• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

I don't understand why I keep losing the ability to track many of the hardware monitors for GPU2 in MSI. Very strange. I can see them in CCC? Also occasionally getting GPU2 stuck at 99%.

Performance seems fine though, so maybe just a glitch.

Disable ULPS! Disable ULPS! Disable ULPS!

You need to disable ULPS via msi afterburner before you setup the overlay. Then you should be able to monitor all parts of GPU2 via the on screen display.

3Isr92J.jpg

How come i dont have all those options on my afterburner? certainly not the disable ulps one!(have done it the old fashioned way)
And im guessing voltage control only comes with the new bios?
i know the answers just clarifying in case i missed something.

You need to update your afterburner version. The latest is Beta 17 with Beta 18 (includes 64bit support) due very shortly, likely first few days in December.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_get/msi_afterburner_beta_download,19.html

I highly recommend people running stock like me experiment lowering the stock voltage as much as possible. Helps brings temps down and with good case airflow and exhaust lets you run auto fan for complete silence. I managed to get my stock voltage down from 1.200v down to 1.120v fully stable as you can see in the screenshot above.

You need to update your afterburner version. The latest is Beta 17 with Beta 18 (includes 64bit support) due very shortly, likely first few days in December.

http://www.guru3d.com/files_get/msi_afterburner_beta_download,19.html

I highly recommend people running stock like me experiment lowering the stock voltage as much as possible. Helps brings temps down and with good case airflow and exhaust lets you run auto fan for complete silence. I managed to get my stock voltage down from 1.200v down to 1.120v fully stable as you can see in the screenshot above.

Doing that requires your bios right? That is my Saturday project :)

This might be a silly question, but it's not really a journey I have taken before.

With 7990, can I change which gpu acts as the primary by switching their bios profiles? or are they designed with a clear primary and secondary in mind on a hardware level?

I ask this because my current primary gpu has a very poor asic rating. I mean very poor like 59%, it leads with a temp variance of up to 20 degree's under load. I have to have my fans on 100% after 70 degree's to keep it cool as it is, but as my secondary gpu is usually the one doing less work, it may make things easier to cool if I can switch the primary and secondary gpu around. One gpu can be nearing 90 degree's whilst the other will be comfortably in the 70's.

Here is temp differences whilst at idle state. This gets a lot worse as usage kicks in.

vfz9.jpg

This might be a silly question, but it's not really a journey I have taken before.

With 7990, can I change which gpu acts as the primary by switching their bios profiles? or are they designed with a clear primary and secondary in mind on a hardware level?

I ask this because my current primary gpu has a very poor asic rating. I mean very poor like 59%, it leads with a temp variance of up to 20 degree's under load. I have to have my fans on 100% after 70 degree's to keep it cool as it is, but as my secondary gpu is usually the one doing less work, it may make things easier to cool if I can switch the primary and secondary gpu around. One gpu can be nearing 90 degree's whilst the other will be comfortably in the 70's.

Here is temp differences whilst at idle state. This gets a lot worse as usage kicks in.

vfz9.jpg

Let me guess, you have a Asus 7990 from OcuK?

You cannot switch the cores round im afraid.

I have the Gigabyte 7990 from ocuk.

Just tested in Heaven now, under heavy load gpu1 got to 89 degrees, gpu2 got to 58 degree's. This is no drop in the ocean, the 2nd gpu is easily kept under control. 1st gpu is almost possessed and my poor fans struggle to tame it. It makes things very limiting for what I can do on air. Luckily they perform pretty damn well at stock, still a bit annoying to see such a large temperature variance though.

I guess water cooling is a must after Christmas is over with.

Interesting. Is ULPS disabled? Is the core clock of either chip dropping below 1100? What about gpu usage is that dropping down to 50-60% before going back up?
Thats definitely not right to have such a big gap between cores. Hows your case cooling?

ULPS is disabled. I do have force constant voltage on at the moment, which makes things run hotter as it solves a crash issue I had in BF4, which will be my fix until I try your bios after the weekend.

None of the core clocks drop at all, the only thing is is whilst GPU1 stays with usage between 96%-99% GPU2 varies from 85%-99%, whilst spending most of the time in mid to high 90's (which is why I asked if I could change the primary gpu as gpu 2 would be better prepared for the higher usage). I have the Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower, which has pretty decent airflow (have the 230mm side fan exhausting air from the case to help with gpu cooling).

ASIC Rating for GPU1 is listed at 59.2%, GPU2 is listed at 64.5%

I just done a benchmark at stock speeds with voltage set at 1130, it ran through heaven fine, but the temps did not change very much at all.

Likely you're getting a bit of throttling as you didnt flash the bios did you? Both gpu's should be close to or at 99% solid if ULPS Is indeed off and the gpu is not throttling. The usage will drop a bit as the scene changes then ramp back up to 99% for both gpu's.

Likely you're getting a bit of throttling as you didnt flash the bios did you? Both gpu's should be close to or at 99% solid if ULPS Is indeed off and the gpu is not throttling. The usage will drop a bit as the scene changes then ramp back up to 99% for both gpu's.

Not flashed the bios yet, plan to do it on Monday when I finished my weekend shift at work. Due to all the issues I have had lately, I been taking advantage of it actually working (in other words, sucking at Battlefield 4 as per usual).

When gpu drops to 85% usage, it does ramp back up to mid to high 90's, but never quite stays at 99%. I know I had both on 99% first time I used your bios, but the issue I had with drivers/pcie gen3 so I never got a solid opportunity to test it. If I can improve the average usage of gpu2 by 5% it would raise the temps a bit, but would it actually account for the 28 degree's variance I am seeing.

I know the 7990 has a backplate to make it more sturdy, but could the card be flexing and causing issues with airflow inside the card? I don't know if that would be an issue, but I assume there is a possibility of that.

Not flashed the bios yet, plan to do it on Monday when I finished my weekend shift at work. Due to all the issues I have had lately, I been taking advantage of it actually working (in other words, sucking at Battlefield 4 as per usual).

When gpu drops to 85% usage, it does ramp back up to mid to high 90's, but never quite stays at 99%. I know I had both on 99% first time I used your bios, but the issue I had with drivers/pcie gen3 so I never got a solid opportunity to test it. If I can improve the average usage of gpu2 by 5% it would raise the temps a bit, but would it actually account for the 28 degree's variance I am seeing.

I know the 7990 has a backplate to make it more sturdy, but could the card be flexing and causing issues with airflow inside the card? I don't know if that would be an issue, but I assume there is a possibility of that.

I'm asking Dave Baunmann from AMD on twitter about the temp differences per core for 7990 chips and if all AIB's are binning for them or not.

The Asus 7990 i had from OcuK had 61% and 66% asics and i also saw a 8-15c difference in load temps between cores. Bailey said it was fine and within tolerances but i wasn't happy with it. Seems like your Gigabyte one is also the same. Now the XFX one i bought elsewhere has nigh on identical asics. The second gpu, right on the screenshot below, runs 1-2c warmer than the first gpu but once they've been under load for a few minutes they start to even out a bit and typically remain identical or within 1-2c of each other. This one also runs a good 10c-15c+ cooler than the one i sent back.

NaxAGWl.jpg

I'm pretty sure its not normal to see a 28c difference in your temps. I will post more when Dave replies to me. Pretty sure OcuK will accept a return if you make them aware of this.

I'm asking Dave Baunmann from AMD on twitter about the temp differences per core for 7990 chips and if all AIB's are binning for them or not.

The Asus 7990 i had from OcuK had 61% and 66% asics and i also saw a 8-15c difference in load temps between cores. Bailey said it was fine and within tolerances but i wasn't happy with it. Seems like your Gigabyte one is also the same. Now the XFX one i bought elsewhere has nigh on identical asics. The second gpu, right on the screenshot below, runs 1-2c warmer than the first gpu but once they've been under load for a few minutes they start to even out a bit and typically remain identical or within 1-2c of each other. This one also runs a good 10c-15c+ cooler than the one i sent back.

NaxAGWl.jpg

I'm pretty sure its not normal to see a 28c difference in your temps. I will post more when Dave replies to me. Pretty sure OcuK will accept a return if you make them aware of this.

Cheers for that Matt, I really appreciate it. I will have a word with ocuk, see what they say about it.

I'd check the seating/thermal paste of the heatsink. When I took the cooler off my Gigabyte card to put on the water block one of the memory chips still had the plastic backing on the back of the thermal pad! You may improve things by re-seating everything....

I'd check the seating/thermal paste of the heatsink. When I took the cooler off my Gigabyte card to put on the water block one of the memory chips still had the plastic backing on the back of the thermal pad! You may improve things by re-seating everything....

:eek:

Shocking.

Really would like to take mine apart and re paste it but it was warranty void stickers on four of the screws. Saying that though my temps are pretty much identical so maybe maybe its already a good un and i should leave well alone. :D

Back
Top Bottom