*** Official Elder Scrolls MMO Thread ***

Associate
Seems I got nuuvem to work, to many security things on my pc, tried with the paypal option, redeemed code on teso website, 5 days early access, many thanks to whoever found this in the 1st place.

Man of Honour
Not sure how long the servers are going to be up for , they just say its up temporarily for them to test their overflow server. Had a 4 or 5 gb patch to download too. I'm guessing it wont be up for long, maybe a few hours.

Associate
Downloaded 200mb, applied a 10 Gb patch, downloaded another 1Gb applied another 10Gb patch, either theyve got some really good compression on or thats just odd....

Associate
There are in our guild yeah, its the older gamers, so its a guild specifically for older gamers, lots of veteran players who have been playing games for decades. We have a minimum age requirement (25) , but we have quite a few members who are in their 60s, 70s and even 80s. Most though are between 25 and 50.

I agree though, I really hope I am still gaming when I'm in my 70s and 80s !

how to apply to this guild me and my friend are 36 and 38 going to play ESO :)

Soldato
OP
Not sure how long the servers are going to be up for , they just say its up temporarily for them to test their overflow server. Had a 4 or 5 gb patch to download too. I'm guessing it wont be up for long, maybe a few hours.

The patch your downloading is converting the client to Retail, if you noticed on the left, the name changed from Elder Scrolls Online Beta to just Elder Scrolls Online.

Soldato
OP
Might be of use to some of you.

0eV6t9v.jpg

Lead gameplay designer Nick Konkle explains. "I think a lot of the previous generations of MMOs a lot of the game is looking at that UI and playing it. Technical restrictions were such that we couldn't have that sort of fully immersive battle experience because people weren't where they were, where you would see them, they were somewhere else.

"But we wanted to create an immersive experience because that's the modern game, that's the modern RPG," he says. "One in which I look at the world, not at my hotbar. Not at numbers that are flying up."

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/28/h...ve-mmos-i-look-at-the-world-not-at-my-hotbar/

Last edited:
Soldato
Reading that article sums up how much they have got wrong regarding UI building. If your watching the UI and not the game then your UI is just bad, UI's are there to compliment game play not detract from it. I've seen some people mention that when they played x,y,z game their Ui took up 70% + of screen space, I'm sorry but if that's true then your UI building skills were just plain terrible. The best UI's are functional and leave as much screen space as possible. You only have to look at the trend in WoW, UI builders have been trying to get as much info as possible into the smallest Ui space possible.

Also why are they messing around with overflows? I thought the whole point of their Megaserver™ was to eliminate queues etc?

Associate
As far as i know they are doing it as precaution incase the megaservers can't handle the traffic. I guess they don't want to have people moaning they can't log in!

ESO could pay you £8.99 a month and newbie would be in here complaining that it wasn't a rounded up £10.

He's also completely missed the point about the UI. He said himself, that WoW UI modders have been trying to get as much info on screen as possible, in as little space as possible. That is completely and utterly not the point of what they're trying to do. They don't want you looking at numbers, whatever their size on screen. They want you to adapt to audio and visual cues, not text being relayed to you.

Again, I'm sure you know this but just want to come in here to troll some more.

Associate
I hated that about other MMO's the fact that just look at the UI all the time, missing the action on screen. The only MMO's that i think have a good UI is GW2 and ESO.

One that makes you actually look at what is going on rather than countdowns!

Soldato
ESO could pay you £8.99 a month and newbie would be in here complaining that it wasn't a rounded up £10.

He's also completely missed the point about the UI. He said himself, that WoW UI modders have been trying to get as much info on screen as possible, in as little space as possible. That is completely and utterly not the point of what they're trying to do. They don't want you looking at numbers, whatever their size on screen. They want you to adapt to audio and visual cues, not text being relayed to you.

Again, I'm sure you know this but just want to come in here to troll some more.

If I was trolling or whatever I'd be linking pictures of trainwrecks, or calling it scrollocaust. Trying to have discussion with the fanboys is impossible.

If they wanted you to watch for clues in the audio or visual maybe maybe they should start having some telling animations for heals, because most of them don't have jack to distinguish them from other skills. Guess its not an inconvenience spamming 'C' to see when a buffs dropped off is it..?

Question for you scritchy, do you think they have gone the right way with the UI and recent API permanent changes? Do you think its a clever move not being able to see debuffs/buffs and hots? As a healer not being able to see **** I cast is just straight up retarded.

Last edited:
Soldato
If i recall its the same in daoc with regards to buffs and debuffs, you get a visual clue though and obviously rooted people cant move, mezzed people have zzzz above them etc, snared people move slow and what not

Associate
Question for you scritchy, do you think they have gone the right way with the UI and recent API permanent changes? Do you think its a clever move not being able to see debuffs/buffs and hots? As a healer not being able to see **** I cast is just straight up retarded.

I've stated numerous times my opinion on the the UI and API stuff, you've obviously not paid any attention to my posts.

I like the minimalist UI. I don't need to have any sort of parser or dps meter or threat meter to stare at. I would however, like chat to have a combat tab option and the ability to see my own buffs.

And if you need any sort of add on to be able to heal, well you're not much of a healer IMO. It's the same for DPS who demand a threat meter in things. It's simple, don't unload before the tank gets aggro, pace yourself and learn when and where to use your big hits. If that still irks the mob then use a de-aggro skill. If you're still unable to play without a threat meter than you're not playing an MMO, you're playing a spreadsheet.

Back
Top Bottom