• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

So checked with fan speed at 50, it seems the core 1 will run at 85 and core 2
70. Big difference.
Stock i`m getting 12 degrees between them, slightly worrying.

Running Heaven benchmark, 20 minutes in, one core is at 78c the other 67c.
Leaving it running, Core 1 is fluctuating between 950/1000mhz, core 2 always at 1000mhz.

Msi 7990.

Thought it may be worth posting a few samples of coil whine I can hear with my 7990 as to compare..

Msi 7990, stock volts/clocks, Ulps Disabled, Crossfire enabled.

All recorded using a built in android app so not the best quality. 48khz wav files.

Please take a listen, headphones recommended.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20406996/ocuk/2013-12-03_08-12-21.wav - Running Atitool
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20406996/ocuk/2013-12-03_08-14-50.wav - Running heaven
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20406996/ocuk/2013-12-03_08-17-48.wav - Running Assassin's Creed - Black Flag, no vsync, 59fps cap in AB, looking up and down causes the framerate to go up and down too, making the whining sound alternate from a low pitch to high pitch. Can you hear the ticking sound? It's quite loud even with all my fans on.

Last edited:
I've flashed the bios and disabled ULPS. Is there any other tweaks/settings I should look at? I'm quite new to all this so any help would be appreciated.

I've flashed the bios and disabled ULPS. Is there any other tweaks/settings I should look at? I'm quite new to all this so any help would be appreciated.

Check out the 'how to make sure crossfire is working link in my sig'. Other than that, i think you're good to go. :)

I wasn't being ignorant, I know you pointed it out earlier on too, Thanks :)
Will my card still clock down when in 2d mode as you mention the card will be running at 100% all the time. :)

Yes the card clocks down as normal. All the bios does is stop the throttling issues you mentioned.

Check out the 'how to make sure crossfire is working link in my sig'. Other than that, i think you're good to go. :)

Yes the card clocks down as normal. All the bios does is stop the throttling issues you mentioned.

Bios flash was successful :). Latest drivers installed, 12.11 beta 9.4 (nov 22nd).
Crossfire turned on. Great stuff.

Btw, Asic has reported 61. I seem to have no luck with Graphic cards at all, my 7970 was around the same. Lol.

Last edited:
Bios flash was successful :). Latest drivers installed, 12.11 beta 9.4 (nov 22nd).
Crossfire turned on. Great stuff.

Btw, Asic has reported 61. I seem to have no luck with Graphic cards at all, my 7970 was around the same. Lol.

It doesn't mean too much for 7990's. Its just nice to have cards with similar asics for similar temps.

Hi Matt,

I did everything in your sigs with my new 7990 yesterday - bios flash went fine, setup the Xfire monitoring :) it's working amazingly well! There is coil whine but it's not louder than my fans so it doesn't bother me at all.

I currently have it on stock voltage, how do I lower it and make sure the card is still operating fine? I noticed that when running Heaven my usage was only ~94%? Average FPS was 126.

Thanks,
Jack

Hi Matt,

I did everything in your sigs with my new 7990 yesterday - bios flash went fine, setup the Xfire monitoring :) it's working amazingly well! There is coil whine but it's not louder than my fans so it doesn't bother me at all.

I currently have it on stock voltage, how do I lower it and make sure the card is still operating fine? I noticed that when running Heaven my usage was only ~94%? Average FPS was 126.

Thanks,
Jack

Set up a stock profile 1.200v, 1000/1500 with +20% power tune. Save to profile 1, then select apply overclock at startup. Now knock the voltage down to 1.175v and play some games for an hour. If you get no crashes then save it to profile one and overwrite the old settings. Knock it down to 1.150mv and try again. Eventually you'll get a crash when that happens knock it up 0.010-0.015v and try again. Make sure you test a game with vsync off so both gpu's sit at 99% usage. Farcry 3 is very good for spotting a dodgy core overclock.

I run 1.135v at stock 1000/1500.

Set up a stock profile 1.200v, 1000/1500 with +20% power tune. Save to profile 1, then select apply overclock at startup. Now knock the voltage down to 1.175v and play some games for an hour. If you get no crashes then save it to profile one and overwrite the old settings. Knock it down to 1.150mv and try again. Eventually you'll get a crash when that happens knock it up 0.010-0.015v and try again. Make sure you test a game with vsync off so both gpu's sit at 99% usage. Farcry 3 is very good for spotting a dodgy core overclock.

I run 1.135v at stock 1000/1500.

Excellent! Thank you, I shall do this tonight. What will be the most significant benefit of going from 1.2 to 1.15 for example? Temps lower?

Thanks again! Your threads encouraged me to buy a 7990 in all honesty!

Excellent! Thank you, I shall do this tonight. What will be the most significant benefit of going from 1.2 to 1.15 for example? Temps lower?

Thanks again! Your threads encouraged me to buy a 7990 in all honesty!

Lower temps, less fan noise.(if you use auto fan)

If you want a quiet but extremely fast setup then Auto fan and lower the voltage as much as you can without crashing is what you want. Keep temps at 85C or lower and the fan is really quiet. :)

Not sure if anyone's got back to you Matt but those numbers look good. Which pool are you with? I'm getting about 1.4MH on my 7990.

Only Thot did so far.

I've under clocked and under volted a bit now to keep core/vrm temps down. Running at 950/1500 while using the pc for browsing etc and im getting around 665-670 hash x2.

I'm with LTCRABBIT atm. Don't know if they're any good or not tbh.

Back
Top Bottom