Official DFI NF4Ultra-D/SLi owners thread.

NCC said:
Since getting my ultra-D board, I keep having to wait like 30 seconds before I can switch on my computer. Is this normal?

I have an Atec 480W NeoPower.

OK, well I've flashed the BIOS and during the 30 seconds, the power light comes on. When it turns off, then I am able to turn on the machine.

Is there a problem or is this common? :S

Sounds like a power issue as mine is instant - havent got an alternative PSU to test it on? Ive heard so-so things from the Neopower, but I cant remember the specifics...

You havent got a large array of HDs or anything - as they would require a lot of power to startup - but then again wouldnt cause a 30sec delay...

ps3ud0 :cool:

It worked with my Epox board. System stability is fine and I've had no problems at all. I've tried using the onboard power buttons and that makes no difference.

As for HDD, I only have 2 and 1 DVD-RW drive.

I do however have a molex cable connected into the motherboard.

Last edited:
I would try it with all 4 mobo power connectors connected with a barebone setup just to boot up to minimise power requirements - if it still has the same issue it could be a duff mobo (power regulation or something - Im not that technical) - gonna be difficult to nail down...

You tried DFI street? - might have more DFI NF4+Neopower users...

Probably makes some sense if youre having possible power issues - mainly used for stability and SLI setups IIRC - if you have the spare power connectors, be mad not to connect them to minimise issues...

OK, I'll put that socket in. Do I have to connect the convertor to a standard moxlex connector so I can get the FDD connector?

PSU -> Moxel -> FDD Convertor -> Motherboard. Will that be fine?

NCC said:
OK, well I've flashed the BIOS and during the 30 seconds, the power light comes on. When it turns off, then I am able to turn on the machine.

Is there a problem or is this common? :S

I have had this before it was down to a capacitor in the PSU breaking down so losing it's charge when it has replenished it after waiting like you say it then powered up, could be the same by the sound of it.

kimandsally said:
I have had this before it was down to a capacitor in the PSU breaking down so losing it's charge when it has replenished it after waiting like you say it then powered up, could be the same by the sound of it.

So why didn't it do it with the EPOX motherboard he had?

quick Q re the SLI-d board.
this board has 2xsets of 4 SATA ports. how limited are your options tho? i mean i want to have a raptor as a boot disk, so obviously thats 1 port down. i also want 4x250gig drives in a raid 0 array. with the 3 left, can i have those raided - or am i limited because one with be left as a single drive (raptor).

ideally i would like to have raptor as a c drive, 4drives raided as a d drive and 3 raided as an e drive.

can anyone help?

No, you would be fine having 2 arrays as youve advised - tho you need the SLI-DR not the SLI-D for the 8 SATA ports (4 SATA 2 capable of RAID 0/1/0+1; 4 SATA 1 capable of RAID 0/1/0+1/5 IIRC)...

If you are considering that many drives or its important stuff, I would consider at least some fault tolerance and perhaps even a decent RAID controller card (with a CPU)...

I doubt you need a Raptor as a RAID 0 7200RPM array would be just as fast...

Do you mind if I ask why you need so much space?

tomos said:
quick Q re the SLI-d board.
this board has 2xsets of 4 SATA ports. how limited are your options tho? i mean i want to have a raptor as a boot disk, so obviously thats 1 port down. i also want 4x250gig drives in a raid 0 array. with the 3 left, can i have those raided - or am i limited because one with be left as a single drive (raptor).

ideally i would like to have raptor as a c drive, 4drives raided as a d drive and 3 raided as an e drive.

can anyone help?

Why not get fewer bigger drives, say 2x400gb?

Also, as said it's the SLI-DR with the 8 ports, not the SLI-D.

basically tho - i dont want to boot off a raid 0 since i do that now and have had to reghost after recreating the array with a crash etc. just having a raptor boot drive stops that :)

i've checked prices and its just cheaper to get the 250 gig maxtor drives. they're the ones @ the sweetspot mark now. and 4 in a raid array with 16mb cache should be sweet :D

i dont need any fault tolerance since i dont plan to have anything imortant on the raids, just storage of stuff i have on dvd anyway since part of what it will be is a HCPC so a ton of movies etc on there - especially high def TS files. also some video editing and 2 seperate raid arrays would be good for that

thanks for the advice tho ps3ud0 and Aruffell :)

tomos said:
basically tho - i dont want to boot off a raid 0 since i do that now and have had to reghost after recreating the array with a crash etc. just having a raptor boot drive stops that :)

i've checked prices and its just cheaper to get the 250 gig maxtor drives. they're the ones @ the sweetspot mark now. and 4 in a raid array with 16mb cache should be sweet :D

i dont need any fault tolerance since i dont plan to have anything imortant on the raids, just storage of stuff i have on dvd anyway since part of what it will be is a HCPC so a ton of movies etc on there - especially high def TS files. also some video editing and 2 seperate raid arrays would be good for that

thanks for the advice tho ps3ud0 and Aruffell :)

Just a bit of additional info as it looks as if your planning on using the Silicon Image RAID controller also.

If your planning on overclocking, it seems that the Silicon Image RAID controller is more prone to corrupting your hard drives than the nVidia RAID controller.

I managed to corrupt my RAID 0 array on the SI controller after only one day of messing around overclocking.

Since moving to the nVidia controller I've been messing about with overclocking settings for weeks & have had no adverse effects.

If your not planning on overclocking then obviously ignore ;)

YooEntSinMeROYT said:
Just a bit of additional info as it looks as if your planning on using the Silicon Image RAID controller also.

If your planning on overclocking, it seems that the Silicon Image RAID controller is more prone to corrupting your hard drives than the nVidia RAID controller.

I managed to corrupt my RAID 0 array on the SI controller after only one day of messing around overclocking.

Since moving to the nVidia controller I've been messing about with overclocking settings for weeks & have had no adverse effects.

If your not planning on overclocking then obviously ignore ;)

hmm, ta for the warning. in that case, i'd have to have my raptor as a standalone drive and 3 other drives in a raid 0 on the nvidia sata ports.

if i cant really use the SI sata ports on this board and i dont need SLI, then i might as well get a ultra-d board right? they are the same apart from those diffs afaik.

i can get a sata pci card then when i want to add another 1tb array i guess :)

tomos said:
hmm, ta for the warning. in that case, i'd have to have my raptor as a standalone drive and 3 other drives in a raid 0 on the nvidia sata ports.

if i cant really use the SI sata ports on this board and i dont need SLI, then i might as well get a ultra-d board right? they are the same apart from those diffs afaik.

i can get a sata pci card then when i want to add another 1tb array i guess :)

I'm not saying don't use the SI ports mate. As my problem might have just been an isolated incident. As I have not seen this problem widely reported. Just sharing my experiences. If it's not vital data on the SI array, ie. dvd images, I don't see a problem in you using SI controller. As you just re-format it if you corrupt it. It's just like you say, probably best not to run a boot drive off it.

YooEntSinMeROYT said:
I'm not saying don't use the SI ports mate. As my problem might have just been an isolated incident. As I have not seen this problem widely reported. Just sharing my experiences. If it's not vital data on the SI array, ie. dvd images, I don't see a problem in you using SI controller. As you just re-format it if you corrupt it. It's just like you say, probably best not to run a boot drive off it.

i know mate, but it's a possibility that i may have the same prob and since the cost diff is £40 from the ultra-d and sli-dr, i could get a 4port sata pci card for that. :)

Back
Top Bottom