• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Aye, i'm aware of that, my issues truely came to light when I tried your bios. I don't believe it had any relative issues with your bios, but it was the underlying issue with my gen 3 PCIE settings messing the drivers up, but to get myself back onto level footing, I put default bios back in. I may try your bios again at some point now I have some insight into why things were going wrong.

At the moment though I am delighted just to have it in working order and will just use it as it is for now. Maybe after my weekend shift at work I will give it a go mind.

Worst case scenario is if it goes wrong when using your bios, I can go back to the way I have it now. No harm no foul. I am sure your bios is the better answer in the long term though as limiting fps to stop the card spontaneously combusting is far from ideal.

*EDIT* I have actually not noticed any difference in performance between Gen2 and Gen3 PCIE setting. Maybe it's because it was unstable on Gen3. Or maybe I won't really notice any difference on the application/settings I use, but I certainly am not losing any sleep by not using Gen3.

Last edited:
Might be worth checking your mobo doesn't have any problems running in Gen3, I had a nightmare week trying to debug stuff when I switched to an Ivy CPU and found out that my 670 had a known bug where it would crap out when running Gen3 x16 was find on Gen2 or Gen3 x8.

Turns out a lot of the earlier 670s had this problem but not many people noticed as they either where running SLI (Gen3 x8) or just on Gen2.

I am almost certain that my motherboard is funky on Gen3, there have been bios updates working on PCI-E compatibility, but it has never really been stable, but I got to be honest, through all the smaller stability issues, I didn't think to change it.

I accidentally fell upon it when just on a routine check to see if I haven't got anything switched on, that I don't want, or shouldn't have. I was currently at the point where I was going to try and RMA the card as I couldn't put up with having to make a fix every other week.

I will say since that change, I am seeing stability I have not seen since I bought the card.

I am really happy with things as they are and if I can get a prolonged sense of stability, maybe it will give me renewed faith in dual gpu cards. If matts bios sorts my throttling problems out, then I will be incredibly happy, as changing game settings to make sure I don't burn the house down, is fine now. After a while it will get incredibly tiresome. If I can keep the card relatively cool and stop throttling then it will be the ideal situation.

Going to reinstall the drivers next. Afterburner is also only showing one gpu. Still need to finish following the 7990 crossfire help thread too. I hope the second gpu is ok. Would certainly explain why performance is lower than expected.

Going to reinstall the drivers next. Afterburner is also only showing one gpu. Still need to finish following the 7990 crossfire help thread too. I hope the second gpu is ok. Would certainly explain why performance is lower than expected.

You need to disable ULPS via msi afterburner before you setup the overlay. Then you should be able to monitor all parts of GPU2 via the on screen display.

Have a look at my last 3 posts on this thread just a few posts above.

I had an issue where my card wasn't performing and I had crossfire completely disappearing. This was fixed purely by going to motherboard bios settings and switching my PCI-E from Gen3 to Gen2.

I don't think it's a blanket fix and may not be what's effecting crossfire on yours, but I had very similar issues which were plaguing me for a long time. This is the only fix that appears to have stuck. Everything else appeared to paper over the cracks for a short time (sometimes and incredibly short time).

I have certainly noticed the coil whine when the fps is high. Rather painful!

Currently benching mine - not convinced it is performing as well as it should (although maybe that is because it is all stock).

Edit: These are my 3Dmark results - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1214830

Running as expected?

Edit 2: I think I need to check whether both cores are active. I only see one in CCC and I am not convinced.

Interesting, GPUZ has no info apart from the fact that the second core is there?

That is definitely a low score, it also shows only one core where it says 7990 (1x) I believe the 1x must mean core as my score shows 7990 (2x) Also further down shows 'Number of Cards 1' Mine shows 2.

Heres mine - Stock clocks - Think this is ok? http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1729124

Last edited:
Are you using the latest motherboard bios Buzz?

Yeah, there have been several attempts to fix pcie compatibility with the updates, but it appears they haven't got it right.

I don't actually have a great motherboard. There is a story to it, but it's long winded and I do too much of that already.

Anyway long story short with it. I started building this pc in batches of parts. With a budget set at £800, the first batch was CPU (4670k), Motherboard (Gigabyte Z87-HD3) and RAM (Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz Low Profile). Every batch after that, my ambitions raised and I have been getting higher quality parts. I am currently over £1,300 and have not finished, so some parts are a little out of place in the system, but will do for now.

I will get better parts in the future, but as long as they serve me well through the Christmas period then it's all good. Will then look into possibility of watercooling the system also, but having never done it before the thought of doing it scares the hell out of me.

Just played approximately 90 minutes of Battlefield 4 @ 1100 GPU and 1575 Memory. Ran Perfectly, temps reached 81c.

Asic is 65.2% and 63.6%

Overall very happy with the card.

I don't understand why I keep losing the ability to track many of the hardware monitors for GPU2 in MSI. Very strange. I can see them in CCC? Also occasionally getting GPU2 stuck at 99%.

Performance seems fine though, so maybe just a glitch.

Last edited:
Hey Guys

Got a question , Can I send Audio+Video to my Onkyo AV Receivier through MiniDisplayPort>HDMI cable ? previously I was using hdmi on my 7970
but my new babys 7990 doesn't have hdmi :/

thanks for any help

Back
Top Bottom