• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

I had a chance to finally work on my computer. I put a brand new power supply in and the minimizing stopped. I get the odd crash in BF4 but nothing like before. I have another question though. Watching my 7990 in afterburner, how come the 7990 runs one core at 950 and the other at 1000? Even if I overclock it stays at 950. And on other question in the amd overdrive the newer drivers 14.12 only have one tab to over clock the cores ( older drivers had separate tabs for the cores and could overclock them individually. Is there a recommended set of drivers I should use? I game a lot with BF4

It also seems the new drivers 14.12 Omega make my cards stutter in crossfire or at least it seems that way. I have the 7990 trifired with 7970

BF4 is my main game too and I'm still running a 7990.

I went back to the last WHQL drivers. Not the 14.12 Omega set. I can't get BF4 to run in mantle anymore. I've tried the fix but it just crashes on launch. So these drivers give mne v smooth performance in DX11. BEen solid for months with no crashes.

Once you go over 3 cards the smoothness seems to depreciate and along with your eyefinity. Neither of which I have experience. To test drivers I'd go to the 7990 on it's own and one monitor and find a driver for smoothness.

If you are using mantle there are 2 levels of Mantle framepacing you can try in the BF4 console (other than off). You need to find out what is causing the stutter. This can be CPU or GPU. if you get the graph up (perfoverlay.drawgraph 1) I think when playing and note whether the stutter is in time with the yellow or green line. Yellow being CPU. With 3 GPU's ypu maybe CPU bottlenecked.

If it is the greenline you may want to try changing teh framepacing method in mantle with either of these commands

RenderDevice.FramePacingMethod 2
RenderDevice.FramePacingMethod 1

Default is 1 I think. ) is off.

As for one core at 950 and the other at 1000mhz. If you use Afterburner or GPU-Z to monitor does the 950 core EVER get to 1000mhz and fluctuate to 950? And does the 1000Mhz core fluctuate to 950?

One core will always run hotter on the 7990 and the addition of the 7970 may cause more heating of this card to stay at 950.

Also if youhave done the Non throttle BIOS mod to the 7990 and failed on the flash of one core one core will still throttle back.

Glad you sorted the minimizing issue. had my money on norton though. For the crashes you may want to look at the event viwer/manager and look in the critical list and google the error if there are GPU related ones in there.

For me I'd go back to running the 7990 on it's own first and get BF4 smooth with one monitor. Then add in the other 2 monitors and finally add in the 7970 again .

BF4 is my main game too and I'm still running a 7990.

I went back to the last WHQL drivers. Not the 14.12 Omega set. I can't get BF4 to run in mantle anymore. I've tried the fix but it just crashes on launch. So these drivers give mne v smooth performance in DX11. BEen solid for months with no crashes.

Once you go over 3 cards the smoothness seems to depreciate and along with your eyefinity. Neither of which I have experience. To test drivers I'd go to the 7990 on it's own and one monitor and find a driver for smoothness.

If you are using mantle there are 2 levels of Mantle framepacing you can try in the BF4 console (other than off). You need to find out what is causing the stutter. This can be CPU or GPU. if you get the graph up (perfoverlay.drawgraph 1) I think when playing and note whether the stutter is in time with the yellow or green line. Yellow being CPU. With 3 GPU's ypu maybe CPU bottlenecked.

If it is the greenline you may want to try changing teh framepacing method in mantle with either of these commands

RenderDevice.FramePacingMethod 2
RenderDevice.FramePacingMethod 1

Default is 1 I think. ) is off.

As for one core at 950 and the other at 1000mhz. If you use Afterburner or GPU-Z to monitor does the 950 core EVER get to 1000mhz and fluctuate to 950? And does the 1000Mhz core fluctuate to 950?

One core will always run hotter on the 7990 and the addition of the 7970 may cause more heating of this card to stay at 950.

Also if youhave done the Non throttle BIOS mod to the 7990 and failed on the flash of one core one core will still throttle back.

Glad you sorted the minimizing issue. had my money on norton though. For the crashes you may want to look at the event viwer/manager and look in the critical list and google the error if there are GPU related ones in there.

For me I'd go back to running the 7990 on it's own first and get BF4 smooth with one monitor. Then add in the other 2 monitors and finally add in the 7970 again .

Sorry what set of drivers were you using? 14.9? Not sure what the WHQL driver was.

I have found for me the best options are install drivers, stop catalyst control centre from running at boot, install afterburner and disable ulps, set the power to +20 and the volts to 1135v. This is stable and no loss of performance and no thermal throttling.

Samsung Magician can make games minimizes back to the desktop, i found that i had to close Samsung Magician and re start it a couple of times then it would not have that effect on games in future, also when upgrading Samsung Magician it would do the same again requiring the same procedure.

Getting really irritated with my 7990 at the moment. GPU1 keeps changing its usual 300/1000Mhz clock to 501/950Mhz for no reason. If I reinstall MSI Afterburner it fixes the problem for a few minutes, then it reverts back regardless of the settings in MSI. I really get tired of crossfire setups sometimes.

Sorry for all the questions does everybody still disable ULPS?

I still do, I get all kinds of weirdness if I don't.

I had a chance to finally work on my computer. I put a brand new power supply in and the minimizing stopped. I get the odd crash in BF4 but nothing like before. I have another question though. Watching my 7990 in afterburner, how come the 7990 runs one core at 950 and the other at 1000? Even if I overclock it stays at 950. And on other question in the amd overdrive the newer drivers 14.12 only have one tab to over clock the cores ( older drivers had separate tabs for the cores and could overclock them individually. Is there a recommended set of drivers I should use? I game a lot with BF4

Seems I am not the only one then. Maybe a driver issue? It never used to do this to me before, but then I haven't played games for about 7-8 months.

I wonder if the newer drivers are clashing somehow with the custom bios?

Last edited:
Getting really irritated with my 7990 at the moment. GPU1 keeps changing its usual 300/1000Mhz clock to 501/950Mhz for no reason. If I reinstall MSI Afterburner it fixes the problem for a few minutes, then it reverts back regardless of the settings in MSI. I really get tired of crossfire setups sometimes.

Seems I am not the only one then. Maybe a driver issue? It never used to do this to me before, but then I haven't played games for about 7-8 months.

I wonder if the newer drivers are clashing somehow with the custom bios?

Sounds like the problem is MSI Afterburner.

What settings are you using?

I'm running OEMGA and they're crap with BF4... very poor frame rates... disabled one of my 7990's and it's still crap... not happy with these drivers at all :-(

Are you running in full screen mode?

Can you give me a bit more information, hard to diagnose the problem going on what you've said.

Take a look at this thread and show me some overlay information of the game running poorly, this would help.

Last edited:
Sounds like the problem is MSI Afterburner.

What settings are you using?

I think this shows the majority of the settings - basically going off the settings that you showed me a while ago. Have tried reinstalling the drivers (after a clean driver reinstall) and MSI - worked long enough for me to bench once with Valley.

cm3xgJIh.png.jpg

As you can see, core 1 has idled to 501Mhz (it should be 300). Core 2 is working as it should be with voltages and clock speeds.

Uninstalled afterburner, tried Valley, same problem. Perhaps I need to reinstall the drivers again? Are there alternatives to afterburner?

One screen, nothing fancy :)

Although i don't own a 7990 i will say that i had no end to problems with MSI Afterburner with my 280X's. The problems you're getting sound similar to the problems i had, clocks kept messing up and it had issues setting the voltage. Sapphire Trixx works loads better, never had an issue with it.

So I am stuck. Removed afterburner, used DDU in safemode to remove drivers. Reinstall drivers, same problem.

I then tried Trixx. Latest version doesn't let me into settings, so tried 4.6. Disabled ULPS, restarted and then it can't seem to find the core or memory clock speeds. What is going on :(

The only thing that actually seems to fix it is installing afterburner, but as soon as the 7990 engages the 3D clocks it all seems to go wrong again. Driver bug maybe?

Edit: tried it with the 14.7s, same issue. I give up for now.

Last edited:
Well, problem solved!

Chrome open/minimised - clocks on core 1 stick at 501Mhz. Open a game and they only go upto 950Mhz.

Chrome closed - core 1 and core 2 function normally at either 300Mhz or 1000Mhz.

Very strange. Almost couldn't believe it when I noticed.

Well, problem solved!

Chrome open/minimised - clocks on core 1 stick at 501Mhz. Open a game and they only go upto 950Mhz.

Chrome closed - core 1 and core 2 function normally at either 300Mhz or 1000Mhz.

Very strange. Almost couldn't believe it when I noticed.

I'm not surprised that something else other than 'drivers' was causing this. :)

Back
Top Bottom