Poll: Official 2024 Monaco Grand Prix Race Thread - Circuit de Monaco - Race 8/24

Rate the Monaco procession out of one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I think the mega soft compounds and mandatory amounts of pit stops should be introduced. Unless the cars get significantly smaller, there is pretty much nothing any of the drivers can do to overtake.

Having mega soft tyres and lots of pit stops at least introduces lots of potential for mishaps/good strategy battles.

Soldato
It's obviously about the tyres and has been that way for years. But I do think that despite the softest range being used at Monaco the track and the events at the start did bring out the worst in tyre management by most, if not all, of the drivers. It could just actually be a one off.

None the less the drivers themselves need to have respect in the manner in which they managed the tyres without them falling out of the very narrow temperature window they have. It really wasn't the case that the cars were just cruising around themselves and despite it not looking this way there was a huge amount of skill on the part of the drivers to drive around lap after lap for 78 laps keeping the tyres at their optimum, without hitting the barrier, too hard, and keeping to the same deltas.
Certainly it wasn't like a trip to the local shopping centre.

There Isn't really an argument for just making the cars smaller as the tussle between Senna and Mansell proved back in 1992 it is quite easy to defend even with a slower car.

If mandatory pit stops are introduced then there will be accusations that the finishing positions are fake because of it and not the result of a driver's abilities or overtakes on the track.

Monaco is what it is and because of the uniqueness of the circuit it always will be. I hope for the drivers sake's it remains.

Last edited:
Associate
Surely the solution for Monaco is to just remove the Nouvelle Chicane? That gives a clear run from Portier, through the tunnel, all the way down to Tabac. Add a bit of DRS if necessary and you've got the perfect overtaking spot.
Back in the day it wasn’t there.
But the circuit was a tad different…

YouTube late 70’s/early 80’s race it was just a small flick

Don
They need to do something because it is clear that the cars are just too big to overtake here. The fact it was the first race where the top 10 didn't change position from qualy to race result is alarming.

No they're not. Almost every race suffers from the oversized cars. Cutting the size of the cars should be one of the priorities when they update the rules.

I feel like this is one of those obvious but wrong answers on QI...

1716823025053.png

At least according to Wikipedia the cars are actually narrower now than during 1991/92

Caporegime
At least according to Wikipedia the cars are actually narrower now than during 1991/92

Width isn't the only factor that matters:

MHTOPGX.png

The cars have sometimes been wider, but those cars were also much shorter.

Soldato
Im assuming the Sky Sports caption/quote was trying to take the mick but that was on the grid walk so she was clearly talking about that (not the race itself)

She came across well until she was like “I don’t know, whichever race I next get invited to” /facepalm :rolleyes:
Lets face it - you would though, wouldn't you. Anywhere you get invited, you're going. I doubt Tom Cruise buys his own tickets. :p

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The cars are a perfectly appropriate width wheel edge to wheel edge. The problem is the length (London bus-esque) and weight (approximately that of a small planet), and the bodywork being so far inboard of the floor making it very easy to incur downforce-reducing damage in contact.

Shorten the cars up, they'll have to fatten the bodywork so that takes care of two of those. Then get about 100kg out of them, job's a good 'un.

Soldato
Unfortunately to make the cars smaller and lighter would require getting rid of most, if not all, of the technology, be it the hybrid or the aerodynamics, that is f1 today and makes the cars over 50% efficient. Plus the drivers safety cell and the halo adds to their weight as well.
Do we seriously wish F1 to be just a F2 car with slightly better aerodynamics and no longer the pinnacle of Motorsports?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That was without a doubt the most boring race I have ever watched and let's face it there have been plenty of boring races in F1 in recent years. Magnussen needs kicking out of F1 before he kills someone and there are other drivers that shouldn't be in it either because they just don't cut it, especially Sargeant, why is he still in that seat anyway? Perez is even worse than Bottas was when he was at Merc. Stroll is only there because daddy owns the team. Ocon has potential but needs to grow up and stop being a idiot. I can't see Alpine renewing his contract after the end of the season though.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Unfortunately to make the cars smaller and lighter would require getting rid of most, if not all, of the technology, be it the hybrid or the aerodynamics, that is f1 today and makes the cars over 50% efficient. Plus the drivers safety cell and the halo adds to their weight as well.
Do we seriously wish F1 to be just a F2 car with slightly better aerodynamics and no longer the pinnacle of Motorsports?

Bull :p

1991 Ferrari 642. Wheelbase 2.83m. 3.5 litre V12 engine, bulky early semi-auto gearbox, 215 litre fuel tank. Drivers feet were behind the front axle line as per regulations. 505kg dry.

Current cars. Wheelbase maximum 3.6m. 1.6 litre V6 engine with energy recovery gubbins, tiny modern semi-auto gearbox, 140 litre fuel tank. Drivers feet behind the front axle line as per regulations. 798kg dry with driver onboard.

I'm fine with them not getting down in weight to early '90s levels (well, I'm not, but I'll live with it :D), but I reckon 650-700kg ought to be achievable and a shorter wheelbase could come from widening the bodywork to match the width of the floor. As an added bonus that should make the slipstream more effective (wider bodywork punching a bigger hole in the air) and reduce the need for the DRS.

Soldato
Bull :p

1991 Ferrari 642. Wheelbase 2.83m. 3.5 litre V12 engine, bulky early semi-auto gearbox, 215 litre fuel tank. Drivers feet were behind the front axle line as per regulations. 505kg dry.

Current cars. Wheelbase maximum 3.6m. 1.6 litre V6 engine with energy recovery gubbins, tiny modern semi-auto gearbox, 140 litre fuel tank. Drivers feet behind the front axle line as per regulations. 798kg dry with driver onboard.

I'm fine with them not getting down in weight to early '90s levels (well, I'm not, but I'll live with it :D), but I reckon 650-700kg ought to be achievable and a shorter wheelbase could come from widening the bodywork to match the width of the floor. As an added bonus that should make the slipstream more effective (wider bodywork punching a bigger hole in the air) and reduce the need for the DRS.
I'm trying hard to see your point. You are agreeing then, that is a backwards step in technology with the 1991 Ferrari? I'll point out that n 1991 the F1 pole lap at Monaco was 1:20.344 by Senna. The pole lap set by a GP2 car this weekend was 1'21.283. Mansell couldn't overtake Senna's car at Monaco despite being much faster on fresher tyres as well.

Widening the bodywork on the car obviously would create more drag, shortening the wheelbase will mean less room for all the hybrid technology.
I'm sure these back of a fag packet solutions seem to be quite appealing but in reality your solution is a comple redesign costing each team millions. We have budget caps in F1 so that will never see the light of day or the inclination to do so.
Let's get real please..

Soldato
It's difficult to call what we saw yesterday "the pinnacle of Motorsport". If it was, then what does that say about Motorsport?
That is every drivers view, but yes, it could be said not the best advertisement for the pinnacle of Motorsport. But there was a coming together of several very influencing factors as to why this took place.

Last edited:
Soldato
I still believe they need to remove the hybrid stuff and allow refuelling again.

Removing the motors and battery will save a LOT of weight, complexity, cost, and size. Leave Formula E to advance that technology.
The refuelling will allow for smaller fuel tanks (again smaller and lighter cars), more pit stops, and strategies that will actually make a difference to a race.

And yes: The race was rubbish as usual

Last edited:
Soldato
On a side-note, I caught the end of the Indy 500 last night and, is it just me, or was it just as boring as the Monaco GP?

Everyone going on about what an amazing race it was - err, excuse me? Cars just endlessly drafting each other and swapping places for 500 miles, yeah riveting.

And the typical American "the greatest motor race in the world" crap at the end. Err no, that's Le Mans.

Soldato
It's difficult to call what we saw yesterday "the pinnacle of Motorsport". If it was, then what does that say about Motorsport?

F1 is far from the pinnacle of anything, especially racing. If offers the best of no worlds in reality, the technology is only useful in F1 for the most part, and the regulations and make up rules have ruined the sporting aspect for a while now. I prefer watching Formula-E for actual racing, and a technology lead approach that will directly impact the road cars of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom