Official DFI NF4Ultra-D/SLi owners thread.

Alex R said:
1. that the colour of the slots doesn't make any difference.

if you can get it to boot yes theres not much difference (some people like me cant actually run tccd in the yellow slots), bear in mind yellow slots will force 2t command with optimal defaults.

Alex R said:
2. that dividers don't make any difference either. You can run your memory on 1:1 or divided, benchmarks show very little difference. Basically, what is important is the mghz of the CPU.

noticeable only in benchmarks, these 64 bits are streets a head with memory bandwidth even when running ddr333 compared to the old xp athlons.

Alex R said:
3. again, that 1t - 2t has minimal impact on benchmarks and real life applications. Somthing like 1-3%

yup, but we still like running optimal performance, and I know AG does to :)

I still think theres more in it, keep tweaking m8!!

bigwhoppa said:
im using the SI-120 the next one up from the XP-120.

you can fit them either way so dont worry.

afaik coolers with real heat pipes (liquid to gas (and back) phase change) work best with the heat source at the bottom below the fins, allowing the the vapour to rise up through the pipe more effectively, and then when the vapour has condensed it will run back down the wick structure inside the pipe.
I'm not sure if its yet another overclocking marketing gimmick where coolers dont actually use functioning heat pipes but either way heat rises so keep the heat source at the bottom.

Last edited:
bigwhoppa said:
for anyone interested i just fitted a Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler on my board.

temps have came down as has the noise.

in order to do this you have to move your card to the lower slot i didnt find any performance drops doing this.

picture66036medium2dw.jpg

You can still use the normal slot if you mod the cooler slightly. I have read that it does make a difference in performance VERY slightly.

Hi guys quick question for ya's!

When i shut my PC down it doesnt turn itself off (gives me the "you are now safe to switch off etc etc")

Cant seem to find what bios setting enables it to auto-power off??

Cheers guys.

From memory, it probably means that ACPI isnt installed correctly. As Smids saids this determines how Windows reacts with your PC/Monitor for power managment tasks (like Shutdown, Suspends, Hibernates...).

One way to check is to go into Device Manager - then open 'Computer' - there should be a reference to ACPI (ACPI Uniprocessor PC driver - default one from M$), if there isnt just reply with what you see...

The only problem is that the only way I know how to fix this is a proper reinstall, since its an integral part in how Windows communicates with the hardware - you can probably change it without reinstall, but personally I wouldnt recommend it...

HTH

P.S. I swear I replied to this yesterday @ work :? - must be the crap PCs here...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Chaosboss said:
:( some1 must know???

Hi, if you go into device manager then go view - show hidden devices then legacy will appear on the list click enable and that will sort it for you.

As has been said before the HAL has somehow installed wrong it will probably show ordinary computer or something when it should be ACPI uniprocessor, that is a workaround for it and will save any reinstall and cause no issue's. :)

Alright checked bios ACPI is disabled, ACPI Suspend is S1(POS)

Couldn't find 'Legacy'...under conputer however it shows 'MPS Multiprocessor PC'.

Shall i enable ACPI? (will this mean i have to re-install windows), which i dont mind re-installing windows if i have to to be honest.

Chaosboss said:
Alright checked bios ACPI is disabled, ACPI Suspend is S1(POS)

Couldn't find 'Legacy'...under conputer however it shows 'MPS Multiprocessor PC'.

Shall i enable ACPI? (will this mean i have to re-install windows), which i dont mind re-installing windows if i have to to be honest.

To be able to see legacy you have to go to -view- at the top of the screen then enable hidden devices then legacy will show (it's in the device list which is in alphabetical order) then enable it and your done. :)

Probably why XP didnt pick up the fact your mobo supports ACPI - up to you how you proceed, either do what kimandsally advised, which is the quicker solution (though Im unsure if it will still let you Suspend/Hibernate without ACPI support) and I doubt you will notice any differences to proper ACPI.

Or enable in BIOS and hope that XP picks it up (cant see why it cant when you can setup dual core CPUs on the same OS install without reinstall) - if it doesnt you can always reinstall...

GL either way

Chaosboss said:

If you just go into device manager and the normal list not system devices when you enable hidden objects it should then appear, it doesn't work on my pc because ACPI is enabled it only shows as far as I know when ACPI is not enabled.

I had this problem it literally drove me mad until I found the answer, it should appear in the device manager list below keyboard and above mouse.

If this doesn't work then the only way I know to force it is by pressing F5 when installing windows then selecting uniprocessor ACPI or multi for X2 chips.

Hope this helps. :)

Can anyone tell me where on the board the header is for an external serial port i cant seem to find it anywhere on the board? :confused:

Thanks

HELP!!!

I think I may have fried my PC.

I have a DFI with an opteron 146 on it. Yesterday I got an early XMas prezzie of 1gb of Geil UltraX 4400 TCCD. I put it in and took it up to 250x10 and all was well. I then upped it to 270x10, but I also upped the memory volts to 2.8. When I booted it all went well till the Windows screen which quickly flipped into a flash of a dark blue screen with some white text on it. This last less than a second (I can't see what it says), the PC then reboots and goes on to a "Windows didn't boot properly" and I get the choice to boot in "Normal", "Safe", etc... I can't select any of these and have to wait through the 30 seconds countdown. After this it goes through the whole Windows screen - blue screen - reboot sequence ad nauseam.

I put everything back to stock - FSB, volts etc.. But am still unable to boot into Windows. I have also taken all the memory out and put 1 stick of my old memory back into the top (yellow) slot.

Any ideas? Should I reset the CMOS? Not sure what that entails.

Any suggestions will be more than welcome.

(not sure whether to leave this thread here or put it in the general hardware section for most results)

J273 said:
Can anyone tell me where on the board the header is for an external serial port i cant seem to find it anywhere on the board? :confused:

Thanks
Looking at it if it installed in a normal ATX tower - Its below the PCI slot next to the Diag LEDs...

Check out DFIs online manual for more info...

Tell me if you find a compatible serial port connector as I wouldnt mind getting one to connect my MO LCD to...

When you booted at 270mhz, you did adjust the memory timings before booting didn't you (i.e. you know about memory timings, yes?)? If not, leaving the memory timings on auto can mean that the RAM will not be able to boot at the desired frequency. What happened when you booted at that frequency was the RAM couldn't cope (through either the timings, or the fact that the RAM is faulty). It forced a reset, but I believe the looping is caused by Windows being corrupted when this all occured. I question though, what BIOS are you running? You need to be running 310 or later (march 10th 2005 BIOS or later) to run TCCD RAM.

Reset the CMOS first - see your manual for this. It's a little jumper that needs to be placed in a certain position and then replaced back to the default position. It is near the bottom right of the board (a red jumper).

I assume that you have a USB keyboard, this being the reason you cannot select an option. You need to go into BIOS > Integrated Peripherals (I think) and turn on USB keyboard and USB mouse support. Then, pop in your Windows CD and go into the Recovery console by pressing R at the main screen. You will need to then select which windows installation you require - usually '1' > 'ENTER'. Then it will ask for an administrator password. If you have never been asked before to set an administrator password, just press enter, or if you have set it, type it here (this is not your main logon password if you have one, this is specifically for the hidden account entitled 'Administrator'. Once in, type 'chkdsk /p /r' without the quotation marks. Let this run and try to boot up normally again.

Back
Top Bottom