• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

That isn't necessarily an issue with the 7990 (apart from the coil whine).

the power supply is a cooler master 850w

that's the problem I have at the moment.......I cant pin point it directly at the gpu......even though I did have some graphical issue on fifa...which I posted up earlier

another thing is I can leave heaven running for a while and it runs without any problems.......no artifacting or crashing both gpus @ 100% temps around 80c

Last edited:
it has coil whine and makes a clicking noise when under load, also its getting worse, when i first got it, it was hardly noticable, so i mite have to RMA it, not sure what ill happen tho as they are EOL.

i will want at least the same or better performance if another 7990 is not available.

ive been wandering the same........I paid £500 from ocuk and have really loud coil whine, random bsods, weird happenings, driver stopped responding, bf4 crashing every 5 minutes.....didn't do this with my older card.......im even getting bsod at windows start up......even with a clean install of windows......im getting atikmpag.sys bsod and bad_pool_header bsod at startup ive run memtest and this gives no errors.......

wouldn't mind a swap for a gtx 780 but don't want a ati card.......

That isn't necessarily an issue with the 7990 (apart from the coil whine).

You can cure coil whine if you use seperate feeds from the PSU as LtMatt discovered. So 1 draw from PCI-E/GPU-1/2 and the other from PCI-E/GPU-3/4 off the PSU.

If you have used ATIman uninstaller or ATIuninstall utility with W8 then these will ruin your W8/8.1 installation and cause all sorts of problems. To test if if your W8 install is ruined - can you turn off your firewall or is it greyed out? If you can do many administrator items then your uninstaller may have ruined your W8 install. BEst W8/.1 uninstaller is DIsplay Driver Uninstaller (DDU) which you have to run in safe mode.
It is obvious but when changing cards uninstall old driver and install latest driver, even if you are running latest driver -using DDU.

I think I am lucky - No coil whine I can hear ever - Runs fast and smooth ! Great card although if a dual R290X2 or a 780x2 on one card came out I would then upgrade for the sheer power.

Although I will concede the ATI drivers are a lot more fiddly to install compared to Nvidia. Nvidia updated and just worked. The Ati Drivers sometimes I need to install it twice as the screen goes blank and never comes back on.

Now that I've got it under water, is there any guidelines to overclocking it? Its stable at 1200/1650 at 1.3v but increasing the memory further causes serious instability but I've seen people running it at almost 1800? Can the voltage be unlocked pas 1.3v or is that the absolute limit. This is purely for fun by the way, the extra performance isn't needed yet I just wanna see what it can get!

Strange, haven't changed anything much apart from putting voltage up to 1.150v (for FC3 to be stable) and have improved side cooling (temps have dropped nicely). Yet all of my benchies have gone down - Heaven valley on extreme has gone down from 3500 to 3200 for example. Could just be random fluctuation though I guess. No real world effect, so I should probably just move on :p

Strange, haven't changed anything much apart from putting voltage up to 1.150v (for FC3 to be stable) and have improved side cooling (temps have dropped nicely). Yet all of my benchies have gone down - Heaven valley on extreme has gone down from 3500 to 3200 for example. Could just be random fluctuation though I guess. No real world effect, so I should probably just move on :p

My benchmark score have always seemed strangely poor with the 7990 :(

I think I'm going to try to sell my XFX 7990 as my mrs has just had twins and I haven't got the time to tinker anymore and I'm finding it easier just to play on my PS4 with the little time I have. (Sacrilege I know!)

What price do you reckon its worth on MM?

whats the best way to level out the temps on this card?
When im mining Card 1 is always 10 degrees hotter than card 2..is that due to the slight tilt that i have on the card?

Also whats the lowest you can really safely undervolt.. Im at 1100 with the above speeds...but really want to try and get the temps down even more for mining.

Its been stable at that though. Since mining uses 100% gpu usage and i haven't had 1 crash or lockup yet. I guess aslong as im lowering the clocks aswell it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom