• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

You think my Corsair 650TX will be able to cope temporarily running a 7990?

I am arranging to replace this but in the short term I know it's not a good idea, anyone have a socket monitor to give me an idea of what wattage they pull under stock load?

Yeah at stock with my cpu at 4.8ghz im only pulling 450-550w from the wall depending on the game played, settings used and vsync on or off.

You think my Corsair 650TX will be able to cope temporarily running a 7990?

I am arranging to replace this but in the short term I know it's not a good idea, anyone have a socket monitor to give me an idea of what wattage they pull under stock load?

I only have the Corsair 620 and it all seems fine just now.

I am on a fault finding mission. Unsure why I can't get tri-fire to work. Either my bottom PCIE slot is buggered (both 7990 and 7970 work in top slot) , my PSU may be struggling (875w thermaltake toughpower, so imagine ok?) or user error somehow.

The latter is my guess and usually the cause for all my computer issues.

Yeah at stock with my cpu at 4.8ghz im only pulling 450-550w from the wall depending on the game played, settings used and vsync on or off.

Ahh so you think it's ok for the time being. I didn't want to stare at a new 7990 for days with possibility of beyond the weekend when I could be using it.

I only have the Corsair 620 and it all seems fine just now.

That has made my day!

120fps on BF4... at 1440p....... for £389........

:eek::eek::eek:

coil whine is nasty though!

Editing to add, I had 2 5870s when they were the top dogs and both had terrible coil whine as well. However after use both ended up with absolutely none so I'm hoping this goes the same way!

Last edited:
I have certainly noticed the coil whine when the fps is high. Rather painful!

Currently benching mine - not convinced it is performing as well as it should (although maybe that is because it is all stock).

Edit: These are my 3Dmark results - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1214830

Running as expected?

Edit 2: I think I need to check whether both cores are active. I only see one in CCC and I am not convinced.

Interesting, GPUZ has no info apart from the fact that the second core is there?

Last edited:
I have certainly noticed the coil whine when the fps is high. Rather painful!

Currently benching mine - not convinced it is performing as well as it should (although maybe that is because it is all stock).

Edit: These are my 3Dmark results - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1214830

Running as expected?

Unless thats firestrike extreme that looks rather low to me. Have you increased the power limit to +20%? If not the card will be throttling consistently. Even with the power limit at +20% it will still throttle during intense moments. You need the bios flash if you want to get the best performance from the card. If you want to see if your card is throttling setup an overlay using msi afterburner. Look out for gpu usage dropping, core clock changing and voltage level fluctuating.

Lite coin, I wish it was bit coin at the prices. Lite coins slowly rising so one can dream.

Well Litecoins now @ $21 per coin and my 2x7990 are generating 2.1 Litecoins a day as we speak. This is a combined has of 3500 kHashes per second.

Yes that is $42 - $45 a day depending on network speed and price.

They are water cooled and left running 24/7 whilst at work. Only get switched off for a few gaming sessions.

At this rate they will have paid for themselves soon. :D

Well Litecoins now @ $21 per coin and my 2x7990 are generating 2.1 Litecoins a day as we speak. This is a combined has of 3500 kHashes per second.

Yes that is $42 - $45 a day depending on network speed and price.

They are water cooled and left running 24/7 whilst at work. Only get switched off for a few gaming sessions.

At this rate they will have paid for themselves soon. :D

Whats this all about? I'm up for doing this? :eek:

My issues have fallen down this thread somewhat considerably, but I will give, what is hopefully the last update on this issue.

It appears my card is back to full working order. It has taken a few steps to eventually stop the issues (mainly in Battlefield 4, but was not showing great stability overall anyway, but the changes made seems to have fixed it *touches wood*).

First thing I did, was change my PCIE from Gen 3 to Gen 2 in the bios. This seemed to eliminate my drivers doing very weird things, like acting as if they didn't exist, completely removing crossfire and various other instabilities such as rare blue screens (often just happened once after installing new drivers and then never saw them again for a very long time) and horrendous fps. This meant I no longer had to reinstall/repair windows every time my drivers went crazy, which allowed me more time to test other fixes.

The next step was completely unrelated to my problems, but I did it anyway, clocked my ram to 1800mhz. I don't believe this would have any positive effect on the issues I was facing, if anything it would have made it more likely to cause issues than anything.

The final step and the one which has eliminated my freezing in BF4 and has seemed to make it run a lot more stable. In afterburner, I ticked the box to force a constant voltage. Now, this is not as cool as it sounds, without my fps limited in BF4 I accidentally hit 98 degree's before realising. I then got my user.cfg to work (it wasn't for some reason), so now I have my fps limited to 61, I am no longer suffering the freeze after several hours of Battlefield 4 last night and the temps are more in line with what I should expect.

With that change, I won't lie, it improved my Heaven score CONSIDERABLY. (We are talking 150-200 points here with max official overclocking values (1100, 1575). It makes things run hot, but I have always had an aggressive fan profile anyway as one of my gpu's has a terrible ASIC rating. so it runs 10-15 degree's hotter than the other from the off. As long as I either use vsync or limit fps (because Vsync in Battlefield 4 is a stuttery mess and feels like 15fps rather than 60) then my temps are well in control.

Not really happy it's taken the best part of 2 weeks to get into working order, but I am pleased I appear to have a card that not only wants to perform well, but in a stable manner as well.

Below are the results of my Heaven, before and after the change.

Heaven 4.0 (1100, 1575 Constant Voltage off)

FPS: 65.3
Score: 1646
Min FPS: 23.5
Max FPS: 145.3

Heaven 4.0 (1100, 1575 Constant Voltage on)

FPS: 72.4
Score: 1823
Min FPS: 23.2
Max FPS: 172.2

Hopefully I can draw a line on this now and I can save your eyes some trouble, by not throwing my wall of text into your faces! :D

Back
Top Bottom