case file, then the game continues going as DR1 did, however the case file tree becomes void and you can no longer follow the story but still play on - if that makes sense.

Best bet is to save at the nearest point before undergoing a casefile. Then you can just reload if you fail.

Soldato
really enjoying this game :)

i've only done case 1 once, i've been trying to get 8 survivors following me at once, the most i've had so far is 6 (5 with broadswords +1 slow one that cant fight..). they keep turning on me as i catch one or two in big fights, lol.

anyway to get the slow useless ones you can only carry, to arm themselves or best to just drop them off at the safe house? old woman and puke girl

i've made it to level 14 so far, will do the story properly when i'm a much higher level

Man of Honour
Or do what I'm doing, ignore the case files and just go on a zombie/psychopath hunt with random exploration thrown in :D
That's going to be my second playthrough I think. The first will be to solve the story and get to grips with where everything is. On the 2nd playthrough I'll fail the main story right away and just concentrate on saving survivors and levelling up, and killing as many zombies as possible :D

Associate
Why is it the critical element? I'd say the killing zombies in a variety of imaginative ways was the crucial element. It would be nice to at least have a sandbox mode option to just muck about in.

Sandbox mode = Start a game and do no missions (let katey die if you want even) you have a lot of time to do whatever you want and when the military shows up and it ends you can save and your levels are kept no matter how bad the ending is.

Soldato
I don't think I have any spoilers in here, just general game info surrounding the time limits and tactics.

I'm not really struggling to mix everything together and really enjoying the game. I don't think I've missed a survivor mission yet. And I've only had 1 survivor die (although I've had 2 XXX is dead, when I've not been near anyone), because he turned on me when I was killing zombies with my broad sword.

Basically, I wait for a new case file and go on a survivor hunt. You get new survivor missions when you get new case files, so I prioritise a survivor area and take along some shotties + rifles. Once I have my army of survivors I head to a psycho or two and none of them have caused me any problems while I have my army of helpers. Once the psychos are dead I head back, drop off the guys and go do the case.

Some survivors require a bit of special planning due to their inability to arm themselves, but I work around them. The shortcuts through the map are massively important. The zombrex hasnt been an issue either, and I've treated survivors with it, with more to spare for Katie. Might have to buy a dose next, but usually the storyline seems to give you some just when you need it.

Caporegime
Sandbox mode = Start a game and do no missions (let katey die if you want even) you have a lot of time to do whatever you want and when the military shows up and it ends you can save and your levels are kept no matter how bad the ending is.

Oh right cool, if you can do that then I might actually get this :)

Soldato
In DR1 we had those annoying jeep/convicts within the park grounds of the mall to contend with. I think DR2 has an equivalent in the form of a couple of nasties who hand out in the middle park areas of DR2. They're armed and a right nuisance.

Not sure how to reach them just yet.

Soldato
Just found an easy way of making money at the start. There's a sports shop near the safehouse in the mall and it has a golf simulator, play it repeatedly for loads of cash. Then went and bought loads of Zombrex from the nearby pawnshop.

Last edited:
Soldato
In DR1 we had those annoying jeep/convicts within the park grounds of the mall to contend with. I think DR2 has an equivalent in the form of a couple of nasties who hand out in the middle park areas of DR2. They're armed and a right nuisance.

We only came across one and to get to it you need to climb on several platforms need by.

Soldato
any point playing strip poker in the safe house? I mean do you win anything.

Edit: I just won, you don't win money only PP.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I've killed 3 of them up to now. For one of them, you can reach them just by climbing up next to them. For 2 that are higher up, there are ladders around the corner from the building they're on, which take you to the roof where you can fight them :)

Back
Top Bottom