• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

A friend has 4x Gigabyte 7990's. Anyway to lower the voltage without a BIOS flash. He says afterburner wont let him nor will sapphire trixx (does this only work on sapphire cards?).

Edit: He fixed it, seems he was running the 2.3.1? version of AB, updated to the beta and it fixed it :)

4 of them? wtf..:confused:

4 of them? wtf..:confused:

He ordered 2 @ £395, then saw the price drop, so ordered 2 more @ £375 intending to DSR the other 2 as OC wouldnt refund the difference. In the end he kept all 4 seeing what the price of LTC was doing. He runs 4 machines, 1 in each because the heat was too much (apparently 4 machines in a garage makes it hot :p) I shouldnt probably mention he is mining with them - can see why that doesn't make sense, forget I'm not in a mining thread as I spend so much time in the 2 on the forum :eek:

Puppet, do me a favour and ask him if any of the card cores return HW errors where he has had to back off the intensity but the other core is fine (on same card).

Sure will ask him tomorrow.

Yeah and it still stutters, can't get vsync to enable right either which is odd. Usually my last test would be to vsync with triple buffering and limit fps to 118 to prevent any input lag.

However fps seem to sit at 200-240 when enabled which is just odd

He also my might not be as fussy as me :) I can live with it in other games but not in cs.

Phunky as promised. Here's his reply. Had to cut out a few bits, he has a way with words. :p

QnVUZNc.jpg

Hold on now. You first said that it was stuttering with Xfire. Then you said it's perfect with Xfire disabled, but the FPS is lower than a 670??

XFire needs to be off in graphically weak games like CS, Fifa etc.

No way a 670 beats a 7970 in any game, especially CS:GO

Definitely an isolated problem with your card. I disable my other 2 cards and play it at 1440p with one 7970. I never saw the FPS drop below 120 once and it's very smooth all the time for me.

Definitely no need for ****** v-sync at 120hz anyway. If you can't enable v-sync, CrossFire is probably still enabled as on some games you can't turn on v-sync while using 2+ cards. Double check the profile you made for it in CCC.

Are you still using the stock BIOS? It was causing me lag/stuttering issues because of the useless "boost" clock feature.

Flash it with LtMatt's BIOS and see if that helps.

Definitely an isolated problem with your card. I disable my other 2 cards and play it at 1440p with one 7970. I never saw the FPS drop below 120 once and it's very smooth all the time for me.

With crossfire disabled there is no stuttering and FPS are alright 130~200+ depending on map, but thats on par with my previous card.

My comment about CSGO was that I was just disappointed with performance as was hoping for quite an improvement and really there isn't any.

Definitely no need for ****** v-sync at 120hz anyway. If you can't enable v-sync, CrossFire is probably still enabled as on some games you can't turn on v-sync while using 2+ cards. Double check the profile you made for it in CCC.

Sometimes I like to use v-sync but only with triple buffering, then will limit fps to 118 to remove any input lag usually found with v-sync. But one Crossfire it seems to try locking at 240fps? Wasn't expecting that...

Are you still using the stock BIOS? It was causing me lag/stuttering issues because of the useless "boost" clock feature.

Have been from day 1

Don't get me wrong the card is great, but its just a disappointment that my main game has to be run on a single GPU which leads to equal performance of my previous card.

Lol. Did you buy a 7990 for mainly CS:GO? Not a great move tbh (if you did).

If you check the cards utilisation it doesn't go past 60%. The CS engine isn't optimised for anything past 100/120 fps. You will get the same fps on a 5870 except the utilisation will be 90%+.

You can't buy such an undemanding game and expect over 150fps, the game just wasn't designed to do so. If you want to see higher utilisation get a higher res monitor or 3 screens.

Lol. Did you buy a 7990 for mainly CS:GO? Not a great move tbh (if you did).

No, but it is my main game so of course I do want performance to be on par with what I was upgrading from.

There was just a hope that I could crank AA up without seeing huge FPS drops with anything shader related (ie: Smokes) which is exactly what I got - just with micro stuttering.

You can't buy such an undemanding game and expect over 150fps, the game just wasn't designed to do so. If you want to see higher utilisation get a higher res monitor or 3 screens.

I'm running 1920x1440 on a 27" monitor and for the latest Source engine resolution has little effect on performance at all.

All I was saying was that I was disappointed with the lack of an improvement in my main game. I wasn't expecting anything drastic but did hope on seeing some slight improvement.

I still think there's something not right, flash Matt's BIOS to your card and try that one. It removes the "boost" feature which doesn't really work properly at all. I couldn't play BF4 or any other game until I did it.

I'm running 2560x1140@110Hz myself and I hate microstuttering so I know where you're coming from. I only played CS:GO after I flashed it and I assure you there is no fps drops at all now, including smoke and explosions etc.

Back
Top Bottom