Official DFI NF4Ultra-D/SLi owners thread.

NCC said:
How would I get the second pcie slot to run at full speed?

I cant install the graphics card in pcie 1 because the southbridge fan is in the way. :(
As Broken Hope advised you:
Broken Hope said:
It's okay in the 2nd slot as long as you move all the sli jumpers down to the bottom, this will make both slots use 8 PCIe lanes each.
Move the mobo into SLI mode for 8x/8x rather than 16x/2x...

Supposedly the 2nd slot gives you a few more 3dmark points...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Well it's currently in single VGA and I managed to get it slotted in PCIe 1. PCIe 2 I got a score of 6000, by putting it in slot 1, I got 6300. :)

If you dont mind - fancy putting it into the PCIe slot 2 and enabling SLI to spilt the lane into 8x and then try 3dmark again - so we can see if a) PCIe x2 is limiting already for GPUs and b) if PCIe slot 2 is indeed better than PCIe slot 1 for gfx cards...

I would but I dont have a working system ATM

Cheers

from what i've read it should work fine, but it'll run about 1% slower than in the 1st slot.

As long as you don't have an artic cooler on the x850 it'll fit fine, if you do, you might have to get a file out...

Well I've managed to put it in PCIe slot 1 and it's just touching the southbridge fan but it's fine :)

Quite happy with the board now :)

Broken Hope said:
Single drive requires no drivers so nope you won't need a floppy.

So it will detect it straight away (SATA)?

I suppose you only need drivers for the RAID?

I have the DFI ultra-D version, will that still be the same?

Cheers.

I have noticed when I turn on the power on the PSU, I have to wait like 10 seconds before I can switch on the power button on the front of the case. Is this normal?

PSU is an antec NeoPower 480W.

NCC said:

Cheers.

I'm running the Ultra-D myself with 2 single SATA hard drives that aren't in RAID and I don't load any drivers during install and it detects the hard drives just fine.

Woohoo, it worked, plonked my new VX ram in there and bang on it came :D

Now this is one hell of a bios!! A tinkermans dream.

Cant wait to get home and get a nice OC out of her.

Thanks for all the help, no doubt i'll be back soon...

Got everything up and running and with my 7800GTX i got.... 8003 in 3Dmark05!

People were getting 7800ish with a FX57 so i didnt expect 8k, as i have a 3800+. I do have a XFX 7800GTX which comes slightly overclocked but even so it's still higher than i expected.

One problem i have is that one of my DVD burners is not showing up, could i of connected the doube ended IDE cable that comes with the board the wrong way around? does it matter? and if so what way should it go?

Last edited:
MR.B said:
Got everything up and running and with my 7800GTX i got.... 8003 in 3Dmark05!

People were getting 7800ish with a FX57 so i didnt expect 8k, as i have a 3800+. I do have a XFX 7800GTX which comes slightly overclocked but even so it's still higher than i expected.

One problem i have is that one of my DVD burners is not showing up, could i of connected the doube ended IDE cable that comes with the board the wrong way around? does it matter? and if so what way should it go?
Have you set one of the DVD drives to slave and the other to master. Took me 2 weeks to figure this one out. It can only go in one way into the IDE port on the drive. I'm sure you have missed the jumpers on the back and this is what is causing the problem. Set the jumper on one drive to Master and the other to Slave OR set them both to Cable Select. Hope this helps,

Smids.

smids said:
Have you set one of the DVD drives to slave and the other to master. Took me 2 weeks to figure this one out. It can only go in one way into the IDE port on the drive. I'm sure you have missed the jumpers on the back and this is what is causing the problem. Set the jumper on one drive to Master and the other to Slave OR set them both to Cable Select. Hope this helps,

Smids.

The drive dont even show in the bios but i can open the drive bay and everything, so its working.
On my last board i connected the same way and they both worked. Also with the IDE cable that come with my last board it had a connector labeled Slave, and one Master, and the other labeled Motherboard... which made me think that it might matter what IDE cable goes in where... but with the DFI board the cable is not labeled at all..

Last edited:
Thanks for your help smids :) dont suppose you know what jumper would be the slave one? as i did not get any instructions with this DVD drive...

It should be on the sticker underneath or on top of the drive.

EDIT: I'll have a quick peek at mine and tell you how to set them. :)

EDIT2: Right, the top one (master) has the jumper set to the two pins closest to the IDE drive. The bottom one (slave) has the jumper on the middle pins. Hope this works for you.

Last edited:
I didn't for my Raptor but I'm not too sure. I think you only need the drivers if you are setting up a RAID config. I was installing WinXP SP2 and it just recognised it.

NCC said:
Do you need to load the SATA drivers for one SATA hard drive? Or will it detect it straight away?

Cheers.
I dno if you read the replies before:
NCC said:
Guys,

Do I need a floppy disk drive just to get a single SATA HDD working?
Broken Hope said:
Single drive requires no drivers so nope you won't need a floppy.
NCC said:

Cheers.
Broken Hope said:
I'm running the Ultra-D myself with 2 single SATA hard drives that aren't in RAID and I don't load any drivers during install and it detects the hard drives just fine.
But Broken Hope has answered your question before - jsut like the other one you posted ;)

Back
Top Bottom