• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Its definatly not working with the xfx, Even bumping the core up a little results in a lock up now... moving the voltage back to 1200 does nothing.
Before it was fine on 1100 core with stock 1200 voltage.

Matt i have an update for you.. its not the moving of the core that is causing the lockups...
I took the core to 1020 and it works fine at the stock 1150 voltage but the second i move the voltage up to anything apart from 1150 it locks up.
i took it to 1160 and it locked up straight away in 3d mark..took it back down to 1150 and it works fine.

So is it just not working for XFX?
Testing it again moving voltage upwards and overclocked. It's fine and working for me. Voltage moves up according to GPU-Z and Kombuster. Could be imagining things but i feel bf4 is smoother. probably same issue with the boost causing gpu usage go up and down

I'd buy a 7990 from elsewhere tbh. Those deals put ocuk to shame. Plus my 7990 came in a damaged box that appeared to have been opened and it came with no game codes. Two thumbs down tbh.

Yeah that doesn't sound good at all mate. Might just do what you suggested rather than wait for something that might not happen (price drop again) and risk missing the game codes too.

Well I am not sure that particular deal will be fulfilled tbh. I am getting the gfx card monday/tuesday and I must say that I was surprised it was so cheap. Basically advert had a picture clearly stating that the msi 7990 was available with the msi gaming motherboard worth £110 and was free (have saved a few screenshots). Was not on their site but another site ;). In the product description it failed to mention the free motherboard and only the 7990 though, Which I failed to pick up on.

I have a feeling only the gfx card will show, Then in which case I shall promptly call them and tell them I am gonna return it (out of principal). It is still a great price at £399 and can't be beaten but I don't really need it at the moment anyway, As I am only running at 1080p and the gtx 680 copes really well still at that res. I do want to jump on the 1440p bandwagon at some point but it is not really an immediate need.

I too found the same deal and it will be here Monday but if no motherboard then they can come collect it back hopefully they furfill the order if so then its a bargain of the century

So is it just not working for XFX?
Testing it again moving voltage upwards and overclocked. It's fine and working for me. Voltage moves up according to GPU-Z and Kombuster. Could be imagining things but i feel bf4 is smoother. probably same issue with the boost causing gpu usage go up and down

Dude upload your master and slave bios using gpu-z and sendspace. Make sure you take the bios from switch 2 for both please. I will try and edit your bios and see if it works on our cards. It could be that XFX have some sort of bios lock in place, who knows.

As for now ive come up with a solution. I have not touched the clock states or stock clocks or voltages, as that seems to lock the XFX card. What i have done is increase the TDP to 240W with 20% power tune. Throttling and gpu usage drops will be a thing of the past now. I've also bumped up the core clock to 1250 and the memory to 1750. Testers needed.

Bios Download Link
http://www.sendspace.com/file/a9vg54

Make sure your card is on bios switch 1. Do not flash to bios switch 2, thats the backup fail safe bios!! IMPORTANT!!

I have included a bios for the master card (Malta1.rom) and the slave card (Malta2.rom) in the download link. Its important you flash the correct one. Read the flashing instructions carefully and it will go smoothly.

Bios Flashing Instructions

You might want to write this down... :p

You need to create a bootable usb stick.

1. Download and install the USB disk format tool here.

2. Download the Windows98 system files here.

3. Create a folder called Win98boot on your desktop, extract the files from step 2 into the folder.

4. Plug in your usb stick. Launch the USB disk format tool. Copy these settings, then click format. You need to select quick format, tick dos startup and select the Win98 folder, like ive done below.

TsVVMvN.jpg

5. Click start, then ok and it should do it.

6. Download atiflash. Extract it onto the usb stick.

7. Download my 7990 bios. Extract it and cut and paste it into the usb stick.

8. If you've done everything correctly your usb stick folder contents should look like this. (except the bios should say Malta1.rom and Malta2.rom instead of HIS7950.rom) Do not worry if you have more or less files than what appears in the screenshot. As long as you have the bios file and atiflash thats all that matters. Windows 8 users might have extra files like in my screenshot.

nD7zzVf.jpg

9. Make sure the 7990 in your pc is switched onto bios 1.

s2JqQ2Q.jpg

10. Uninstall gpu drivers and any overclocking apps. Do not keep settings delete everything.

11. Restart your pc. Before you hear the beep keep tapping F8. Boot from the usb stick.

12. You should be at dos prompt. Type atiflash -i to get the adapter number for both your gpu's. Typically it will be 0 and 1, unless you have a gpu in a third pci-e slot. You need the adapter number to tell it which gpu to flash.

13. To flash gpu 1 (master 7990) type atiflash -p -f 0 Malta1.rom and hit enter.

Wait for it to finish. It will prompt you to restart but before we do that we need to flash the second gpu as well.

Now do the second gpu (slave 7990)

Type atiflash -p -f 1 Malta2.rom

Once that has completed and you get a notification saying you can restart press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart your pc.

All going well you should get a display and boot back into windows. Now you can reinstall fresh new drivers etc. Boost voltage and boost clock is disabled, your card thinks its a non boost card from now on in and you have the option to select 50% power setting as standard with every driver install.

If something goes wrong and you get no display from the cards after flashing the bios. Turn the pc off and flick both cards bios switch to position 2 to use the stock backup bios. Turn the pc back on and all will be ok.

Good luck. :cool:

Matt would be intrigued to see If you could edit an Asus bios to get memory voltage.

Just downloaded gpu tweak as I remember you saying you could adjust mem volts but my XFX card doesn't have that slider so i assume it's something in the bios.

Your new power settings on an Asus bios may do the trick regarding the clock state/voltage issue considering all cards are the same, so it must be something in the stock XFX bios causing it.

Last edited:
Dude upload your master and slave bios using gpu-z and sendspace. Make sure you take the bios from switch 2 for both please. I will try and edit your bios and see if it works on our cards. It could be that XFX have some sort of bios lock in place, who knows.

As for now ive come up with a solution. I have not touched the clock states or stock clocks or voltages, as that seems to lock the XFX card. What i have done is increase the TDP to 240W with 20% power tune. Throttling and gpu usage drops will be a thing of the past now. I've also bumped up the core clock to 1250 and the memory to 1750. Testers needed.

Bios Download Link
http://www.sendspace.com/file/a9vg54

Make sure your card is on bios switch 1. Do not flash to bios switch 2, thats the backup fail safe bios!! IMPORTANT!!

I have included a bios for the master card (Malta1.rom) and the slave card (Malta2.rom) in the download link. Its important you flash the correct one. Read the flashing instructions carefully and it will go smoothly.

Bios Flashing Instructions

You might want to write this down... :p

You need to create a bootable usb stick.

1. Download and install the USB disk format tool here.

2. Download the Windows98 system files here.

3. Create a folder called Win98boot on your desktop, extract the files from step 2 into the folder.

4. Plug in your usb stick. Launch the USB disk format tool. Copy these settings, then click format. You need to select quick format, tick dos startup and select the Win98 folder, like ive done below.

TsVVMvN.jpg

5. Click start, then ok and it should do it.

6. Download atiflash. Extract it onto the usb stick.

7. Download my 7990 bios. Extract it and cut and paste it into the usb stick.

8. If you've done everything correctly your usb stick folder contents should look like this. (except the bios should say Malta1.rom and Malta2.rom instead of HIS7950.rom) Do not worry if you have more or less files than what appears in the screenshot. As long as you have the bios file and atiflash thats all that matters. Windows 8 users might have extra files like in my screenshot.

nD7zzVf.jpg

9. Make sure the 7990 in your pc is switched onto bios 1.

s2JqQ2Q.jpg

10. Uninstall gpu drivers and any overclocking apps. Do not keep settings delete everything.

11. Restart your pc. Before you hear the beep keep tapping F8. Boot from the usb stick.

12. You should be at dos prompt. Type atiflash -i to get the adapter number for both your gpu's. Typically it will be 0 and 1, unless you have a gpu in a third pci-e slot. You need the adapter number to tell it which gpu to flash.

13. To flash gpu 1 (master 7990) type atiflash -p -f 0 Malta1.rom and hit enter.

Wait for it to finish. It will prompt you to restart but before we do that we need to flash the second gpu as well.

Now do the second gpu (slave 7990)

Type atiflash -p -f 1 Malta2.rom

Once that has completed and you get a notification saying you can restart press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart your pc.

All going well you should get a display and boot back into windows. Now you can reinstall fresh new drivers etc. Boost voltage and boost clock is disabled, your card thinks its a non boost card from now on in and you have the option to select 50% power setting as standard with every driver install.

If something goes wrong and you get no display from the cards after flashing the bios. Turn the pc off and flick both cards bios switch to position 2 to use the stock backup bios. Turn the pc back on and all will be ok.

Good luck. :cool:

Thanks for your efforts Matt. I have the XFX card too and at stock the voltage is 1.2V. That allows me to reach the max overdrive clocks of 1100Mhz core and 1575 MHz Mem. With your new bios, is the voltage still 1.2V? Do you think that is enough to keep 1250MHz core stable?

Matt would be intrigued to see If you could edit an Asus bios to get memory voltage.

Just downloaded gpu tweak as I remember you saying you could adjust mem volts but my XFX card doesn't have that slider so i assume it's something in the bios.

Your new power settings on an Asus bios may do the trick regarding the clock state/voltage issue considering all cards are the same, so it must be something in the stock XFX bios causing it.

Sure give me your master and slave bios and ill try it. :)

Thanks for your efforts Matt. I have the XFX card too and at stock the voltage is 1.2V. That allows me to reach the max overdrive clocks of 1100Mhz core and 1575 MHz Mem. With your new bios, is the voltage still 1.2V? Do you think that is enough to keep 1250MHz core stable?

Stock clocks and voltage are unchanged. CCC-Afterburner limits have been extended and hard coded into the bios.

I have an XFX card too remember?! :p I was hoping you had kept a backup rom from your old card. Hopefully one of the guys with an Asus Card can provide us with their bios!

Oh yeah lol. No mate i didn't take a backup. I didn't even try tri fire, but i was having problems so didn't really think about much else.

Guys I'm finding that the Beta 9.2 drivers make any game with V Sync enabled stuttery as hell but the beta 8's are fine, can anyone confirm this is normal behaviour?

I tried my very best to put it off, but I gave in and went for an MSI 7990 about 3am this morning while I was drunk and at my weakest...

Looking forward to some overclocking and that custom bios Matt :)

Oh yeah lol. No mate i didn't take a backup. I didn't even try tri fire, but i was having problems so didn't really think about much else.

Oh well I know there are a few guys here with Asus cards so hopefully one of them will pop into the thread to provide a bios soon!

I tried my very best to put it off, but I gave in and went for an MSI 7990 about 3am this morning while I was drunk and at my weakest...

Looking forward to some overclocking and that custom bios Matt :)

Good man. I've posted a load of benchmarks in the firestrike,heaven,valley,sleeping dogs, Battlefield 4 threads. Will add more in due course.

Back
Top Bottom