**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Soldato
Also as a side note I was one of the few here not disappointed by what Fallout 4 was when it released since I read correctly into what they had more or less said before the launch and it was what I expected it to be, and people thought it would be something else,hence all the hate towards it.

I predicted it would be an exploration game with less RPG elements,better gun mechanics and building stuff,since Bethesda dropped more hints about the size of the world,shooting stuff and base building than talking about RPG elements.

Devs have a habit of highlighting the most developed and important parts of their game before launch. Now look at what Bethesda is highlighting here!;)

Its best to lower your expectations for Fallout 76 - at the very least Bethesda might be able to tweak the game in the next 5 months with some of the feedback.

If it ends up what I fear it might be,I don't need to buy it and can play something else,which is better than hyping it to be something it isn't,buying the game,and then complaining about it for the next few years,since you regret the purchase! :p

...bit off topic but what do you do in FO4 for 650 hours? Is that just building settlements? Usually I've cleared the commonwealth area by 100 hours.

I have over 1000 hours in the game over three playthroughs. Two of those are due to mods,and a lot of that was building. In the first playthrough I did without mods I explored everything in all the areas and there is a surprising amount you can miss in hidden away areas,especially in the city.

Last edited:

FTM

FTM

Soldato
I will be well over 1000 hours as well

multiple playthroughs, different endings, melee or sneaky sniper games ,even an enclave playthrough thanks to mods

at the minute it a zombie survival game for me

mods add so much more to the game

suppose it also gives a new shot in the arm to the larger fallout 4 mods still awaiting release..they can continue knowing theres no new single player experience coming along to derail everything

Soldato
I've logged well over 1000+ hours in Skyrim and about 150hrs in F4. Skyrim I modded to the balls resulting in a 70gb dir at one point. Both games are great for exploration but Witcher 3 kinda ruined my F4 experience as it felt stale after Gerald's adventures.

You can play Ultima Online or WoW 'Solo' - this doesn't mean single player as you're still online in a world amongst others still. It is the very nature of these games, as Fallout 76 is claimed to be when Todd says it is entirely online. Solo literally means by yourself, and not isolated in a single player instance. He did choose his words very carefully, which suggests there's still work to be done here and they weren't confident in delving into the details of how the online mode will work.

Bethesda will want to control the servers in order to control the experience and at the same time control the modding experience. Folks need to remember, this isn't Fallout 5 but a seperate game just like Fallout Shelter was. I don't really like what I've heard thus far but truth be told, we do need more info.

Soldato
...bit off topic but what do you do in FO4 for 650 hours? Is that just building settlements? Usually I've cleared the commonwealth area by 100 hours.
You play fast. :p I got 217 hours clocked and not done the whole map or finished the game before I got bored on it. But then again, being a lootholic it was a bit running back and forth with loot to sell etc for me, plus disliking the fast travel so all was done on foot. And some settlement building which did take a chunk of time of course. :(

In regards to 76 though. Have to wait and see what is what before making up my mind, but so far not looking good, especially if it will be on dedicated Bethesda servers for a few years ?? What about after a few years, having a game that you can't play because Bethesda decided they can't be bothered to maintain the servers any longer ?? Yeah, definitely gonna wait and see exactly what it will turn out to be ! :confused:

Soldato
I've logged well over 1000+ hours in Skyrim and about 150hrs in F4. Skyrim I modded to the balls resulting in a 70gb dir at one point. Both games are great for exploration but Witcher 3 kinda ruined my F4 experience as it felt stale after Gerald's adventures.

I ended up hitting the 255 mod limit in FO4 in one playthrough,and the save file ended up being nearly 100mb! But then I did end up building a 23 story skyscraper at Abernathy farm at one point,and started making my own synths! :p The Witcher 3 was fun enough,but I really didn't like the combat mechanics in it,especially after playing games like Chivalry for instance.

Soldato
I ended up hitting the 255 mod limit in FO4 in one playthrough,and the save file ended up being nearly 100mb! But then I did end up building a 23 story skyscraper at Abernathy farm at one point,and started making my own synths! :p The Witcher 3 was fun enough,but I really didn't like the combat mechanics in it,especially after playing games like Chivalry for instance.
Yeah those ES game saves can get horribly large. Try as I did, I just couldn't get into base building in F4 - the UI was horribly clunky to use and I often wandered how folks managed to cope with it. I recently installed the game again and modded the hell out of it. Ended up playing some 7hrs before I deleted it as I just wasn't feeling it.

Speaking of F4. Since 76 is using a modified engine again (was it Gamebryo or something?) will we be tied to 60fps max frame rates before the game spazzes out on us?

Soldato
He made a bad choice of words, but f you listen fully, you understand that he means you can still play it solo as single player.

ARK you can play it single player, you don't need to join a server to play it "solo".

This is how it's going to be played, it be single player but with MP options, at worst it will be like ESO.

You misread what I said - the game is online only with at least a dozen players per server. Point me to where he said you can play by yourself on the map in a PvE environment. He hasn't said that at all.

What I said about ARK is correct - imagine you being on a public server,but playing solo.

That is what this is going to be unless they clarify this properly. Try playing on a public server by yourself without having a tribe and see how that works out. It forces you towards group play.

He said solo for a reason. That means a group is optional,but he never once said you could have a playthrough with a map just to yourself.

Solo does not equal single player. It means you play by yourself.

Also he also didn't indicate at all,that like ARK you can host your OWN servers,ie,it will be all Bethesda ones,so that also means a high likelihood of no private servers for you and your mates.

I hope this is not the case,but sadly with devs nowadays its best to be not too over optimistic(sadly).

Exactly this.

No mention of hosting your own server just using theirs.

Given that, mods will not be available unless introduces as server wide assets.

Soldato
Yeah those ES game saves can get horribly large. Try as I did, I just couldn't get into base building in F4 - the UI was horribly clunky to use and I often wandered how folks managed to cope with it. I recently installed the game again and modded the hell out of it. Ended up playing some 7hrs before I deleted it as I just wasn't feeling it.

Speaking of F4. Since 76 is using a modified engine again (was it Gamebryo or something?) will we be tied to 60fps max frame rates before the game spazzes out on us?

I ended up building a kind of scafolding to help with the tower - I am not as good as some of the people like Oxhorn,but its kind of fun just going with it when building.

You should try Sim Settlements,which automates the base building and is one of the best FO4 mods and Transfer Settlements where you can just use premade ones which drop into the map. I really hope Bethesda has taken some notes from the people who make building mods,otherwise the Fallout 76 build mechanics might feel even more clunky.

Regarding the engine,there was noise one more game would be made on the Creation engine so it could be based on it,so the same limitations will apply - I do hope CPU optimisation is much better. One of the issues with FO4 is once you have more and more NPCs and more and more settlements performance is a really problem,since the game pushes one to two threads the most,and also it seems they have not bothered optimising FO4 for CPUs like Ryzen(no indication of patches in the last year),so I do hope its improved in that regard.

OFC,it could also use a version of the engine in ESO too.

Soldato
Spent a lot of time & money on Fallout 3,NV & 4 on both PC & Xbox. Will not be spending any time or money whatsoever on this :(

Online only is a mismatched concept for this franchise. Gfx look same as 3 year old Fallout 4. Bethesda will not get anywhere near the same 13M plus sales numbers as Fallout 4 as most of the player base wanted an SP Fallout 5 with a new modern looking gfx engine not an online only hybrid game.

Soldato
Fallout 5 would have been guaranteed bank though. Some people didn't like Fallout 4, but it sold incredibly well and if they fixed the niggles, would be onto a winner again.

A new genre seems a big risk.

Trouble is, if FO76 is a success (and I really hope it bombs) then we can probably kiss goodbye to single player Fallout for the foreseeable.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Fallout 5 would have been guaranteed bank though. Some people didn't like Fallout 4, but it sold incredibly well and if they fixed the niggles, would be onto a winner again.

A new genre seems a big risk.
Definitely.

I thought Fallout 4 was weak relative to Fallout 3, but still purchased it day one and enjoyed it. Will likely do the same for Fallout 5 too as long as it is a proper single player experience. Though this time I will wait about 2-3 months for some bugs to be fixed.

Trouble is, if FO76 is a success (and I really hope it bombs) then we can probably kiss goodbye to single player Fallout for the foreseeable.
This is my concern also. Really hope it bombs hard.

Soldato
Can't see it bombing. Take a glance at twitter and streamers and gamers alike (probably never played a fallout game) are marvelling at the graphics (what?!) and are getting overly excited. This will go the same way GTA Online has gone, despite fans wanting a classic RPG experience, the 'pixelcrack' generation of gamers who want to build bases and have their character dressed up pretty will probably love it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Can't see it bombing. Take a glance at twitter and streamers and gamers alike (probably never played a fallout game) are marvelling at the graphics (what?!) and are getting overly excited. This will go the same way GTA Online has gone, despite fans wanting a classic RPG experience, the 'pixelcrack' generation of gamers who want to build bases and have their character dressed up pretty will probably love it.
Haha 'pixelcrack' :D

Permabanned

Even my characters as fat and lazy as me. :D

I have spent a lot of time on the settlements, Along with not using fast travel and trying to complete everything it all adds up. I'm also trying to work on getting all the Steam Achievements. I don't play it non stop, I sometimes stop and don't go back to it for months at a time.

Permabanned
You play fast. :p I got 217 hours clocked and not done the whole map or finished the game before I got bored on it. But then again, being a lootholic it was a bit running back and forth with loot to sell etc for me, plus disliking the fast travel so all was done on foot. And some settlement building which did take a chunk of time of course. :(

In regards to 76 though. Have to wait and see what is what before making up my mind, but so far not looking good, especially if it will be on dedicated Bethesda servers for a few years ?? What about after a few years, having a game that you can't play because Bethesda decided they can't be bothered to maintain the servers any longer ?? Yeah, definitely gonna wait and see exactly what it will turn out to be ! :confused:

It's mostly like this for me too except I take long breaks from it to avoid becoming fed up with it.

Also as a side note I was one of the few here not disappointed by what Fallout 4 was when it released since I read correctly into what they had more or less said before the launch and it was what I expected it to be, and people thought it would be something else,hence all the hate towards it.

It's a great game, A lot of people moaned about it being on the same dated engine before it released but that hasn't taken away from the experience imo.

Soldato
It's mostly like this for me too except I take long breaks from it to avoid becoming fed up with it.

It's a great game, A lot of people moaned about it being on the same dated engine before it released but that hasn't taken away from the experience imo.

Even my characters as fat and lazy as me. :D

I have spent a lot of time on the settlements, Along with not using fast travel and trying to complete everything it all adds up. I'm also trying to work on getting all the Steam Achievements. I don't play it non stop, I sometimes stop and don't go back to it for months at a time.

Well I dip in and out of it,so I definitelty have got my money's worth and the modding is fun just like with Skyrim. My main annoyance with the engine is that its not very well optimised,since it pushes one to two threads massively,and Bethesda CBA optimising their games for AMD CPUs too(Ryzen is not so great in the game).

Back
Top Bottom