• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Guys I am seeing some weird results here, if I use afterburner with the same settings as CCC I get a 15 - 25 FPS average drop on Tomb Raider benchmark, I also get a lower GFX score in 3DMark.

2 X 7970 (QuadFire) - 3240x1920 res on tomb raider benchmark.

Settings in each:

Core: 1100
Memory: 1500
Voltage: 1200 (stock)
Power: +20

Fan speed: fixed 100% (to prevent throttling)

Now, in CCC I have "enable graphics overdrive" ticked and the same settings selected.

Any ideas?? o.O

FYI, it's afterburner beta 17 - I also tried beta 15 - same deal.

Yeah I've done all that, currently got it out of case on my fresh to debug. Fans won't spin on GPU without clearing CMOS they will just twitch like there a short.

After clearing CMOS they will spin up but then hear the bios beeps.

So need to test card in another board and then test PSU as it could be that which is dud as it is new

Hmm. Since installing the new bios performance seems to have decreased. Very slightly in 3Dmark, but considerably when benching Rome 2. Same at both default and reduced voltage settings. Might just need a restart again.

Edit: 78.2 average in Sleeping Dogs benchmark seems low?

Last edited:
Hmm. Since installing the new bios performance seems to have decreased. Very slightly in 3Dmark, but considerably when benching Rome 2. Same at both default and reduced voltage settings. Might just need a restart again.

Edit: 78.2 average in Sleeping Dogs benchmark seems low?

What are your performance overlays telling you? They will let you know if the card is throttling, struggling etc. Look out for core clock fluctuations and gpu usage dropping. Maybe you removed too much voltage? 78.2 does seem low, assuming you ran at 1080p.

Quick question guys, do the fans on the 7990 blow air through the heatsink onto the card? or blow away from the card sucking air through the heatsink?

Thanks.

They blow air through the heatsink onto the core/vrms and that hot air is expelled through the top vents of the card. Its why have a good side exhaust fan or two is ideal.

What are your performance overlays telling you? They will let you know if the card is throttling, struggling etc. Look out for core clock fluctuations and gpu usage dropping. Maybe you removed too much voltage? 78.2 does seem low, assuming you ran at 1080p.

I tried running at stock and reduced voltage using your bios. Same result - Rome 2 has become a stuttery mess and has gone down to 15 or so fps. When i get home i will run again and monitor the clocks. Strangely haven't lost much from 3dmark, but will run that again too.

I tried running at stock and reduced voltage using your bios. Same result - Rome 2 has become a stuttery mess and has gone down to 15 or so fps. When i get home i will run again and monitor the clocks. Strangely haven't lost much from 3dmark, but will run that again too.

Did you set power limit to +50%? Mine was a janky mess until I did that.

I've just joined the 7990 owners club. Ashamed to admit I bought the MSI 7990 from the Bolton competitor but at £360 it's a steal with the 8 games!

I did however buy a Corsair RM850 Gold PSU from OCUK to power it :)

Use 50% power tune. Fire and forget. Also Rome 2 does not work so well with multi gpu.

Did you set power limit to +50%? Mine was a janky mess until I did that.

This.

I've just joined the 7990 owners club. Ashamed to admit I bought the MSI 7990 from the Bolton competitor but at £360 it's a steal with the 8 games!

I did however buy a Corsair RM850 Gold PSU from OCUK to power it :)

Welcome to the club. Cracking deal that. £20 less than i paid.

Any known hardware conflicts? Really stumped with why this isn't posting.

Other than updating your bios ive no idea. Can you try the card in a different pc?

Back
Top Bottom