Official 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix Race Thread - Hungaroring, Budapest - Race 13/24

Soldato
I don't ever remember Russell impressing in the wet? I don't think Russell is much of a feel driver. His skill is delivering precision, particularly over a single lap. Changeable conditions don't let him tune in on that perfect lap.
Didn't he qualify 2nd in Spa (the race that was rained out)? Could be down to the Williams being more grippy thanks to bad aero, but he's done relatively well in the wet although nothing too memorable.

Caporegime
Didn't he qualify 2nd in Spa (the race that was rained out)? Could be down to the Williams being more grippy thanks to bad aero, but he's done relatively well in the wet although nothing too memorable.

From my memory, wasn't Spa more about timing than brilliance? Still, he did well to keep it on track in tricky conditions. It's not that he's bad in the wet, just that it doesn't seem to be a particular skill of his - e.g. Lewis, Vettel, or Schumacher you always expected them to impress more than ever in the rain, Russell is where he always is. Someone like Checo, in contrast, goes backwards in the wet.

Associate

He finished second in the Williams but from memory that was primarily down to them doing an extra warm up lap ? or something along those lines, they basically did something that no other teams did and it worked brilliantly. I remember the team principle mentioning it but sadly my memory is too bad to remember the exact details.

Last edited:
Soldato
From my memory, wasn't Spa more about timing than brilliance? Still, he did well to keep it on track in tricky conditions. It's not that he's bad in the wet, just that it doesn't seem to be a particular skill of his - e.g. Lewis, Vettel, or Schumacher you always expected them to impress more than ever in the rain, Russell is where he always is. Someone like Checo, in contrast, goes backwards in the wet.
Agree that there are definitely better/more noteworthy drivers. Vettel was the first one that came to mind.
He finished second in the Williams but from memory that was primarily down to them doing an extra warm up lap ? or something along those lines, they basically did something that no other teams did and it worked brilliantly. I remember the team principle mentioning it but sadly my memory is too bad to remember the exact details.
Yea I can’t remember the exact situation except that he was one of the last, but still impressive to keep it together on such a long track.

Soldato
Whilst its fair to say Hamilton is probably the better driver in the wet it should be pointed he was running a bit more downforce than Russell at Silverstone which would factor into the difference in pace between them in these conditions.
Plus George's car had a water leak and was down on power from lap 2/3...

Caporegime
With a superb Sprint win in Silverstone, and a dominant feature win today, it feels like Kimi Antonelli has found his feet in F2 at last. I reckon that's his 2025 Mercedes seat wrapped up right there.

Caporegime
So unless there are crashes or mechanical failures etc, it's going to be Norris, Piastri or Max. Really don't know which one to pick/predict as the winner.

Looks like Ferrari and Merc are too far off and Leclerc, Sainz and Hamilton will only be battling each other for 4th-6th.

I expect Russell to get into the points. I doubt Perez will because he is ****.

Soldato
From a constructor point of view, I’d love to see a McLaren 1-2 with Max third and Perez out the points. It’d close up the constructors nicely and at least we’d have one close championship.

Back
Top Bottom