*** Official Dota 2 Thread ***

Soldato
Gotta love winning a game where early on 2 of your team disconnect but you're with two friends, works out for the best sometimes :)

http://dotabuff.com/matches/405506485

Late game goodness, though we were winning our lanes to. SK jungle, abaddon top and I got some cheeky kills while soloing safe lane. They really couldn't keep away and just kept letting me get enough hits in to get the drawn out doomed kills. Even managed to get a rapier, we kept saying as soon as they wipe us horribly well leave.. I think the closest we got was I died and bought back.

I think we all hit random to heh.

Caporegime
Had the best game for a while last night as NP. Farming just went so sweetly. Almost threw it towards the end with a stupid buyback fail (after selling my shadowblade, and forgetting I had done!). All goo dfun.

Soldato
I've been playing lots of Mirana recently.

Not a hero I had used much before but recently decided I fancied sticking to 1 hero for a while and so I randomed and it was Mirana.

Great fun hero to play, not a hard carry by any means but a decent semi carry who can easily dispatch supports with a well time arrow, starfall and a few right clicks.

Strongest early to mid game, especially early game as the arrow has a 4 second stun on level 1, if done long range, that's massive.

Good fun hero though, has 2 escape mechanisms too :)

Soldato

This seems like quite an interesting way of implementing Ranked matchmaking, from what I gather only your friends can see your MMR but not the general public which is quite cool hopefully that may reduce any sort of toxicity with having an MMR number attached to you.

Another cool thing is a game limit of being able to do ranked matches that should keep away smurfing accounts from messing up matchmaking.

Quite excited for this and that valve has actually communicated to us their plans for once, only bad thing is it will actually show how I am at dota :D .

Caporegime
OP
This'll be good for the people who can't play games just for fun anymore and have to see an arbitrary number change for a sense of accomplishment, could bring some over from lol

Caporegime
OP
It's not arbitrary it's based on wins/losses and who you beat. Yey for elitism

Yet if I go and play tidehunter or death prophet I'll probably be whatever the old very high bracket is now, if I go and play say Silencer or something which I'm terrible at I'll be a fair bit lower. Also doesn't really consider picks/item pick ups just flat out wins/losses and who you beat is a bit vague for a game as in depth as dota.

Anyways, will be good to hear people complain they aren't being ranked what they think they should etc etc. Telling how good someone was at dota before wasn't hard, nor was judging yourself.

Team matchmaking it would likely be fantastic for though, although I think it is already there and pretty crap from what I've heard

Soldato
Yet if I go and play tidehunter or death prophet I'll probably be whatever the old very high bracket is now, if I go and play say Silencer or something which I'm terrible at I'll be a fair bit lower. Also doesn't really consider picks/item pick ups just flat out wins/losses and who you beat is a bit vague for a game as in depth as dota.

Anyways, will be good to hear people complain they aren't being ranked what they think they should etc etc. Telling how good someone was at dota before wasn't hard, nor was judging yourself.

Team matchmaking it would likely be fantastic for though, although I think it is already there and pretty crap from what I've heard

Fair point. You could be penalised for playing say random/single and not playing your best character. As a casual player I'm not massively fussed as long as I avoid the sunshine club.

Associate
I think there are some misunderstandings with regard to how this works. Ranked matches are only AP, Captains Mode/Draft. You can't random. If you don't want to play ranked matches you are free to play normally as you always did.

True it doesn't consider item picks but it looks at team gold metrics to see how close the game was. It doesn't just consider wins and losses. Individual MMR can go up or down for a win although obviously it is more likely to go up.

Ranked matches were a much needed change in dota 2

Soldato
I like that they are adding ranked, it gives you something to work towards the same way it did in SC2 and CSGO.

Hopefully you'll get a bit more tryhard teammates rather than the usual **** as well.

Caporegime
OP
I think there are some misunderstandings with regard to how this works. Ranked matches are only AP, Captains Mode/Draft. You can't random. If you don't want to play ranked matches you are free to play normally as you always did.

True it doesn't consider item picks but it looks at team gold metrics to see how close the game was. It doesn't just consider wins and losses. Individual MMR can go up or down for a win although obviously it is more likely to go up.

Ranked matches were a much needed change in dota 2

So I can still go up MMR by having high GPM? I'd be interested to know how it determines how your MMR will go down for a win.

CS:GO and SC2 are very different games

Soldato
Not saying they are similar games but they let you see that you are improving and give you something to work towards. Will make you want to try harder in ranked games instead of just messing around and not really caring most of the time.

Associate
I quite like these changes, mostly because its hopefully the first step towards proper TMM with ladder (and maybe automated tournaments...one day \o/).

Saying that I think a lot of people are going to be very disappointed when they get 'stuck in the mmr trench' [because they are actually bad but can't admit that].

Caporegime
OP
SC2 is a clear improvement in your play style. (Not general play but rather what you're doing unless you play a huge variety of builds, hence a bad player like me can get masters)

CS:GO until the top games can pretty much just be won by outright better aim with half decent positioning.

Dota games take in a huge variety of things right from the bottom level of a game, how every lane does can cause one person to nearly snowball out of control, how much vision you're given, items built, farm allowed, picks and an endless list of other things that you depend on other people.

Then if you decide to go individual performance you can play super safe carry and do nothing with AM for example and farm jungle and lanes without helping your team and put you in danger (albeit that'll win you a game most times until you face a half decent team.)

Anyways, it'll put bad players low, really good players high, and a bit of a cluster**** in the middle of people whining and complaining about them being too low, or alright players thinking they're class. Will be interesting if DotaBuff can display everyones actual MMR despite it only being for friends.

At least it isn't as bad as HoN, that was funny.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Brown and Orange always had a tough time. :D

I would like my own stats screen inside Dota like HoN had that no one else can access including DotaBuff. Be able to set parameters like WPM when playing certain heroes would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom