• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Custom 7990 bios Testers needed**

1250/1700 max clocks available
250W max TDP (default is 179W with +20%)
Only need to use power limit for extreme overclocks now
Mild to light overclocks should work with 0% power limit
Boost part of the bios removed. Stock clock is 1000/1500 @1.15v
Card will no longer drop gpu usage and switch between clock states
50% power tune at standard
Fan profile remains unchanged

I need people to make sure the voltage is high enough. I'm running my card at 1.125v at 1000/1500 with no problems but not everyones will work on such low voltage.

Bios Download Link
http://www.sendspace.com/file/bd5292

Make sure your card is on bios switch 1. Do not flash to bios switch 2, thats the backup fail safe bios!! IMPORTANT!!

I have included a bios for the master card (Malta1.rom) and the slave card (Malta2.rom) in the download link. Its important you flash the correct one. Read the flashing instructions carefully and it will go smoothly.

Bios Flashing Instructions

You might want to write this down... :p

You need to create a bootable usb stick.

1. Download and install the USB disk format tool here.

2. Download the Windows98 system files here.

3. Create a folder called Win98boot on your desktop, extract the files from step 2 into the folder.

4. Plug in your usb stick. Launch the USB disk format tool. Copy these settings, then click format. You need to select quick format, tick dos startup and select the Win98 folder, like ive done below.

TsVVMvN.jpg

5. Click start, then ok and it should do it.

6. Download atiflash. Extract it onto the usb stick.

7. Download my 7990 bios. Extract it and cut and paste it into the usb stick.

8. If you've done everything correctly your usb stick folder contents should look like this. (except the bios should say Malta1.rom and Malta2.rom instead of HIS7950.rom) Do not worry if you have more or less files than what appears in the screenshot. As long as you have the bios file and atiflash thats all that matters. Windows 8 users might have extra files like in my screenshot.

nD7zzVf.jpg

9. Make sure the 7990 in your pc is switched onto bios 1.

s2JqQ2Q.jpg

10. Uninstall gpu drivers and any overclocking apps. Do not keep settings delete everything.

11. Restart your pc. Before you hear the beep keep tapping F8. Boot from the usb stick.

12. You should be at dos prompt. Type atiflash -i to get the adapter number for both your gpu's. Typically it will be 0 and 1, unless you have a gpu in a third pci-e slot. You need the adapter number to tell it which gpu to flash.

13. To flash gpu 1 (master 7990) type atiflash -p -f 0 Malta1.rom and hit enter.

Wait for it to finish. It will prompt you to restart but before we do that we need to flash the second gpu as well.

Now do the second gpu (slave 7990)

Type atiflash -p -f 1 Malta2.rom

Once that has completed and you get a notification saying you can restart press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart your pc.

All going well you should get a display and boot back into windows. Now you can reinstall fresh new drivers etc. Boost voltage and boost clock is disabled, your card thinks its a non boost card from now on in and you have the option to select 50% power setting as standard with every driver install.

If something goes wrong and you get no display from the cards after flashing the bios. Turn the pc off and flick both cards bios switch to position 2 to use the stock backup bios. Turn the pc back on and all will be ok.

Good luck. :cool:

Credits
Thanks to Kaboom for helping me with this.

Last edited:
The crazy overclocker in me wants to try to that but the sensible guy in may says leave it at 1100/1630 and enjoy your card how it is now >_< lol

The crazy overclocker in me wants to try to that but the sensible guy in may says leave it at 1100/1630 and enjoy your card how it is now >_< lol

This will be essential in my opinion. The only thing i might need to tweak is the voltage. Not sure if it will be enough for the crap clockers out there. Remember there is no risk as if something goes wrong just flick the bios to switch 2 and restart your pc and it will use the backup bios. Nothing to lose from this, but a lot to gain.

I need to make that Spanish dude aware. This will solve his problems completely.

Hello

We have a long threat about this issue in Spain
http://translate.google.es/translat...icias3d.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=417100

Please use Google translation
http://translate.google.es/translat...icias3d.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=417100

Look at the graphs.

o56sqhEl.jpg

Our preliminary conclusions is that the power fase are insufficient so the card has to regulate it self. In w8 it does OK but in w7 doesn't. So if your voltage is lower than 11.5 V de load will drop in w7 from 98 to 60 % jumping all the time and in w8 to a constant 92%.

The only solution to get the best of 7990 is a gold power supply higher than 800w with w8 and power limit +20%.

Do you have the same experience or the 7990 series that have been sold in Spain are wrong?

Thanks

Looking forward to trying this out!

250W TDP?? :O

Is this BIOS a warranty destroyer??

No. TDP is now the same as a normal 7970 ghz with power limit at 0%. The TDP Is very low on 7990 to stop big overclocks. This just means you can clock more freely, but you still need to be responsible. Don't run silly voltage through the card and you'll be ok. If you ever send the card back you can always flash the stock bios back to switch one first.

The XFX 7990 i have looks to be a good un. Managed to undervolt from stock 1.200v down to 1.125v fully stable. My last one wouldn't go below 1.175v stable so things are looking good.

Matt tempted to try the new bios. Not sure if my PSU is man enough though. It is an 860w platinum and feeding the 7990, FX8320 at various OCs from 4.8 GHz to 5.2. Might be tight with a bigger OC on the 7990.

Matt tempted to try the new bios. Not sure if my PSU is man enough though. It is an 860w platinum and feeding the 7990, FX8320 at various OCs from 4.8 GHz to 5.2. Might be tight with a bigger OC on the 7990.

Nah man you've got more than enough. Try the bios. I'm on a 750W gold psu and i've not seen it budge much over 500W yet with my cpu @4.9ghz.

Matt what do you think is stopping me overclocking my core more... Its at 1100 and mem at 1630.. this is on the default voltage of 1.2.
If i push the core above 1100 when running 3dmark it just locks up...Do you reckon thats a voltage thing or power limit thing?

Matt what do you think is stopping me overclocking my core more... Its at 1100 and mem at 1630.. this is on the default voltage of 1.2.
If i push the core above 1100 when running 3dmark it just locks up...Do you reckon thats a voltage thing or power limit thing?

Hard to say. According to my testing even with +20% power line the 7990 will throttle under intense load even at stock settings. Most people don't probably realise this. Let me tell you now, in 7990 official reviews its throttling. It will be running at 950/1500 for the most part yet its still the fastest graphics card out there.

Flash the bios, its worth it. ;)

Nice Matt.

Glad you got one you're happy with matey.

Cheers rusty. This ones a keeper.

I'm curious with the flashing the bios instructions you put...Download the Windows98 system files here....whats the reason for downloading windows98 files?
I remember flashing my bios for my 5870 cards but that was so long ago. Can't remember if i did that.
Also im curious at your results first with your bios flashed before i do it myself.

I'm curious with the flashing the bios instructions you put...Download the Windows98 system files here....whats the reason for downloading windows98 files?
I remember flashing my bios for my 5870 cards but that was so long ago. Can't remember if i did that.
Also im curious at your results first with your bios flashed before i do it myself.

Never question the ways of LT Matson. If you follow the guide to the letter you will be successful. Stray from the path and i can not help you.

The part you mention is to make your usb drive bootable in dos with the flashing tool.

Flashed and booted back into windows fine.. just reinstalling drivers now. Whats the best way to test if it runs at that? just stick a 3d mark test on and see if it locks up?

Flashed and booted back into windows fine.. just reinstalling drivers now. Whats the best way to test if it runs at that? just stick a 3d mark test on and see if it locks up?

I hope you you deleted the contents of the profiles folder (not the actual folder itself) of afterburner before reinstalling the drivers old boy. Otherwise afterburner will detect your old settings. Play some games is the best test tbh.

Back
Top Bottom