Official DFI NF4Ultra-D/SLi owners thread.

Well, today was a very very interesting and stressful day!

Thought I would flash to the latest offical BIOS, did and it worked, however after a BIOS clear it got stuck at the logo page, a few hours later, after removing a stick of mem I got it to boot.

I started with the timings shown of my ZX on the XS forums, 2-3-2-5-7-12, 2.6V

My previous stable clocks were 249x10 - 1.536V , 2.5-3-3-7-9-14 @ 226Mhz @ 2.9V

210x10, 1.4V, 2-3-2-5-7-12 2.6V, 200% windows memtest = fine.
220x10, 1.5V, 2-3-2-5-7-12 2.7V, 200% windows memtest = fine.
230x10, 1.5V, 2-3-2-5-7-12 2.9V, windows would not boot.
250x10 1.536V, 2.5-3-2-5-7-12 2.9V @ 227Mhz, 1000% windows memtest = fine.

The latest offical F.T.W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Im quite sure I can do 250 @ 3-3-2-5-7-12, but my mem controller fecks out, carp X2 :(

Conc

Is 69c dangerous for chipset temperature?

Thats how high mine sometimes gets. The fan on the chipset got stupidly noisey and when i looked at the temp it was 75c :eek:
Now i've unplugged the fan power connector, but fan is still on the board, and i have a 120mm fan blowing on it and it gets as high as 69c. Is that safe?

MR.B said:

Thats how high mine sometimes gets. The fan on the chipset got stupidly noisey and when i looked at the temp it was 75c :eek:
Now i've unplugged the fan power connector, but fan is still on the board, and i have a 120mm fan blowing on it and it gets as high as 69c. Is that safe?
69C is high, there is prolly no danger as it will give instability before breaking.

Maybe you touched the heatsink and it's not mounted correctly anymore, or has it been hot from the beginning?

Dutch Guy said:
69C is high, there is prolly no danger as it will give instability before breaking.

Maybe you touched the heatsink and it's not mounted correctly anymore, or has it been hot from the beginning?
Yep, I think the chipset is only rated to about 80C - don't quote me on that though.

Dutch Guy said:

Well i took the heatsink/fan off once, and it had some kind of sticky thermal stuff on the bottom but it got damaged so i took that off. Ever since then it's been high, even though i've put thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink. But everythings running fine.

By the way what is the option in this boards BIOS to change the hypertransport speed? is it "LDT/FSB frequency ratio"?? Should i set it to 4x if i turn the FSB up past 220mhz?

MR.B said:

Your 120mm fan idea is sound but will only work if you replace the std chipset fan with something like the Zalman passive heatsink. Many of us on here have done this and have a fan directed at the Zalman, my nf4 temps when gaming only get to 43c. I have a fan in the case side pointing at my Zalman. The fan is connected to the chipset fan header and the speed controlled with Smartguardian so is silent when browsing etc and only becomes audible when gaming, of course I don't hear it above the sound of the game.

MR.B said:
Well i took the heatsink/fan off once, and it had some kind of sticky thermal stuff on the bottom but it got damaged so i took that off. Ever since then it's been high, even though i've put thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink. But everythings running fine.

By the way what is the option in this boards BIOS to change the hypertransport speed? is it "LDT/FSB frequency ratio"?? Should i set it to 4x if i turn the FSB up past 220mhz?
Yes 4x up to 250mhz and 3x above that. The aim is to keep the bus speed at or under 1000mhz.

IzaLearnin said:
Your 120mm fan idea is sound but will only work if you replace the std chipset fan with something like the Zalman passive heatsink. Many of us on here have done this and have a fan directed at the Zalman, my nf4 temps when gaming only get to 43c. I have a fan in the case side pointing at my Zalman. The fan is connected to the chipset fan header and the speed controlled with Smartguardian so is silent when browsing etc and only becomes audible when gaming, of course I don't hear it above the sound of the game.

I have a Zalman...
zalman.jpg

...as you can see i've had to cut quite a few fins off to make it fit because of the stupid place the chipset is located on this board, the graphics card goes right over it.
Do you think i'd still get better cooling with the Zalman and a 120mm fan blowing on it?
I've put it on before but didnt think of the idea then of having my 120mm fan blowing on it, so it got kinda hot and i took it off.

Now i've lost the plastic push pin thingies to connect the Zalman to the board.. any idea where i can get more?

Cheers for the help guys :D

Savage! :eek:

Could you not have just bent some of them out of the way?

You may be able to use the pins from the std fan if you are careful removing them. I think it will still cool better than the broken stock fan.

IzaLearnin said:
Savage! :eek:

Could you not have just bent some of them out of the way?

You may be able to use the pins from the std fan if you are careful removing them. I think it will still cool better than the broken stock fan.

Lol, well if i did bend some i'd still have to cut quite a few off.
I dont think i can use the pins from the stock fan because i'll proberly just cut them to get the fan off, as i'm too lazy to take the board out to remove it properly, especially with my water cooling its such an effort..

No idea where to get the pin things from :confused:

I thought about that, but it's already pretty crowded with all the tubes, so i dont know...

I just tried 11x228 on my 4400+ (2.5ghz), with CPU voltage set to 1.325v (although CPUZ was saying 1.280v), 4x hypertransport, and RAM at 180mhz, and it locked up when loading windows.

What am i doing wrong? Should i increase CPU voltage?

I guess this question is asked all the time..but - getting the dfi ultra-d board tomorrow second-hand from friend and not sure what BIOS is on there at moment but will be transferring my Opteron (in sig) with my 2gb OCZ memory (in sig) with a new x1900xt and was wondering if someone could tell me a good BIOS to flash to.

I have also never flashed a BIOS so am obviously a little nervous about doing so could I use a Windows based flashing utility?

I only mention about flashing the BIOS as have read that some BIOS's are better than others for certain setups - should I just stay with one already on or do people think I should flash?

Many thanks.

I'm looking to pick up a DFI NF4 Ultra-D in a week. Do you need to have a floppy drive to install the SATA drivers or will I be fine without one, reason being is that i'm not planning to buy a floppy drive, but I will if I need to for the SATA drivers.

Cheers

MG42Maniac said:
I'm looking to pick up a DFI NF4 Ultra-D in a week. Do you need to have a floppy drive to install the SATA drivers or will I be fine without one, reason being is that i'm not planning to buy a floppy drive, but I will if I need to for the SATA drivers.

Cheers
You don't need one if you only intend to run a normal drive, but you will need one for a RAID. The nF4 chipset defaults all SATA to IDE until the nV IDE SW drivers have been installed (from the nVidia Chipset driver package).

smids said:
You don't need one if you only intend to run a normal drive, but you will need one for a RAID. The nF4 chipset defaults all SATA to IDE until the nV IDE SW drivers have been installed (from the nVidia Chipset driver package).

Ok thats good cheers. I'm running a 74gb raptor as the boot and a 120gb SATA as storage so theres no need for RAID :)

Jeez this thing has my head aching :rolleyes:

I got the Sli-D delivered today and have set it up with 2 gb Gskill HZ ddr, X2 4400, 150gb raptor and a 7900gtx.

Windows was installed fine but I can't get inot the bios menu? I've tried resetting the cmos, taking the battery, but all i get when i try to enter (pressing delete at the splash screen) is the message:

nvidia raid ide rom bios 4.84 copyright blah blah blah.

detecting array...

flashing cursor and nothing happening.

I ive tried downloading the bootable cd with the bios's on - isnt set to boot from cd for some reason (dont know why because i havent chnaged it since the install) i tried unplugging the raptor in case that was set to boot first but it still wont boot from cd. Now when ive plugged the raptor back in I get an error that the windows hal file is missing or corrupt and to reinstall the file - i cant because i cant boot from the windows cd!!

Argh!!

Am i being REALLY stupid or is there a simple solution?

At wits end

Thanks

Marine

Back
Top Bottom