Official DFI NF4Ultra-D/SLi owners thread.

I have a DFI Lanparty ULtra-D that i'm currently building with an Opteron 146.
I've fitted my new XFX 7800GT PCI-E GFX card to the PCI-E 1 slot on the mobo, i presume this is correct cus when in place its very very close (a mm or 2) to the chipset heatsink/fan!! Is this normal?!
Also what BIOS should i look at getting and what version will it probably come with, would this be ok?

InQ said:
I have a DFI Lanparty ULtra-D that i'm currently building with an Opteron 146.
I've fitted my new XFX 7800GT PCI-E GFX card to the PCI-E 1 slot on the mobo, i presume this is correct cus when in place its very very close (a mm or 2) to the chipset heatsink/fan!! Is this normal?!
Also what BIOS should i look at getting and what version will it probably come with, would this be ok?

Tis normal that the chipset fan is very very close to fowling any PCI-e card. Poor design really.
As for a good BIOS to use with Opterons, I would like to know this myself. Also, a good BIOS to use with Crucial Ballistix RAM.

Hesky82 said:
edit: just to note all 4 power connections are pluged in(extra fdd/hdd power), not that I know if this is completely necessary with a non sli setup.

it helps with stability.

what power supply are you using, as some have incompatibility issues.

I have a bizarre problem with DFI Ultra-D motherboard.

I have heard of this before and was wondering if anyone else has had this and knows of a solution.

When I put a motherboard screw in the top left most position/standoff right near to the PS2 port, the mouse and keyboard ports do not function at all and none of the USB ones do either. Its as if there is a short there when I put a screw in. So I am forced to not use a screw there. Its really bizarre. I have def set it up correctly and narrowed it down to this one screw. All the other standoffs and screws I use are fine.

Any help much appreciated.

sniper007 said:
I have a bizarre problem with DFI Ultra-D motherboard.

I have heard of this before and was wondering if anyone else has had this and knows of a solution.

When I put a motherboard screw in the top left most position/standoff right near to the PS2 port, the mouse and keyboard ports do not function at all and none of the USB ones do either. Its as if there is a short there when I put a screw in. So I am forced to not use a screw there. Its really bizarre. I have def set it up correctly and narrowed it down to this one screw. All the other standoffs and screws I use are fine.

Any help much appreciated.

The board could have a dry solder joint or a short like you think it might be, I think I would RMA in this case.

IzaLearnin said:
You really need to do some reading 1st to be safe. You don't want to fry your kit now do you!

See here http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28049

and http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=138583

If you get stuck after reading up come back and ask specific questions and people will be happy to help. There are many guides out there for beginners. We all have to learn.

Well ive had a read ad have set the following (OPTERON 144)

CPU /FSB = X9

FSB / BUS FREQ = 270

Which = 2.43ghz

But i can only set the dram frequency t0 100mhz 1/02 ratio

and cant get the default 200mhz 1/01 which i was running at stock

Is this normal or not or am i missing somthing :confused:

My rams ocukvalue DDR 400 cl3 pc3200

Thanks

I wouldn't expect your ram to run 1:1 at 270 fsb you should aim to start with your ram running at its rated speed of 200mhz. With the dfi the dividers you need are either the 6/5 which would give 270/6 x 5 = 225mhz (which may still be too high for your ram) or 4/3 giving 270/4 x 3 = 202.5mhz. You shouldn't need to drop to the 2/1 divider at only 135mhz.

Your ram is rated for up to 2.85volts what is your current voltage setting in bios?

The default setting is 2.6 volts - my ram will not even boot into windows at this setting, it needs 2.8volts to run at 200mhz and 2.9v wen approaching their max speed of 255mhz.

Last edited:
nO}{8 said:
it helps with stability.

what power supply are you using, as some have incompatibility issues.

yeah I guess the extra power connections are there to support an extra gfx card and other current hungry components. I'm running an antec neopower psu with a 33A 12v rail (18A+15A), what sort of incompatibilities do you mean? quite curious.
I tried another gfx card in both pcie slots and even an old pci vga card, but with the pci card it started to randomly beep after power up which it did not do b4, still stuck on the 3 red leds though, so no luck yet.

Ive been googling my problem and I seem to find an alarming amount of people with the same problem (stuck on 3 reds) I know the ultra d is popular but the amount of people that have had doa boards is just insane! most of which are AA0 and AB0 revisions, some people are on there 3rd or even 5th mb, and most the time the issues seems seldom to the ultra-d not any of the sli ready boards.
things aint lookin to good for the mb :(

IzaLearnin said:
I wouldn't expect your ram to run 1:1 at 270 fsb you should aim to start with your ram running at its rated speed of 200mhz. With the dfi the dividers you need are either the 6/5 which would give 270/6 x 5 = 225mhz (which may still be too high for your ram) or 4/3 giving 270/4 x 3 = 202.5mhz. You shouldn't need to drop to the 2/1 divider at only 135mhz.

Your ram is rated for up to 2.85volts what is your current voltage setting in bios?

The default setting is 2.6 volts - my ram will not even boot into windows at this setting, it needs 2.8volts to run at 200mhz and 2.9v wen approaching their max speed of 255mhz.

Ok , ive just checked and ive been running my ram on 2.9mhz for a while now from some bios settings that was recommended from dfistreet?

So by the dividers do you mean....Lowering the multiply and upping the frequency? :confused: sorry a bit new to all this :rolleyes:

I tried running the frequency at just 210 and then setting the dram frequency at 200 and using x9cpu/fsb but cant even get into windows at all it just keeps looping restart.

id like to get to say 2.3 to 2.4 ghz if possible,would this be possible with the ram ive got do you think?

Thanks

J273 said:
Ok , ive just checked and ive been running my ram on 2.9mhz for a while now from some bios settings that was recommended from dfistreet?

So by the dividers do you mean....Lowering the multiply and upping the frequency? :confused: sorry a bit new to all this :rolleyes:

I tried running the frequency at just 210 and then setting the dram frequency at 200 and using x9cpu/fsb but cant even get into windows at all it just keeps looping restart.

id like to get to say 2.3 to 2.4 ghz if possible,would this be possible with the ram ive got do you think?

Thanks

I can't see any reason why your ram should hold you back from running your Opteron at 2400mhz as long as you use a divider to keep your ram speed close to 200mhz.

When you say you are running your ram at 2.9mhz do you mean 2.9 volts? Overvolting can give similar problems to undervolting.

What bios version are you running?

Have you had your computer running at stock settings yet?

If you can answer the above I will suggest some settings for you to try.

IzaLearnin said:
I can't see any reason why your ram should hold you back from running your Opteron at 2400mhz as long as you use a divider to keep your ram speed close to 200mhz.

When you say you are running your ram at 2.9mhz do you mean 2.9 volts? Overvolting can give similar problems to undervolting.

What bios version are you running?

Have you had your computer running at stock settings yet?

If you can answer the above I will suggest some settings for you to try.

Ok cheers

Im using 62/3 bios

The ram at 2.9 volts

Yes ive been runningat stock for a while using a 3000 winchester but i got hold of a opteron and have been running that at stock for a while but heard mine was a good clocker and thought id might be able to squeeeze a bit more out of it.

I f possible would you also tell me how to use a divider with the ram where is this setting located in the bios?

Thanks a lot

and another thing u may be able to help me out with .....Ive got at the minute 1gb of ram in the orange slots running dual channel.I just bought another 512mb of ram and was told if i was to use this i would have to put 2 sticks in the yellow slots and 1 in the orange and with doing this id loose dual channel.

Would you say its best to keep to my 1gig using the dual channel and sell the other stick or put in my 3rd stick making me have 1.5gb ram but loosing the dual channel?

What would i gain better from the dual channel using 1gb

or 1.5gb of ram not dual channel?

Thanks

OK bit of waffle so bare with me..!

Just been testing that my new build (DFI LP ultra-d, Opteron 146, Zalman CNPS9500 HSF, XFX 7800GTEE, 1x 512mb Corsair XMS3200C2LLv2.2 in Antec Sonata II case/PSU) would power up before i take the plunge and fully install the rest of the bits from my old P4 setup so i had just the mobo, GFX card, 1 stick RAM, CPU and PS/2 KB connected up.

All went seemingly well on first power up (after first removing BIOS battery for 5 mins and resetting CMOS jumper) until i noticed the CPU's fan wasnt spinning! :rolleyes:
I was in the PC health staus part of the BIOS and noticed my CPU fan speed was flicking between zero and 9000rpm! As the Zalman CNPS9500 is connected to the fan header via a manual speed controller i tweaked this and it started but was acting a bit odd (turn it down a little bit and it'd stop completely etc etc).
So i changed the CPUFan Fully on if CPUTemp > 50c to 25c saved and rebooted and it now seems ok, CPU fan speed is reported normally and changes as i change the fan speed via the manual controller. All this time the CPU temp in the BIOS wasnt going above 40c no matter what speed the fan was working at (full or not at all! :D ).

So now at a fan speed i like ie low rpm & quiet! the CPU temp is at ~33c in BIOS, does this sound like a normal temp for a stock Opteron 146?

Can i turn off these 'turn fan off at x temp' type options for the CPU, NB, PMW completely somewhere?
(I have Cool'n'Quiet disabled).

J273 said:
Ok cheers

Im using 62/3 bios

The ram at 2.9 volts

Yes ive been runningat stock for a while using a 3000 winchester but i got hold of a opteron and have been running that at stock for a while but heard mine was a good clocker and thought id might be able to squeeeze a bit more out of it.

I f possible would you also tell me how to use a divider with the ram where is this setting located in the bios?

Thanks a lot
For 2 x 512mb sticks in orange slots. It may take a couple of boot cycles to get into windows when you try at first.

Genie bios settings to try:-
fsb - 270
ldt ratio - x3.0
ldt width - 16 16
cpu/fsb - x9
pci exp - 100mhz
cool n quiet - disable
cpu startup - 1.425v
cpu vid control - 1.425
cpu special control - auto
ldt voltage - 1.3v
chipset voltage - 1.5v
dram voltage - 2.8v

dram config:-
dram freq set (divider's) - 140=ram/fsb:07/10
cpc - enable
put all other settings in this page to auto to try at first, you can tweak later if successful.

Post back with results!

I have not tried to run 3 sticks of ram so i'm not sure of this question other than to say you will lose dual channel and you will have to run at 2t (command per clock) which is slower than 1t. The extra ram may help negate some of this though. I can only suggest running a game with "fraps" enabled with both setups and compare the frames per second achieved.

InQ said:
OK bit of waffle so bare with me..!

Just been testing that my new build (DFI LP ultra-d, Opteron 146, Zalman CNPS9500 HSF, XFX 7800GTEE, 1x 512mb Corsair XMS3200C2LLv2.2 in Antec Sonata II case/PSU) would power up before i take the plunge and fully install the rest of the bits from my old P4 setup so i had just the mobo, GFX card, 1 stick RAM, CPU and PS/2 KB connected up.

All went seemingly well on first power up (after first removing BIOS battery for 5 mins and resetting CMOS jumper) until i noticed the CPU's fan wasnt spinning! :rolleyes:
I was in the PC health staus part of the BIOS and noticed my CPU fan speed was flicking between zero and 9000rpm! As the Zalman CNPS9500 is connected to the fan header via a manual speed controller i tweaked this and it started but was acting a bit odd (turn it down a little bit and it'd stop completely etc etc).
So i changed the CPUFan Fully on if CPUTemp > 50c to 25c saved and rebooted and it now seems ok, CPU fan speed is reported normally and changes as i change the fan speed via the manual controller. All this time the CPU temp in the BIOS wasnt going above 40c no matter what speed the fan was working at (full or not at all! :D ).

So now at a fan speed i like ie low rpm & quiet! the CPU temp is at ~33c in BIOS, does this sound like a normal temp for a stock Opteron 146?

Can i turn off these 'turn fan off at x temp' type options for the CPU, NB, PMW completely somewhere?
(I have Cool'n'Quiet disabled).

Have you installed "ITE Smartguardian" from the dfi cd rom? This programme monitors temps and controls fan speed settings.

Opteron temp looks about right compared to mine. Make sure you keep the cpu fan manual control high enough to prevent it from stopping. I really don't like the sound of that :eek:

IzaLearnin said:
For 2 x 512mb sticks in orange slots. It may take a couple of boot cycles to get into windows when you try at first.

fsb - 270
ldt ratio - x3.0
ldt width - 16 16
cpu/fsb - x9
pci exp - 100mhz
cool n quiet - disable
cpu startup - 1.425v
cpu vid control - 1.425
ldt voltage - 1.3v
chipset voltage - 1.5v
dram voltage - 2.8v

cpc - enable
put all other settings in this page to auto to try at first, you can tweak later if successful.

Post back with results!

I have not tried to run 3 sticks of ram so i'm not sure of this question other than to say you will lose dual channel and you will have to run at 2t (command per clock) which is slower than 1t. The extra ram may help negate some of this though. I can only suggest running a game with "fraps" enabled with both setups and compare the frames per second achieved.

Brilliant thanks a lot mate,Ill have a go in a minute and post back.

Thanks again

IzaLearnin said:
Have you installed "ITE Smartguardian" from the dfi cd rom? This programme monitors temps and controls fan speed settings.

Opteron temp looks about right compared to mine. Make sure you keep the cpu fan manual control high enough to prevent it from stopping. I really don't like the sound of that :eek:

I havent installed anything yet cus i dont have any HDD in the case! :D
I was just making sure the new setup powered up before i go on holiday for a week, i'll get it fully up and running between xmas and new year.
I'll try the ITE Smartguardian though.

Since i changed that setting (CPUFan Fully on if CPUTemp > 50c) to 25c it seemed fine, i'm guessing the mobo wasnt supplying the full amount of juice to the CPU fan until I changed it to 25c and with the manual controller connected it was acting a bit odd (probably was only getting a volt or 2 on the low setting on the manual controller).

Hi, newb here! I've got an opty 146 (CABNE 0545) which I have overclocked to 2400 using the following settings (found them here - thanks IzaLearnin)

fsb - 270
ldt ratio - x3.0
ldt width - 16 16
cpu/fsb - x9
pci exp - 100mhz
cool n quiet - disable
cpu startup - 1.425v
cpu vid control - 1.425
ldt voltage - 1.3v
chipset voltage - 1.5v
dram voltage - 2.8v

cpc - enable
everything else on auto

Now, obviously I'd like to take it further but I really am not to sure I know what I am doing. Right now it won't go further. What should I change?

My memory is 1gig of 3200 Crucial value, is this where the problem is? Would better memory help? I was thinking of 2x512 of Geil Ultra X 4400 as sold by OCUK.

Cheers,

Alex

Back
Top Bottom