Poll: Official 2024 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread - Autodromo Nazionale Monza - Race 16/24

Rate the Monzo race out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

• I’m not voting, I just want to see the results

Results are only viewable after voting.
"It's going to be dull"? We now have a number of teams who, depending on the track, look like they can win races. Because Red Bull aren't in amongst those for now its suddenly become dull, really? Pretty sure it was duller at the start of the season when Red Bull were winning and no one else was close.
Depends on whether the other teams are able to be competitive at any of the remaining races - McLaren seem to be the only relatively consistent team, so at least let them race and keep things interesting.

Agreed. People wanted racing, and they're getting racing. With team orders it would've been another procession, and it's clear that Norris isn't anything special at this point.

I really think it's premature to be calling on Piastri to play a support role. He was faster than Norris yesterday and had every right to pass him and beat him on track - and good on him for doing so. The last thing he'll want to do is paint himself into a wingman role already - next year's WDC could well be up for the grabs between him and Norris if McLaren do have the best car.

I also don't think Norris deserves the title. He's not in the same conversation as Max, Lewis and Alonso.

I don't think you need to be a Max or Lewis to win a title. Norris might not be in the same conversation as that pair, but I can see him alongside Rosberg, Button, Hill, or Räikkönen. If Norris does pull a miracle out of the bag and take the WDC he will have earned it.

Agreed. People wanted racing, and they're getting racing. With team orders it would've been another procession, and it's clear that Norris isn't anything special at this point.

I'd rather see Max win again and have McLaren race each other. Unless RB fix their car, which is unlikely given where we are in the season, it's going to be incredibly dull.

I also don't think Norris deserves the title. He's not in the same conversation as Max, Lewis and Alonso.

it's going to be incredibly dull ? really I think we have had the best races compared to when no one was getting anywhere close Max , the packs closed up usually happens after year or 2 after new regulations

Last edited:
I'm also happy that the McLaren's are able to race, but agree it's likely going to cost them an increased chance at the WDC. I'd written off the possibility of anyone but Max winning this year as I thought he'd done enough early on to take it, but I'll admit that I was wrong to do so. I still think it's all but his - particularly as the other teams trade wins diluting the points a bit. Perhaps McLaren made a similar mistake to me and set their goals elsewhere. Now that the chance of WDC is back on they've not set the groundwork for maximising it.

I like both McLaren drivers so if one were to always bow to the other that'd be a shame for me personally. That being said I think Norris is currently slightly better (from about lap 5 to the end), Piastri is certainly quick but not quite there yet on managing tyres for the whole race in the same way. I think that can make it seem harder work for him to achieve the same result if that makes sense?

Or - and it might be harsh to Norris - is this not a case of Norris 'flubbing' it?

I also agree that McLaren should be putting some more serious team orders in place at this point if they genuinely are backing Norris to win the WDC - but he doesn't exactly help himself does he?

7 poles has resulted in 0 lap 1 leads, that's on Norris and not on McLaren.

It really does also highlight how poorly thought Norris' comments were about Max and Hamilton when he said both should have won as many races as they did when their cars were fastest. Lando's had the quickest car since Miami and has won just 2 races in the last 10, you don't get gifted a WDC (unless it's 2021 and Michael Masi rewrites the rulebook on the final lap).

I agree that Norris hasn't helped, especially his starts.

However he is still 44 points ahead of Piastri pretty much on merit, and therefore has a far, far greater chance of winning the WDC.

My thought process is not coming from what is necessarily "fair" etc. I'm thinking more along the lines of if I was managing McLaren and wanted to win the WDC.

To win a title, sometimes you must be ruthless with your drivers and get one to fall in line to help the other achieve the title.

If I was Zak, as soon as it was apparent that the McLaren was faster than the Red Bull and that Norris could beat Max, I would have immediately got Piastri to play rear guard and maximise Norris' chance of winning the title. Not out of favouritism, but due to the simple fact that Norris was well ahead of Piastri in the standings.

Last edited:
Great move from Ferrari after everyone else gave up with the 1 stop strat.

Where has Red Bulls pace gone?
Although RB and the FIA deny it I think rebull were using the brake thing that got banned. Because of that the can't setup the car for more straight line speed as they would be much slower in the corners as I believe they were using it to make up the lower downforce they would have had with a quicker less drag car. Perez being able to get closer to max lately is making me think this true even more as I don't think he would have liked how it handled as he has always preferred a stable car so he can drive smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom