• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Well took the plunge and just ordered myself the msi 7990 with free msi gaming mobo all for £399. I am hoping that they might give me some free games too and if they do I am hoping to have had a total spend of just over £100, Once I sell my 2 month old Gtx 680 (pe), The mobo and hopefully the games will fetch a bit too assuming I get them as well. So might recoup a little bit more than expected.....I call that a bargain :)

I think I will need a new psu though, Cause at the mo I am running a corsair 650 tx with 52 amps on the 12v and the cpu is the trusty 2500k @ 4.3ghz.....Just how borderline is that btw?

Dam what a fantastic offer that was, expired now by the looks of it? I would have got that for definite :(

I did the flash Matt. Testing. I think u fixed 7990! I do noticed before in some games it will flicker between 99and ~64%.

Update1. Heaven4 has no dips at all now. I've set it down to 1.1v which is what I was stable at before.OK so far

Last edited:
Hmmmm, My previous overclock of 1100/1630 doesnt work now... Even with the voltage taken up past the previous default of 1200 to 1220
Just locks up in 3dmark on the first test each time.

Hmmmm, My previous overclock of 1100/1630 doesnt work now... Even with the voltage taken up past the previous default of 1200 to 1220
Just locks up in 3dmark on the first test each time.

Good spot!

Ok guys ive noticed a problem, this bios seems to remove voltage control. Just tested it myself. I will go back to Kaboom and tell him the score. The bios does remove the throttling problem completely but obviously we need voltage control. Will be back with another update.

We will get this working properly, don't worry!

Last edited:
Ahh so i guess its because even though i upped the voltage to 1220 its not actually going up to that? Its still on 1150?

I just tryed it with the mem at 1630 and the core at default 1000 and it worked fine.

Last edited:
Ahh so i guess its because even though i upped the voltage to 1220 its not actually going up to that? Its still on 1150?

I just tryed it with the mem at 1630 and the core at default 1000 and it worked fine.

Yep the changes we made have stopped voltage control working. Damn, thats a bummer. Will spend some time trying to find a solution.

Got to say this card is a beast in general, i understand what people mean about it being loud but u cant hear it if u got headsets on, been playing batman orgins, game runs smooth, not spikes or anything my highest temp for the card was about 50 and yes like i said before it is loud if u take of ur headset but with it on its fine really. Great card!

Right ive managed to get voltage control working with the increased TDP limit so we will be able to stop the throttling. However as soon as i alter the clock states/stock voltage, genera; voltage control stops working. Needs more testing.

I'll be joining the club soon chaps. It's sat on my desk with a full cover water block on waiting for some parts :)

Going to see how it runs with a reservator 1 V2 and a double thick 120mm rad from an old kuhler 920.

Well took the plunge and just ordered myself the msi 7990 with free msi gaming mobo all for £399. I am hoping that they might give me some free games too and if they do I am hoping to have had a total spend of just over £100, Once I sell my 2 month old Gtx 680 (pe), The mobo and hopefully the games will fetch a bit too assuming I get them as well. So might recoup a little bit more than expected.....I call that a bargain :)

I think I will need a new psu though, Cause at the mo I am running a corsair 650 tx with 52 amps on the 12v and the cpu is the trusty 2500k @ 4.3ghz.....Just how borderline is that btw?

Sounds like a steal! Obviously not the same price here which is a shame. Ze Germans (OCUK) mustn't be price matching right now. Once they do go back to competitive levels i'll no doubt buy from here due to the service.

Sounds like a steal! Obviously not the same price here which is a shame. Ze Germans (OCUK) mustn't be price matching right now. Once they do go back to competitive levels i'll no doubt buy from here due to the service.

I'd buy a 7990 from elsewhere tbh. Those deals put ocuk to shame. Plus my 7990 came in a damaged box that appeared to have been opened and it came with no game codes. Two thumbs down tbh.

When was the deal for 399 plus msi mobo with that?I can't see it now?

Well I am not sure that particular deal will be fulfilled tbh. I am getting the gfx card monday/tuesday and I must say that I was surprised it was so cheap. Basically advert had a picture clearly stating that the msi 7990 was available with the msi gaming motherboard worth £110 and was free (have saved a few screenshots). Was not on their site but another site ;). In the product description it failed to mention the free motherboard and only the 7990 though, Which I failed to pick up on.

I have a feeling only the gfx card will show, Then in which case I shall promptly call them and tell them I am gonna return it (out of principal). It is still a great price at £399 and can't be beaten but I don't really need it at the moment anyway, As I am only running at 1080p and the gtx 680 copes really well still at that res. I do want to jump on the 1440p bandwagon at some point but it is not really an immediate need.

Back
Top Bottom