Official DFI NF4Ultra-D/SLi owners thread.

kimandsally said:
I'm far from an expert on ram so I don't know what could be the cause of that, but my initial thought would be that it could be pushing the ram too far that could be why it works on such a low value poor performing T Ref value, it could be giving the ram the breathing space it needs to function, the problem is that there are so many adjustments that can be made and probably interact with each other it makes it very difficult.

If I were you I would lower the ram using a divider then play with one setting at a time and see what you can improve, I must say though before you rely too much on bandwidth settings do the above test, I spent a week doing it and covered every scenario and my results were ? I'll not tell you as if you do it and the same happens to you as me then we can do some head scratching, as I said I don't want to give you a hint but it should be very obvious whats happening after about 15 mins or so.

I'll try & give that a try sometime & see what results I get. Although when that will be I don't know. As I've about had enough at the moment of trying to squeeze more out of my system.

Jimbo Mahoney said:
YooEntSeenMeROYT - have you seen the various posts on here, XS and DFI Street regarding Tref?

I'm surprised 0016 was the most stable.

It is my belief that the commonly referred to table of values is incorrect and has been compiled from what various Windows programs interpret the Tref to be.

In actuality, what many people believe is true (including me) is the following:

e.g. @ 200 Mhz, one cycle is 5ns.

Ideally, the memory wants refreshing every 7.8us (generally speaking).

To get this 7.8us, you need to use the correct Tref value, which is 1560 cycles (1560 x 5 = 7800 ns = 7.8us).

Of course, there will always be exceptions...

If too low a Tref is used, the memory will be refreshed more often, leading to increased heat and stability problems, giving errors.

If too high a Tref is used, the memory won't be refreshed enough and risks losing data, again giving errors.

Another thing to try is swapping the sticks round. As you might imagine, one stick is probably slightly better than the other and it is known that the slot closer to the CPU will help the poorer stick keep up with the stronger one. (Trace lengths and signalling blah blah).

HTH?

I have seen those various posts mate.

Currently the most stability I've had with a Tref that doesn't slow performance down is Tref 3072. Managed to get Prime stable for just under 6 hours with that value. Interestingly I had to turn my voltage down from 2.7 to 2.6v to get better stability at 2.5,4,3,6
2.7v would give errors on Memtest for Windows.

I'll try your suggestions of 2064 & 2336 & see what I get. I don't know when that will be though. As I won't be able to get back in front of my PC for a few days.

However I think I did try those values before after reading your posts on the Xtreme forum & looking at that spreadsheet tool. However they may not have worked then due to using to high a voltage. As I've said above that my Gskill doesn't seem to like any voltage above 2.6v @ 280 FSB/HTT.

I may try upping my core voltage if Prime fails on a small sized FFT value (that fits in the CPU cache) as it#s only at 1.52v for 3079mhz at the moment

Cheers again for the suggestions guys.

YooEntSinMeROYT said:
I'll try & give that a try sometime & see what results I get. Although when that will be I don't know. As I've about had enough at the moment of trying to squeeze more out of my system.

I have seen those various posts mate.

Currently the most stability I've had with a Tref that doesn't slow performance down is Tref 3072. Managed to get Prime stable for just under 6 hours with that value. Interestingly I had to turn my voltage down from 2.7 to 2.6v to get better stability at 2.5,4,3,6
2.7v would give errors on Memtest for Windows.

I'll try your suggestions of 2064 & 2336 & see what I get. I don't know when that will be though. As I won't be able to get back in front of my PC for a few days.

However I think I did try those values before after reading your posts on the Xtreme forum & looking at that spreadsheet tool. However they may not have worked then due to using to high a voltage. As I've said above that my Gskill doesn't seem to like any voltage above 2.6v @ 280 FSB/HTT.

I may try upping my core voltage if Prime fails on a small sized FFT value (that fits in the CPU cache) as it#s only at 1.52v for 3079mhz at the moment

Cheers again for the suggestions guys.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57317&highlight=burn+tccd

worth a read mate but heres the bit focusses on SD core, might help.

SAN DIEGO Memory Tweaks

As now the Venice and Sandiego 90nm cores are fully available, these controllers are quiet different to the Newcastle/Clawhammer controllers.

There are changes in the bandwidth, the new cores especialy the Sandiego has a lower bandwidth then the older cores. How this happen is still unknown, soon some clear information will be released. The latency are still the same though.

I have tested a Sandiego 3700+ 1MB processor with memorymodules like PC4800 2.5-4-4-8 1T and PC4800 2.5-4-4-8 2T.

Definitely this core needs some more tweaking then a clawhammer core. My memorycontroller can be lacky but I post my experiences for those who have troubles getting their memory stable at STOCK clocks.

When you run DDR600 2.5-4-4-8 or 2.5-3-3-6 1T you can turn the Bank interleave modus to disable. This might improve the stability on some memorycontrollers.

Second, Decrease the DQS with value 128. This stabelize the Memtest86++ TEST 8 procedure which is more accurate then TEST5.
Please use TEST 8 for memory test procedures instead of TEST 5, plus the errors most of the time occures at 10% , 30% and 60-70% procedure.

Also make sure these settings are at:

- Drive strength 7
- Data strength AUTO or 2

NCC said:
Since getting my ultra-D board, I keep having to wait like 30 seconds before I can switch on my computer. Is this normal?

I have an Atec 480W NeoPower.

I have flashed the BIOS with the new 310. So far so good. I'll try the booting again when I finish work.

Cheers.

Upto 20 hours Prime stable now.
It failed on the 256k FFT length.
Does that fit in the on die cache?
or is that indicating that it is still the RAM that's failing?

Curious to know whether to try upping my core voltage a bit.

*edit*

here's a pic:
3079mhz-stable-for-20-hours.jpg

Last edited:
just got some 1GB (2x512mb) OCZ Reg'd ECC Low-Latency PC3200 and just dropped it into my ultra d,and now it wont post just beeps at me
I am running the 310 bios (2/9 according to cpuz)
I am hoping it is bios settings ,if it is could some one help me

My previous ram was giel 3200 value

many thanks

YooEntSinMeROYT said:
Upto 20 hours Prime stable now.
It failed on the 256k FFT length.
Does that fit in the on die cache?
or is that indicating that it is still the RAM that's failing?

Curious to know whether to try upping my core voltage a bit.

*edit*

here's a pic:
3079mhz-stable-for-20-hours.jpg

its a yes and maybe no because yes it still tests memory and rounding at 0.5 usually suggest memory at fault but no always.
solution is to tick large FTT test then tick custom,untick run FTTs in place, set memory to zero then tick runn FTTs in place. now start it up. this will set mem usage to its lowest possible amount.if it then fails at same point in test it aint the memory at fault.

Fluffy Bunny said:
just got some 1GB (2x512mb) OCZ Reg'd ECC Low-Latency PC3200 and just dropped it into my ultra d,and now it wont post just beeps at me
I am running the 310 bios (2/9 according to cpuz)
I am hoping it is bios settings ,if it is could some one help me

My previous ram was giel 3200 value

many thanks
hi all will ecc mem work with skt 939 ? i didnt think it would

I had bought 2 Arctic coolers for my 7800's with a DFI SLI-DR, was a little dissapointed there was only enough room to put 1 arctic cooler on, and more dissapointed to see that that took up too much room to use the only other available PCI slot on the motherboard. The fan on the arctic was touching the card (my sound) under it so it wouldn't turn. :( Kinda wished I've gone for the Abit

Erm were Abit gonna make you a special mobo? - from what Ive seen on their mobos their PCie setup is identical for their SLI models and so you would have had exactly the same issue - as I advised you in another thread the Asus SLI is the only mobo that will fit 2slot coolers in SLI configuration comfortably...

Perhaps some further research before purchase ;)

ps3ud0 :cool:

Hi all, first post here.

Got a K8n Neo2 Plat board from OCUK a couple of months ago - last night, the system suddenly went dead mid-use and now will not reboot or respond to anything else at all. The only sign of life is the front panel power lamp flashing on and off.

Thinking this indicated sleep mode, I tried to coax it out by and resetting CMOS via trhe jumper but to no avail. I've also ruled out the PSU (my PSU works on another machine, and the one from that makes no difference in mine).

Given that the system is completely unresponsive other than the lamp (the indicator lamps on the rear USB bracket don't light either, so I assume the booting process never actually gets off the ground), I can't think what else to try. So do you reckon I'm looking at a defective motherboard here?

Any help appreciated!

Steve

PS BIOS succesfully flashed to latest version approx four weeks ago. Not in front of machine right now so I do not have rest of specs to hand but will seek out and post them if considered relevent.

Steve A said:
Hi all, first post here.

Got a K8n Neo2 Plat board from OCUK a couple of months ago - last night, the system suddenly went dead mid-use and now will not reboot or respond to anything else at all. The only sign of life is the front panel power lamp flashing on and off.

Thinking this indicated sleep mode, I tried to coax it out by and resetting CMOS via trhe jumper but to no avail. I've also ruled out the PSU (my PSU works on another machine, and the one from that makes no difference in mine).

Given that the system is completely unresponsive other than the lamp (the indicator lamps on the rear USB bracket don't light either, so I assume the booting process never actually gets off the ground), I can't think what else to try. So do you reckon I'm looking at a defective motherboard here?

Any help appreciated!

Steve

PS BIOS succesfully flashed to latest version approx four weeks ago. Not in front of machine right now so I do not have rest of specs to hand but will seek out and post them if considered relevent.

The only thing that springs to mind has anything caused a short on anything? I can't help but think the mobo might have given in though.

ps3ud0 said:
Erm were Abit gonna make you a special mobo? - from what Ive seen on their mobos their PCie setup is identical for their SLI models and so you would have had exactly the same issue - as I advised you in another thread the Asus SLI is the only mobo that will fit 2slot coolers in SLI configuration comfortably...

Perhaps some further research before purchase ;)

<Begs forgivness for saying abit instead of Asus> :o

I expect a Waynes World type idol worship at 6am every seventh day of the month...

Whats the date tomorrow? :p - Soz mate was in a crap mood that day and wasnt taking any prisoners...

Back
Top Bottom