Poll: Official 2023 Austrian Grand Prix Thread - Red Bull Ring, Spielberg - Round 10

Rate the Austrian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Interesting from that video that it was (allegedly?) more a case of better detection rather than something major had changed, and that seems like a good thing really.

Perhaps the penalty system should just be automated to avoid this issue? Including a message to the driver/dash to warn them. Would largely/entirely save this problem surely.

Or, things like gravel traps... Surely it would be pretty easy to have a gravel trap with a cover, for motorbike racing/other stuff put the cover on and it's all good, for F1 take the cover off and watch as the drivers magically learn how to keep to track limits.
A cover, you're kidding right?

Soldato
Interesting from that video that it was (allegedly?) more a case of better detection rather than something major had changed, and that seems like a good thing really.

Perhaps the penalty system should just be automated to avoid this issue? Including a message to the driver/dash to warn them. Would largely/entirely save this problem surely.

Or, things like gravel traps... Surely it would be pretty easy to have a gravel trap with a cover, for motorbike racing/other stuff put the cover on and it's all good, for F1 take the cover off and watch as the drivers magically learn how to keep to track limits.
An F1 equivalent of a road cars lane departure system?

Soldato
As already stated, the FIA has requested gravel traps but the issue with those is that other series that also race there don't want them may ask to the traps removed.
There needs to be some more 'holistic' thinking...

Last edited:
Soldato
It sounds like what more drivers were suffering from was a big delay in being told they've got a penalty. If you go over a line, and don't hear anything for 5-10 laps, you assume that what you're doing is within the limits.

Perhaps they need to introduce an automated system that warns the driver / race control instantly if they're outside of the white lines. Something like Hawkeye.

Caporegime
Can't they just put a sensor in cars for next year and strips on the track. So it's automatic.

I'm actually surprised the drivers did it so much. Its not worth it. But they all seemed to do it.

I get it in qualifying. You're pushing 5o the absolute edge. But in the race? When you know you can't get away with it?

Soldato
A cover, you're kidding right?

Nope :p

I don't see it being impossible. I'm thinking a thin-ish strip of gravel, say 1m wide, with a metal cover that bolts down over it painted in that grip paint they use on kerbs (and by traffic lights...). That small strip of gravel would be plenty to stop the F1 drivers and a painted cover would be fine for motorbikes. It'd be a hassle switching between but nothing too hard really.

Soldato
Nope :p

I don't see it being impossible. I'm thinking a thin-ish strip of gravel, say 1m wide, with a metal cover that bolts down over it painted in that grip paint they use on kerbs (and by traffic lights...). That small strip of gravel would be plenty to stop the F1 drivers and a painted cover would be fine for motorbikes. It'd be a hassle switching between but nothing too hard really.

Would the metal cover be not too slippy for bikes?

Soldato
Would the metal cover be not too slippy for bikes?

Hence the grip paint, it wouldn't be ideal but not that bad, also this is a decent way off the racing line anyway by that point it's likely they'd either have crashed already or 'sat up' and making it a non-issue.

It sounds potentially dangerous for a car, imagine if it came loose and a car ran over it?

Hence bolted down? Again it's off line so there won't be cars running over it constantly, it shouldn't be a problem.

Soldato
I get it in qualifying. You're pushing 5o the absolute edge. But in the race? When you know you can't get away with it?
Lose a tenth per lap because you’re being careful on the exit of one corner and that’ll soon add up over 50 laps..

Caporegime
Lose a tenth per lap because you’re being careful on the exit of one corner and that’ll soon add up over 50 laps..

But they aren't doing it enough to make it worth it.
They are doing it 5 times then getting hit.

I get it if you are directly defending. But if you're on strike 3, it makes no sense to do it twice and get that 5secs to save a tenth of 2.

Its like perez in quali. All he needed was to do a lap. And he didn't. Boggles my mind as we've had track limits before. But nothing like this.

Last edited:
Associate
If the rule hasnt changed this year , even if the monitoring wasnt as detailed, why haven't we seen it elsewhere anywhere close ?

Has this partially been masked by many of the tracks being street circuits with little to no run offs and lower corner speeds ?

Of the two true road circuits , Canada layout has a lot of grass and barriers close to the track and less long high speed corners?

Not sure whats different about Barcelona , is it due to it having more constant radius curves?

Last edited:
Associate
Put a line of powder paint down so it marks the tyres everytime they do it.
unfortunately I don't this this would work for several reasons
1. you can't powder the white line because the rules allow for the car to go over the limit as long as one inner wheel is still inside the track
2. powdering would also, i think, need to constantly be replaced otherwise one or two cars go over leaving a nice clear section for the others to take advantage of

I've always said and thought that as the white line is the track limit enforce it around the entire track, remove the "gain an advantage" part of the wording and keep it simple and unambiguous. Any car that fully leaves the track, meaning no part of the tyre is in contact with the tarmac, will be warned 3 times, after that penalties will be applied.
removing the gaining advantage means no more need to investigate, they have pinpoint gps i'm sure so it could potentially be automated.

Caporegime
unfortunately I don't this this would work for several reasons

I wasn't being serious there. More seriously, I think the idea of a strip of grass or gravel would work, but I don't know whether it works for motorbikes, etc.

I've always said and thought that as the white line is the track limit enforce it around the entire track, remove the "gain an advantage" part of the wording and keep it simple and unambiguous. Any car that fully leaves the track, meaning no part of the tyre is in contact with the tarmac, will be warned 3 times, after that penalties will be applied.
removing the gaining advantage means no more need to investigate, they have pinpoint gps i'm sure so it could potentially be automated.

I think the problem is that you don't want to double penalise drivers when they get run off track by another driver, or when they have a genuine lock-up and go wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom