*******Official Armed Assault 2 thread of official officialness*******

Associate
I am still play Arma II with ACE2 on my laptop - brilliant game if you accept the slowness and the harshness of the game - 1 shot, 1 kill.
I really enjoy creating my own missions where I am a simple grunt as part of a large group. My missions are simple "Eradicate all hostiles from area" style, where I just create loads of groups at random positions, then set their waypoints to a large village and let the AI duke it out. Surprising how realistic the combat feels, compared to the 1 man against an entire army you normally get with CoD.

Caporegime
Arma2 w/ ACE2 multiplayer co-op is where the fun is at for me. Black Shark is stealing all of my time at the moment, but when there is a really well made co-op mission and a good group of you on TS it's great. :) Kelly's Heroes server rocks, by the way!

d|b

d|b

Associate
So is there a good community out there? If I buy the game and go online will I find people too play with and is it just a matter of logging on and jumping in to the game?

Caporegime
I've only ever really played on the Kelly's Heroes server. Jump on their TS server as well as game server, and it's great. The mass majority of players on there are regulars (if not KH members) and a rappor is soon built up. :)

Soldato
i play with USSOCOM there server is one of the best (filter for socom) you must have the ACE2 mod to play on it. almost always busy and good performance even though the server is in new york. good bunch of guys. also for some great mods check out armaholic. highly reccomend the full screen NVGs WarFX particles and JTD smoke effects.

Soldato
If you're expecting UT or Quake style CTF, you'll be bitterly disappointed. Likewise if you are expecting anything like any of the Battlefield series, or Call of Duty.

Arma2 is a battle simulator, not an arcade game. :)

Why would I be disappointed? I already play in some leagues and ladders for PvP in ArmA 2 and enjoy them greatly :)! Its not the same as the other run and gun FPS's but you can still have fun with it! I've been playing in PvP leagues now for ArmA, and ArmA 2 for almost 5 years :eek:

Soldato
Having come from PR mod for BF2, I do find this a better game but I don't find the community as accessible. Hold mode so far appear nothing more than a bunch of individuals running around shooting at each other with minimal teamwork and having trouble finding decent servers for other modes, although some recommendations here already so I'll give them a go.

Soldato
i kinda enjoyed the single player once i got a few guides online but it pretty much gives you a 225km sq map and says find this guy, he might be here or here or here but maybe not... so really you are thrown in the deep. also dont trust the helo pilot to extract/insert you into a tight spot. if the field isnt 4 miles wide with no trees in it he cant land you there :) shame you cant get a friend to pilot it for you cos personally i could land you anywhere.

Soldato
Yes in short.
As jakspyder says above - it does lack a few things - mainly the abilility to do WHATEVER you want. There are some limitation (mention in the post above mine) but it really does give a lot of scope to play with.

I'm still enjoying it.

What system do you have? It's the most unoptimized game in history for me!

Soldato
What system do you have? It's the most unoptimized game in history for me!
Currently running Core 2 Quad 6600, 8Gb RAM, BFG GeForce 8800, and Vista 64. I'm guessing I'll have to run on medium detail levels??
Just realised that system is 2 years old, must look at upgrading!!!

Back
Top Bottom