• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

+1. Not really worth the upgrade to 290 crossfire from a 7990 unless it costs you £100 or less.

What actually pushed you into the change? I know financially it was of zero cost to yourself but I do wonder why a big 7990 lover like yourself decided to crossfire the 290's?

Is there a big performance improvement or just a small one etc? :)

What actually pushed you into the change? I know financially it was of zero cost to yourself but I do wonder why a big 7990 lover like yourself decided to crossfire the 290's?

Is there a big performance improvement or just a small one etc? :)

Just the chance to keep up to date with the latest tech really. Other factors which swayed my decision were Mantle, which will favour Hawaii cards the most. TruAudio, already ordered Thief when i got my 7990 game codes so ill be able to try TruAudio when it comes around in february. I was keen to try UMDA hardware+software frame pacing and it appears to be smoother than Tahiti based software frame pacing. No crossfire bridge, gives better performance scaling supposedly, though obviously we didn't have this issue with the 7990. The only downsides is my 7990 was slightly cooler and certainly much quieter. The 7990 looked much nicer as well and was smaller than a single 290. However i hold very little importance to what a graphics card looks like. Its all about grunt and bang for buck and now i have titan sli performance at £560.

Last edited:
got a 144hz monitor today the benqxl2411t...

anyone have any idea why it bluescreens when its set to 144hz on games like bioshock infinite and assasins creed ?
It works on 60 hz and 120hz but if i set it to 144hz it just bluescreens and the pc restarts and it says something about ATI in the bluescreen.

144hz works fine on counter strike source though.

got a 144hz monitor today the benqxl2411t...

anyone have any idea why it bluescreens when its set to 144hz on games like bioshock infinite and assasins creed ?
It works on 60 hz and 120hz but if i set it to 144hz it just bluescreens and the pc restarts and it says something about ATI in the bluescreen.

144hz works fine on counter strike source though.

That's the monitor I was looking to buy. Pretty naff if it doesn't work with a 7990 :o

reading around it seems to be a 7900 series crossfire issue. People have fixed it by using 2 bridges but i guess us 7990 users can't do that lol.

Just the chance to keep up to date with the latest tech really. Other factors which swayed my decision were Mantle, which will favour Hawaii cards the most. TruAudio, already ordered Thief when i got my 7990 game codes so ill be able to try TruAudio when it comes around in february. I was keen to try UMDA hardware+software frame pacing and it appears to be smoother than Tahiti based software frame pacing. No crossfire bridge, gives better performance scaling supposedly, though obviously we didn't have this issue with the 7990. The only downsides is my 7990 was slightly cooler and certainly much quieter. The 7990 looked much nicer as well and was smaller than a single 290. However i hold very little importance to what a graphics card looks like. Its all about grunt and bang for buck and now i have titan sli performance at £560.

All very good reasons!

As I am not that much indepth with graphics cards, sure I like to have the best but as long as I can max out games for the foreseeable future I am fairly happy :)

reading around it seems to be a 7900 series crossfire issue. People have fixed it by using 2 bridges but i guess us 7990 users can't do that lol.

Have the same issue, except it blackscreens + restarts. Not too bothered as 120Hz is good enough, but if you figure out something do let me know :).

Tied mine to the top of my case using cable ties to stop the flex and managed to drop one core's temps by around 6C :eek:
Might be selling the card soon, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom