***Official 2010 F1 thread***

Soldato
Well, no, but to say that Ferrari are favourites, means that he has a lot of confidence in Ferrari being able to overcome the advantage that RedBull are currently enjoying.

During the wet races, the likes of Button, Hamilton, Alonso, etc were able to trounce the RedBulls, by using superior skill (in the wet) and strategies, but once we reach the dry races, RedBull will be very difficult to beat. We all saw just how difficult it is to overtake in the dry and assuming that RedBull continue to occupy the front row of the grid (in the dry), Ferrari and McLaren will find it difficult to get 25 points, unless they can gain time.

I dont think McLaren need to gain that much more time any more - its down to tyre wear alone I think, which could favour the driver behind at the first stop (being slightly less worn)

Ferrari need to gain reliability - and depending on the issue it might be easy to solve without power loss. The problem for McLaren is whether they can start well and not get bogged down behind the Ferrari's, who I dont believe can keep up with the Red Bulll's for a whole race in the dry

Soldato
My feelilng is that Alonso would be able to keep up with the leaders' pace. The problem with all 4 races is that Alonso has been stuck behind his team-mate. In the first race, after he overtook Massa during the pitstops, he opened up a gap. In the 4th race, after he overtook him in the pitlane entrace, once again he opened up a gap.

The big advantage for RedBull is that their qualifying pace is stunning. This means that Alonso/Hamilton (or whoever), needs to either:
1. overtake them off the line (which is doable) OR
2. overtake them during the pitstops (which is possible, but more difficult) OR
3. overtake them on-track, which on a dry track, is nigh on impossible (barring extraordinary circumstances).

I still feel that Ferrari and McLaren need to close the gap, especially in qualifying, to stand a chance against the RedBulls. This of course, assumes that the reliability of all cars, are good.

Soldato
fair enough :)

The other significant factor in RB's favour is that from my own observations they do seem significantly faster into and out of the box in a pitstop than McLaren (from casual observation it seems RB are averaging 4-5s when going smoothly, where McLaren are 6s or so)

How many more GP's this season in changable conditions - GB, Belgium, Germany.....:D

Soldato
I know! Annoying these three week ones, but then I think the one week gaps are too small as well. The two weeks is ideal for me personally :p

3 weeks are annoying, 1 weeks are awesome! I've also loved the BBC taking over the coverage in the UK because i watch every practise and quali on iPlayer hehe.

If Bernie does get his wish and manages a 25 race season we'll see a lot more 1 week gaps. As long as its seperated into Asian, European and American i think its fine, if they start mixing it up it gets silly.

Transmission breaker
Don
3 weeks are annoying, 1 weeks are awesome! I've also loved the BBC taking over the coverage in the UK because i watch every practise and quali on iPlayer hehe.

If Bernie does get his wish and manages a 25 race season we'll see a lot more 1 week gaps. As long as its seperated into Asian, European and American i think its fine, if they start mixing it up it gets silly.

The problem is that the engineers, teams, and travelling staff will have a very hard life with such a busy season. They already have to be away from home for large parts of the year at the moment!

Soldato
The problem is that the engineers, teams, and travelling staff will have a very hard life with such a busy season. They already have to be away from home for large parts of the year at the moment!

Thats true, but I suppose it depend on how its worked. This season is a 35 week season running from March 12th through until 14th November with 19 races. In total there are 4x 1 week gaps, 12x 2 week gaps, 1x 3 week gap and 1x 4 week gap.

With better planning (not starting in Bahrain then going to Australia and ending with Brazil and then Abu Dhabi) it shouldn't be too difficult to fit 6 more races in without extending the season at all.

If you assume that the 6 would be split between the Americas, Asia and Europe/Middle East, realistically most of the team would only be away from home (assuming the teams go from one race straight to the next on the fly aways) for 4 more weeks.

Obviously its upto Bernie and FOTA to come to some kind of arrangement as there would still be a substantial time away from home.

Soldato
I cant seee teams agreeing to many more races to be fair (and I dont think its fair on the personell either) - obviously only a few here really know how tough that is

Thats 33% or so extra races to get the total to 25 - surely thats too much (can you see the teams agreeing to pay anything like that extra to the race personell?)

As a spectator I would love that many though

Soldato
If there is a market for extra races (ie. if ticket and advertising revenue can cover the costs), then there is nothing wrong with having extra races.

If the existing staff can't handle the work load, then guess what guys - you hire more staff. All businesses work in exactly this way.

Man of Honour
OP
I can't see there being more than 20 races. More than that would leave little winter development/testing and very little development between races.

Soldato
If the existing staff can't handle the work load, then guess what guys - you hire more staff. All businesses work in exactly this way.

when FIA want budget cuts!!!

The only way is to offer the same staff more money rather than hiring someone new imo

And no I dont believe it is like most other jobs /businesses

Soldato
An F1 team has to be run like a business. Its income stream is mainly from sponsors and the money the FIA give them.

Their expenses are vast and just like any business, if there is an opportunity to take part in more races then teams can charge their sponsors more money, as their brand names are going to paraded in front of more people.

Perhaps you are one of those mavericks who wouldnt want to run their team like a business, but you won't survive for long, as your income will quickly be dwarfed by expenses.

As I said, just like any business, if you have more customers/events/races/services (or whatever the business is selling), you hire more staff. It really is a simple as that.

All the larger teams have used this technique, which is why teams such as McLaren and Ferrari, who have higher budgets (read, income), are able to keep more staff on their payroll, as compared to the smaller/newer teams. This is exactly how businesses work - larger companies have more customers, so hire more staff. Conversely, smaller businesses have fewer customers so hire few staff. This really is elementary and I'm surprised this is even open to debate.

Regarding budget cuts: the teams would obviously have to explain to the FIA that if they decide to increase the number of races, then budgets will not be able to shrink to the same levels, previously agreed. This obviously would need to be discussed.

Man of Honour
Regarding budget cuts: the teams would obviously have to explain to the FIA that if they decide to increase the number of races, then budgets will not be able to shrink to the same levels, previously agreed. This obviously would need to be discussed.

Exactly - you would expect it to increase roughly in line with the amount of additional races, depending on the location. But then they will have more money from TV, sponsors, etc so balances out.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
An F1 team has to be run like a business. Its income stream is mainly from sponsors and the money the FIA give them.

To borrow from the very excellent article on F1 Rejects about the fall of TWR Arrows:

"I can tell you they didn't. Instead, they promised that Arrows would be the best business."

That was the answer given at the start of 1999 by Scott Lanphere, a director of Morgan Grenfell Private Equity. He had been asked if MGPE had been lured into buying a 45% stake in the Arrows team by Tom Walkinshaw and colourful Nigerian Prince Malik Ado Ibrahim with the promise that Arrows would become the best team in F1. If any quote summed up the Arrows philosophy under Tom Walkinshaw Racing (TWR) ownership, there are few more telling one-liners. And perhaps it goes some way to explaining Arrows' demise during 2002, and ultimately TWR's receivership recently.
Rest of that article is here. Pretty much required reading on the subject of how not to go about racing in Formula One.

Associate
The goal of adding more races to the F1 season is so that they can include races in developing markets/untapped markets. All the new races will be in places like Shanghai and India (in 2011 I think).

It's a smart move for the future of the sport, and when Bernie leaves (which won't be too long IMO) it may be one of his lasting legacies. China and India particularly have enormous monetary potential for F1 if they can get it popular. They can market it as a sort of 'up-market' sport that is links glamour with the rising affluence in the countries. Particularly if Chandhok has some success in a few years you can expect it to explode in India.

They really need to make sure the tracks actually make exicting races though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom