**Official Asus A8N-SLI Premium Thread**

Hi just to let everyone know the release of bios 1011 is actualy a mistake by asus and does not contain all the fixes they said it fixes infact a lot of people are having problems with it.

Asus have now released a new beta verion os 1011 called 1011.006 and is on the asus website and fixes the problems in the so called official release.

Please help. I have this premium board now with a X1900XT card. I have the lock up and shut down problem that has been mentioned. Do I need to remove Nvidia drivers from add and remove programe? Does this stop the shut down and lock ups?
I have read the whole thread and now Im confused. The comp will either go to a blank screen ot coloured screen and freeze. The only way to get out is to reboot. Then all is fine until the next time. No pattern etc.
I think its a driver issue and thought after reading all this it may relate to the nvidia drivers??
Any help appreciated.

JamesUK said:
Hi just to let everyone know the release of bios 1011 is actualy a mistake by asus and does not contain all the fixes they said it fixes infact a lot of people are having problems with it.

Asus have now released a new beta verion os 1011 called 1011.006 and is on the asus website and fixes the problems in the so called official release.

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N-SLI Premium/1011-006.zip

to be exact. :)

they have now removed the dodgy 1011 (i think it was just 1011.005 again) that was hosted on there.

AnastieByte said:
Please help. I have this premium board now with a X1900XT card. I have the lock up and shut down problem that has been mentioned. Do I need to remove Nvidia drivers from add and remove programe? Does this stop the shut down and lock ups?
I have read the whole thread and now Im confused. The comp will either go to a blank screen ot coloured screen and freeze. The only way to get out is to reboot. Then all is fine until the next time. No pattern etc.
I think its a driver issue and thought after reading all this it may relate to the nvidia drivers??
Any help appreciated.

what power supply do you have? i haven't heard of this problem i had an x1900xtx for a short while and it seemed to work fine other than a strange signal loss problem on bios screen, if you are getting lockups or blank screens then i would look towards either inadequate power supply or faulty card.

Actually now I think of it have you tried disabling the PEG function in the BIOS? i think it auto-overclocks ati cards might be worth a shot.

p.s. you only need to remove nvidia display drivers.

mmj_uk said:
...they have now removed the dodgy 1011 (i think it was just 1011.005 again) that was hosted on there.

Hi guys :D

Interesting? I've just updated to the 1011.006 BIOS and find that I can no longer OC (I only mildly OC; it seems to be related to increasing my CPU multi) - however, with the "dodgy" .005's, I had no probs OCing :confused:

Anyone else having any probs, or any solutions? I've tried reverting back to the ones that worked, but the BIOS won't have it :(

Best Regards to all,

LAGAVULIN

matt100 said:
not had any issues with it, no compatibility issues, oc's nicely, silent.. very nice.
A lot easier than the dfi I just got!
Yup same here, I been running this mobo for over two months now and it rocks! It's my first A64 system and so far I have had no issues.

Mook said:
I assume the Asus A8N-SLI runs dual core ok now? I mean bios support etc etc
Yes its works fine. I am using the BIOS that came with my mobo (1009). not in a rush to update it yet as I have no issues.

Zico said:
1011 supports all AMD 64 chips upto FX60 and several Operton processors. Goto Asus UK's site and you can get a list of CPU support and which bios it was included in.
1009 has worked fine for me with an Opteron 146 and now an Opteron 170.

I cant fault the board, but the only thing I would like to see with a new bios is the actual cpu core be able to do over 1.5v, my FX-53 runs at 1.5v i.e clawhammer but to make it fully stable at 2.6ghz or maybe higher I need the extra! I didnt actually know this at the time but its kinda annoying to say the least but its okay for most people because the newer cpu's run on a lower voltage that can be increased. :confused:

SLI questions...

Lagavulin said:
Hi guys :D
Interesting? I've just updated to the 1011.006 BIOS and find that I can no longer OC (I only mildly OC; it seems to be related to increasing my CPU multi) - however, with the "dodgy" .005's, I had no probs OCing :confused:
Anyone else having any probs, or any solutions? I've tried reverting back to the ones that worked, but the BIOS won't have it :(
Further to my above post, after recently configuring SLI on this mobo, I'm confused by the function of the molex 'EZ Plug'...

I'm using a 24-pin ATX 2.0 PSU (Hiper R-Type 580W - SLI approved) and both GPU's are receiving juice, but the EZ Plug still complains at POST (so I disabled it in BIOS) but the red LED still lights up? Should it be doin' this?

And as regards SLI, does anyone know what the SLI Broadcast Aperture actually does and what effect does either disabling or setting to Auto in the BIOS actually have?

Many thanks in advance,

LAGAVULIN

SLI problem

Got the sli premium and cant get the SLI to work!

DOne as much as I can but can someone take me through a step by step guide for installing 2 x 7800GTX. Both cards are powered, got a molex going into the mobo (ez plug) and got the bridge on (though not sure which way it should be!) What else do I need to do??

edit - ai selector says 2 cards, but nvidia sli not seeing another? have only (in this setup got a signal going to 1 monitor on the lower of the 2 cards, left hand connector as you look at it from the rear. is this the correct 1?)

Last edited:
Nelly said:
IF you installed the chipset drivers off the support CD which came with the motherboard, do this:-

1) Insert the CD, you should have on your screen a mini table with a drivers list to install as follows:- Nvidia Chipset Driver Program, Make Nvidia PATA RAID Driver Disk etc etc etc - ignore these for now.

2) Under the Asus icon click on the far right tiny icon which says "Browse the file list of the support cd" it should then give you a contents of the driver versions & check what it says for Chipset which should read something like this: -Chipset
-WIN2K3 -nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.66 for Windows 2000/2003.
-WINXP -nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.65 for Windows XP(WHQL).
-Win64XP -nVidia Chipset(CK804) 64 bit driver version V6.65 for Windows XP(WHQL)/2003.
-2003x64 -nVidia Chipset(CK804) 64 bit driver version V6.66 for Windows 2003.
-Novell -nVidia DOS NDIS Ethernet and ODI driver V4.52.

When I recieved my mob I upgraded my chipset drivers to the latest ones which are here this applys to Windows XP:- http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.70.html

Basically regardless if you use the mentioned onces 6.70 off the above website then you will be using the same ones I'm using with Bios 1009, hope that helps. Any problems just let me know. :)

was just wondering if you could clear up a couple of things for me

im on bios 1005 and have set my geil value dual 1gb to 1T timmings

but when i check this in windows it shows the ram at 2cmd which im guessing is 2T

i havnt installed the chipset drivers which i have seen on the asus website, should i install the nvidia ones from there website or is this something different?

should i also upgrade *** chipset drivers before flashing the bios?

and which bios should i go for?

any help would be great

thanks

Nelly said:
IF you installed the chipset drivers off the support CD which came with the motherboard, do this
If you didn't, what part of the Driver Details of the nForce SATA Controller tells you your current version?

Mine shows the file version as: 5.10.2660.0552

Seeing as nobody answered my last question, I'll ask another and see if that gets anyones attention.

I'm tinkering with my Opty 165 and have just set the VCore in the Bios to 1.4v, however CPU-Z is giving me some strange readings. It's fluctuating wildly, with the lowest reading being 1.392 and the highest being 1.440!

What could be causing this?

glitch said:
Seeing as nobody answered my last question, I'll ask another and see if that gets anyones attention.

I'm tinkering with my Opty 165 and have just set the VCore in the Bios to 1.4v, however CPU-Z is giving me some strange readings. It's fluctuating wildly, with the lowest reading being 1.392 and the highest being 1.440!

What could be causing this?

Not sure mate but mine is set to 1.5v ir fluctuates between 1.488 to 1.520 maybe its normal??

glitch said:
If you didn't, what part of the Driver Details of the nForce SATA Controller tells you your current version?

Mine shows the file version as: 5.10.2660.0552

Sorry, I must have missed that post you did - to answer your question I THINK! its the last four digits i.e 0552
When you download the latest drivers, if you read the actual "readme" file it says this:-
This nForce Win2K/XP driver package contains the below components:

Audio driver version 4.62 (WHQL)
Audio utility version 4.51
Ethernet NRM driver version 4.82 (WHQL)
Network management tools version 4.88
SMBus driver version 4.50 (WHQL)
Installer version 4.93
Win2K IDE PATARAID driver version 5.52
Win2K IDE SATARAID driver version 5.52 (WHQL)
Win2K IDE SATA_IDE driver version 5.52 (WHQL)
Win2K RAIDTOOL application version 5.52
WinXP IDE PATARAID driver version 5.52
WinXP IDE SATARAID driver version 5.52 (WHQL)
WinXP IDE SATA_IDE driver version 5.52 (WHQL)
WinXP RAIDTOOL application version 5.52

Hope that helps.

duncsharp said:
was just wondering if you could clear up a couple of things for me

im on bios 1005 and have set my geil value dual 1gb to 1T timmings

but when i check this in windows it shows the ram at 2cmd which im guessing is 2T

i havnt installed the chipset drivers which i have seen on the asus website, should i install the nvidia ones from there website or is this something different?

should i also upgrade *** chipset drivers before flashing the bios?

and which bios should i go for?

any help would be great

thanks

1) If you use CPU-Z, download it here:- http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php under command rate it should specify if its running 1T or 2T
2) I would use Bios 1009, thats what most people are using to my knowlege.
3) Personally speaking I would use the latest chipset drivers off the Nvidia website, I'm using them with no problems - the latest ones which are here this applys to Windows XP:- http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.70.html

Last edited:
Nelly said:
Not sure mate but mine is set to 1.5v ir fluctuates between 1.488 to 1.520 maybe its normal??
Possibly, but I'm still slightly concerned - running PC Probe II reveals a fluctuation across all my voltages. Coud it be traced back to the PSU?

Nelly said:
Sorry, I must have missed that post you did - to answer your question I THINK! its the last four digits i.e 0552
When you download the latest drivers, if you read the actual "readme" file it says this:-

Hope that helps.
It does, thanks!

Sumanji said:
Hey,

A lot of people are getting this board because of the reliable brand, loaded features and solid overclocking potential. But every board has it's unique niggles! So I thought I'd make a thread where owners can post and exchange solutions/tips/tricks etc.

List of useful links:

Asus Downloads (BIOS, Drivers, Utilities etc.)

My MBM5 folder customised to work with A8N-SLI Premium

ACPI x64 Driver (to get rid of Yellow ? in Windows XP x64)

(Will update the above list with your suggestions, just drop me an email!)

Cheers,

Suman

Sorry, I could not find A8N SLI PREMIUM in MBM5 wizzard, please guide me

Big.Wayne said:
Hi,

download this:

My MBM5 folder customised to work with A8N-SLI Premium

unrar it and copy the entire contents of the *data* folder into your MBM/Data folder, that's it!

(You don't need to use the MBM wizard at all).

Sorry again i do not quite understand what you trying to explain.

I did unrar the MBM5 folder. In there i found a folder "data". and where is the MBM5 data folder? all i see are
DATA, DLL, DUMP, Heat up, Help, Language, Misc,Log, Plugin
please help

Conman said:
Sorry again i do not quite understand what you trying to explain.

I did unrar the MBM5 folder. In there i found a folder "data". and where is the MBM5 data folder? all i see are
DATA, DLL, DUMP, Heat up, Help, Language, Misc,Log, Plugin
please help

LOL i have not install the program yet. No body mention that. I though the program work straight from the rar folder. Anyway got it work now...

Thanks guys now it time for the OC

Hi all , i have the SE version of the A8N SLI so not the premium but does anyone here still use a newcastle core cpu with this board ??? i ask because i cant get to run it at 2.55ghz which i did easy with my last mobo A8V REV2 , i believe its a voltage problem because everytime i try and select 1.6v = 1.625v overvolt , it hangs on post and even if i selected that voltage @ stock speeds it hangs on post , so are other having that problem ???

I will be changing to a opteron or x2 cpu when i can so i wouldnt need more than 1.6v then , got a screeny of what i am using at the mo .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom