• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

With the purchased of the 7990 and new mobo I haven't sorted anything out properly yet, my install went abit crazy so I decided to install Win8 to see how it is.

I was properly playing BF4 for the first time, about 120fps at 1200p on ultra dropping to 70 minimum roughly using the in game counter.

Hated Windows 8, re-installed windows 7, won't go above 60fps now even in empty maps. :o

With the purchased of the 7990 and new mobo I haven't sorted anything out properly yet, my install went abit crazy so I decided to install Win8 to see how it is.

I was properly playing BF4 for the first time, about 120fps at 1200p on ultra dropping to 70 minimum roughly using the in game counter.

Hated Windows 8, re-installed windows 7, won't go above 60fps now even in empty maps. :o

What CPU?

Don't suppose anyone could tell me what GPU/VRM temps I should be aiming for on a HD7990 for 24/7 mining use? I'm currently getting mid 80's on both.

I find when mining vrms temps are typically 3-5C hotter than core temps. When gaming this trend is reversed. Use GPU-Z to monitor vrm temps. Try to keep core temps at 90C or lower while mining. Try to keep vrm temps below 100c. However if you keep core temps at 90C or lower vrm temps should not be a problem assuming the card is functioning correctly. 7990 vrms are rated up to 120c.

noob question, if I use your bios then how much will it improve? (roughly is fine)
your cpu is OC so could be because of win8...

Strangely it's starting to show again now.

Does anyone know why I get a considerable less score on Icestorm and cloudgate and a lesser score on firestrike than jupiter_man?

Jupiter_man = http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1798260

Me = http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1801908

They are very similar spec systems although my CPU is better and has a bigger overclock but I still get less on graphics and physics, I'm very confused :(

Could Windows 8.1 give you less performance than windows 7? That is my only theory on my above quoted problem.

I find when mining vrms temps are typically 3-5C hotter than core temps. When gaming this trend is reversed. Use GPU-Z to monitor vrm temps. Try to keep core temps at 90C or lower while mining. Try to keep vrm temps below 100c. However if you keep core temps at 90C or lower vrm temps should not be a problem assuming the card is functioning correctly. 7990 vrms are rated up to 120c.

Cool, I am currently getting 76/78 on the GPUs, and 85 on both VRMs, that's at stock 1000/1500 1.2v and its pulling ~1270 KH/s. Might try squeezing a few more KH/s out of it :)

2. Under volt to 1.125v-1.175v.

I hope you don't think I am being rude but can you be more specific please? I'm all for lowering heat but I don't really want to waste mining time spending ages trying to find a stable voltage, should 1.15v work for most 7990's at 1000/1500 clocks?

I hope you don't think I am being rude but can you be more specific please? I'm all for lowering heat but I don't really want to waste mining time spending ages trying to find a stable voltage, should 1.15v work for most 7990's at 1000/1500 clocks?

Up to you if you want to spend time tweaking. Benefits are less heat, less noise, (assuming you use auto fan like me) less power usage. Mining requires less voltage than intensive gaming it seems, but it does create more heat. I don't know how little voltage your card will need to be stable at stock. Its up to you to figure that out.

Up to you if you want to spend time tweaking. Benefits are less heat, less noise, (assuming you use auto fan like me) less power usage.

Less heat sounds nice, less power usage = the card pays for itself faster (I am only doing mining for fun but would like to break even, I'm enjoying it as like folding but cheaper to do :P), however as for noise...

CAN YOU SPEAK UP PLEASE I DIDN'T QUITE CATCH THAT! 100% FAN? YES I'M THERE! :P

9tkx.jpg

Mining requires less voltage than intensive gaming it seems, but it does create more heat. I don't know how little voltage your card will need to be stable at stock. Its up to you to figure that out.

I see, well according to your BIOS thread the card throttles to non boost of 1.170v 950/1500, so if that's stable for gaming then 1.150v 1000/1500 should do for mining right?

Will be interesting to see :p
I've never used Windows 8 :o But if it gives a huge performance increase then I'll go for it.

I didn't like the OS one bit but you can mod it.

I'm just confused as on win8 the performance was correct as to how the card should be performing but different story on 7. Formatting now then got to download bf again.

Back
Top Bottom