• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Last edited:
Th0nt if you come across a solution please let me know!

I worked something out. Basically I took out the offending card and give it a good clean. I added another fan (it has option of sliding back the assembly and attaching a small 2-pin fan to its motherboard). I cleaned the motherboard PCI-e slot too as it had some dust in it.

It started to HW error now and then so dropped it's intensity down a notch. It is currently performing about 10% lower than the other card but no hardware errors so I am happy with that as at least it's mining for me.

The other option is to play with core/mem clocks to drop the temperatures. By adding my other fan it is now the same temperature as the other card in the case.

It has not fully found out the issue but for now it will do. Hope this is of help soundb0y. I think this card is non-reference whereas the other card was reference. Seems even though it is the 'same' card each one is individual to the CGminer settings and develops their own personality.

Last edited:
fixed my issue with my 7990

in bf4 it would go from 140fps down to 40fps very sharply.

tried a few things nothing fixed it. then today i was looking at new cases & a review made me realise i was using the stock PCI-E power cables direct from the psu. attached 2 new PCI-E cables to the PSU GPU points And whoa!

100fps easily 24/7:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I worked something out. Basically I took out the offending card and give it a good clean. I added another fan (it has option of sliding back the assembly and attaching a small 2-pin fan to its motherboard). I cleaned the motherboard PCI-e slot too as it had some dust in it.

It started to HW error now and then so dropped it's intensity down a notch. It is currently performing about 10% lower than the other card but no hardware errors so I am happy with that as at least it's mining for me.

The other option is to play with core/mem clocks to drop the temperatures. By adding my other fan it is now the same temperature as the other card in the case.

It has not fully found out the issue but for now it will do. Hope this is of help soundb0y. I think this card is non-reference whereas the other card was reference. Seems even though it is the 'same' card each one is individual to the CGminer settings and develops their own personality.

Thanks mate I have it on a few cards, always gpu 0 in cgminer with 2 cards. It is still under load so thinking it may be a tweaking or settings issue. Temps are good, im on I 13. As soon as I go higher I get HW error, lower hashrate drops significantly.

Im having a few other problems also. I think maybe a PCIe slot has stopped working, cards in it will power up and spin just wont give out a signal. Is there anyway to check this?

Also on another machine it wont give a video signal with 2 cards in, they will both power up and sound like the machine is running but no signal.

Each card works on its own and in both slots, just not together!

thanks for the info.

Last edited:
fixed my issue with my 7990

in bf4 it would go from 140fps down to 40fps very sharply.

tried a few things nothing fixed it. then today i was looking at new cases & a review made me realise i was using the stock PCI-E power cables direct from the psu. attached 2 new PCI-E cables to the PSU GPU points And whoa!

100fps easily 24/7:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Dirty Smogs!

Thanks mate I have it on a few cards, always gpu 0 in cgminer with 2 cards. It is still under load so thinking it may be a tweaking or settings issue. Temps are good, im on I 13. As soon as I go higher I get HW error, lower hashrate drops significantly.

Im having a few other problems also. I think maybe a PCIe slot has stopped working, cards in it will power up and spin just wont give out a signal. Is there anyway to check this?

Also on another machine it wont give a video signal with 2 cards in, they will both power up and sound like the machine is running but no signal.

Each card works on its own and in both slots, just not together!

thanks for the info.

Yeah I think after reading this we are onto something. It (spare rig) done an overnight windows update that I didnt schedule. It played up this morning not showing any display on the monitor so I plugged the lead into GPU 2 - which got it working.

GPU 1 was a pain since giving me that 1/4 hash rate and not liking I=13.

I don't think afterburner is setting voltage values properly for each card. In GPU-z it is showing higher than what I set it to. I have set it to synchronize for all of them but it doesn't seem to work.

Yeah I think after reading this we are onto something. It (spare rig) done an overnight windows update that I didnt schedule. It played up this morning not showing any display on the monitor so I plugged the lead into GPU 2 - which got it working.

GPU 1 was a pain since giving me that 1/4 hash rate and not liking I=13.

I think I have solved it. Have go to regedit, search, EnableULPS, Set to 0.

Also in afterburner have to enable unofficial overclocking mode. This seems to have given me a whole load more speed with most cores at 650 hash now.

Im still having trouble with a few cores running too hot though.

I'm not that happy with the performance of the 7990, don't get me wrong its great for some games.

BF4 is an absolute beast on this card 125fps constant @ 1440p on Ultra but other games are just not cutting it for me, seeing a lot of micro stutter in CSGO to the point where it feels worse than my old 670.

Thinking of shipping it off and going back green but know i'll miss BF4 playing so smooth, although not my main game so shouldn't worry really.

If i'd seen even the slightest improvement in CSGO i'd be sold, but with that being my main game in bums me to have to lower shader details just to remove the stuttering.

I'm not that happy with the performance of the 7990, don't get me wrong its great for some games.

BF4 is an absolute beast on this card 125fps constant @ 1440p on Ultra but other games are just not cutting it for me, seeing a lot of micro stutter in CSGO to the point where it feels worse than my old 670.

Thinking of shipping it off and going back green but know i'll miss BF4 playing so smooth, although not my main game so shouldn't worry really.

If i'd seen even the slightest improvement in CSGO i'd be sold, but with that being my main game in bums me to have to lower shader details just to remove the stuttering.

Pretty sure CSGO you might be seeing a cpu bottleneck old chap. Might be better off overclocking that cpu if you can. Or maybe try disabling xfire and just running it off one gpu. Its not a demanding title on the graphics front, is it?

None of the cores rarely run over 53% and the GPUs are sat at 43% each, the 2500k is clocked at 4.6 which was more than enough for the 670 to handle CSGO smoothly at 200fps+

The 7990 still hits 200fps but it feels worse and its enough to annoy the hell out of me, I kinda don't want to let go of this card as it has the power in it just as always with 2 GPU setups it needs developer support to really get the best out of it.

None of the cores rarely run over 53% and the GPUs are sat at 43% each, the 2500k is clocked at 4.6 which was more than enough for the 670 to handle CSGO smoothly at 200fps+

The 7990 still hits 200fps but it feels worse and its enough to annoy the hell out of me, I kinda don't want to let go of this card as it has the power in it just as always with 2 GPU setups it needs developer support to really get the best out of it.

Well my friend plays it on a 7990 and he has not mentioned anything. I've dropped him a message and linked him to the thread and will see what he says.

However you could cure your problems in a few mouse clicks if you want. Setup a profile for the game in question, and tick disable crossfire. One 7990 core with crossfire disabled will still trump one 670.

See my example below for how to disable crossfire for a specific title.

b9gm0mH.jpg

Already tried that and performance is worse compared to the 670. I'm a sucker when it comes to CS its been my main game for over 10yrs and most setups are geared to making that run as smoothly as possible.

Turning off frame pacing helps a fair bit, but just annoying to not see an improvement.

I'm being picky, its not like I'm not getting good fps it just feels off.

Back
Top Bottom