**Official Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI NF650i Owners Thread**

Soldato
WDeranged said:
Buff: that might just do the trick mate, i'll try and get a floppy disk tomorrow but they're like rocking horse NO SWEARING these days.

Cheers

WD

That's odd - you can't move for floppy disks in the shops round here. Every tried to buy a labelflash disk? Or anything Iomega? And don't get me started on the tapes for Onstream tape streamers. £20 new when they came out, now an unopened pack of 3 tapes goes for £120 at auction. And even the used ones are £20 each. :mad:

Associate
WDeranged said:
Well here's a scary story for you, i updated to the 11 bios and found no differences apart from now the cpu fan alarm went off every time i rebooted.

I decided to flash it back down to 10 and wait till a confirmed fix comes out, near the end of the flash the bloody fan alarm goes off and the pc turns itself off...

The blood drains from my face and i feel suddenly ill, i turn it back on and get the fastest bleeps i've ever heard while the bios begs for a floppy drive.

I did make a futile attempt taking out the battery and flipping the cmos jumper but it didnt help.

I've screwed a fan to the northbridge and god knows where the plastic cpu socket cover is so im screwed as far as rma is concerned.

Buggered

My only hope is if i can get hold of a cmos chip from abit but why do i feel this wont be as easy as it should be :-\

send an email to [email protected]. I will sort you out a replacment chip.

Associate
Amazing, cheers mate, i tried three old floppy drives today and not one of them could spin up a disk :rolleyes:

I was just about out of steam, i'll send you an email now.

Thanks again

WD

Associate
Pop or no Pop?

Ok, have stumbled upon 3.6G (9x400) at last but only way is using 1.550v CPU set in bios.
Do you think i could run this high or is it likely to Pop something?

2z6s0mt.jpg

http://i5.tinypic.com/2z6s0mt.jpg

BTW this is using air - tuniq tower 120 and 4 12cm case fans.
Orthus has now past 1hr

Last edited:
Associate
29e57ch.jpg

over 7hrs now, heating is full on now and it hasn't made any drastic changes in temps.
Will try lowering voltages a bit more as i feel its too high to run 24-7.

@ VortX Hey, has a BIOS update been launched for this board?
i don't think its officially released but there is a few to try but i find M624B_11 (or the modded one best) M624B_12 is poor.

Associate
VortX said:
Thanks for reply :) I havn't yet brought this board but it is one I am considering, in your opinion is this a good board, stable?

Sorry but as this is my 1st C2D system i wouldn't dare recommend it to anyone, but i can say for my needs so far is fine. plus it has TWO IDE ports so i can hook up my 4 dvd burners.

Associate
If youre overclocking then its absolutely not a good stable board however at stock settings it does what it says on the tin.

When abit release a good bios the board will show its true colours but for now its a bit crippled.

Which reminds me, cheers to sean from abit, got the new cmos chip a few days ago and its working fine :)

WD

Soldato
From what I read in this thread, it sounds like the 680i has no problems with overclocking. Problem is I am used to buying a quality overclocking board for around £70 not £200. I have noticed that I can get some pc5300 for £80 odd and the core duos are due a price reduction soon which would make them less than a £100 too.

I dont see why if u have a good performing 680i that u cant use the same bios for 650i.

I had a dire DFI infinity board which needed coaxing to post and u didnt dare turn it off. Its why I bought an Epox nforce4, its been great just like the nforce2 was. Epox seems to have dropped out of the mainboard race AFAIK.

Im definately not going to upgrade into an unstable PC. I like to do a bit of overclocking and then leave it alone, not having to mess about to get it to start.

Soldato
megatron said:
I dont see why if u have a good performing 680i that u cant use the same bios for 650i.

Different southbridge I would suspect

The 680i's have issues too. The biggest issue with the 650i's is the holes in the strapping where the machine just won't post. You have to grope about in the dark until it boots again. Good, stable overclocks are possible, just not as easily as with a DS3P, P5B-E or even a QuadGT (with the right BIOS!)

Leave it 6 months and a lot of these issues will be resolved.

Associate
Nickg said:
which BFG board?

unless you NEED Sli, i would go for something like;

Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP iP965, S775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX

Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3P, iP965, S775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533/667/800, SATA II, ATX

BFG nForce 680 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

tis a tad pricey but i could just stretch

but as you ask i am never going to run sli so i take it its not worth it ?

Back
Top Bottom