**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Soldato
Can you pirate this game? Considering its online..

They adding single player to it later. I'm confident the crackers will find a way and after all, it's on a modded Creation Engine, that thing is moddable to hell.

But yeah, am getting this is just a test for them. They will start adding all their damn games to their crap launcher.

Associate
Well i was going to wait for the steam reviews before even thinking of buying, but theres no chance now. I wonder if the steam reviews and refund policy had something to do with them not using steam.. It shows a lack of faith in their game if that is the case. I just hope they don't do the same with any future titles.
Nope, it's the fact that steam takes a cut from every purchase on their platform, so any publisher who uses their own distribution platform (if they have one) gets to keep 100% of each game that is purchased.

Soldato
Nope, it's the fact that steam takes a cut from every purchase on their platform, so any publisher who uses their own distribution platform (if they have one) gets to keep 100% of each game that is purchased.

Isn't that just for sales on the platform? Most people buy the keys elsewhere, but the keys on steam are generally at least 30% more expensive, so we pay the 30% for them anyway. They were happy with this arrangement for years, with some of their biggest titles, it seems a bit strange they suddenly change for this controversial game. If its all about maximising profits then they aren't doing a very good job of that by alienating even more players through stunts like this.

Associate
Yes, I guess as this is only a "minor" game, putting it on Bethesda.net is obviously a testing ground for them. But I've not seen any of the big publishers turn back TO Steam after having their own launcher... :(

To be fair only EA have left. Others have only recently taken this action so to soon to tell.

However I seem to remember UBISoft leaving a few years ago, but it never lasted long.

Soldato
Beta for this due next month. I hope it's still got a FO4 style single player story / campaign mode.
Hope away its not getting that anytime soon if ever! The best we can hope for is that the game is a massive flop & Bethesda rethink their strategy then retune the game for SP after the Beta feedback. The map size is over 4 times larger than Fallout 4 so a lot of content most Fallout fans will never ever get to experience unless Bethesda change their minds :(

Starfield is the next confirmed SP release from Bethesda and that is several years away & before any Fallout 5 SP (which is already confirmed as the next SP title in the series).

76 is just the Fallout 4 MP component which they never finished back in 2015 :rolleyes:

Soldato
sounds like way to less people per server to feel like a multiplayer game
24 is still too many it should be a Solo game only. The patches for private servers are post launch with no clear timeframe. I still think this game will flop & Bethesda will have to convert it into a SP game like the other Fallouts. I shudder to think how much HD space it will require if its 4 x the size of Fallout 4 map & HDR & other newer gfx mean its going to have an almighty HD space requirement!

Man of Honour
Beta for this due next month. I hope it's still got a FO4 style single player story / campaign mode.

It's designed as a party orientated PvP multiplayer game and can't be played as a single player game at all. It will probably be possible to play it solo in a multiplayer environment but even if there is a story, it's going to be at best flawed for that play because it's not designed for it. You can use a spanner as a hammer, but it's designed as a spanner and it won't be as good a hammer as something designed as a hammer.

I'm pencilling it in as a possible maybe purchase. I'll wait and see how it turns out. Maybe it will be playable as solo in a multiplayer environment. There have been mentions of a sort of pseudo single player mode of sorts which allows you to avoid at least some aspects of PvP and some mentions of some sort of story and quests. Maybe.

The lack of mods makes my pencilling fainter. Bethesda is the horse armour people. They take the mickey out of their customers when there are fan-made mods available. I see no reason to think they won't do it a lot more when there aren't. I expect to see most of the base building stuff only being available at a very high price on top of the full price for the game. A roof without holes in it? $3. Different colour paint on one type of wall? $2. Some furniture? $5. Etc, etc, etc. I'd be pleasantly surprised if the game and complete base building stuff would cost less than $150. A limited array of shacks and suchlike included in the full price, but everything else extra and piecemeal. But hey, it's only "cosmetic" stuff.

Also, yet another client to install. It's starting to look like the TV market, with umpteen different services. My pencilling is quite faint.

Associate
The lack of mods makes my pencilling fainter. Bethesda is the horse armour people. They take the mickey out of their customers when there are fan-made mods available.

A link to many free mods is in the Fallout 4 launcher. For a long time there were about 4 paid mods, while the link to loads of free mods was there (and still is). It doesn't seem the way to go make a hard sell of paid mods to me.

Why are people so reluctant to have multiple launchers on their system? You can disable them from starting in Autoruns if you want (if they don't natively have that option). I have a 120GB system drive and it gets nowhere near full. It doesn't make any difference to me to have the data for a launcher sitting there.

I'm a Fallout fan, and I'm looking forward to 76. It will involve the exploration of a very large map in the best ever Fallout graphics and if that's all that I like about it, it's worth getting for me.

Last edited:
Associate
I shudder to think how much HD space it will require if its 4 x the size of Fallout 4 map & HDR & other newer gfx mean its going to have an almighty HD space requirement!

I can't imagine F76 will be larger than GTAV. I don't want to be denied a big map with nice graphics because you have an unusual drive restriction.
I don't know how HDR works but I'm pretty sure it doesn't involve large data sets.

Man of Honour
A link to many free mods is in the Fallout 4 launcher. For a long time there were about 4 paid mods, while the link to loads of free mods was there (and still is). It doesn't seem the way to go make a hard sell of paid mods to me.

Useless horse armour for $5. Twice. $9 for a player home and half a dozen items of furniture. Etc. That's when free mods are extremely widely available and superior to the paid mods. Wait and see what happens when there are no free mods and can't be any free mods.

My FO4 launcher has no mention of paid mods at all. I used a free mod to get rid of it.

Why are people so reluctant to have multiple launchers on their system? You can disable them from starting in Autoruns if you want (if they don't natively have that option). I have a 120GB system drive and it gets nowhere near full. It doesn't make any difference to me to have the data for a launcher sitting there.

My Fallout 4 installation is 45GB by itself and I don't have any texture mods. I have a 500GB system drive and I have to keep many of my games off it. My older games are on an HDD because it doesn't really matter. The launcher thing is just faff. Having 2 niggles at me. I don't want more. There's also a privacy issue, of course, since the launcher will probably be data gathering as that's so fashionable. More niggling.

I'm a Fallout fan, and I'm looking forward to 76.

I'm a Fallout fan and I'm not looking forward to 76.

My credentials:

My relevant purchased games are as follows - Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout 3 Broken Steel DLC, Fallout 3 Point Lookout DLC, Fallout New Vegas plus all the DLC, Fallout 4 plus all the DLC (pre-ordered game and all DLC at full launch price without even knowing what any of the DLC was going to be or when it was going to be released. Also Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind (twice - disc and later digital for convenience), Oblivion and Skyrim.

It will involve the exploration of a very large map in the best ever Fallout graphics and if that's all that I like about it, it's worth getting for me.

And if they release that as an offline single player game I will buy it right away. If they license the engine to another developer to make an offline single player Fallout game I will buy that right away. I will pre-order any such games. I will pre-order any such Elder Scrolls games. They are the only games I will pre-order. The last other game I pre-ordered was Test Drive Unlimited 2 and that taught me why I shouldn't pre-order games.

The dialogue wheel crap alone would be enough to dissuade me from buying an unmoddable Fallout/Elder Scrolls game. A sentence isn't too much for me to read. Give me a choice, allow someone else to give me a choice or don't have my money.

Soldato
I can't imagine F76 will be larger than GTAV. I don't want to be denied a big map with nice graphics because you have an unusual drive restriction.
I don't know how HDR works but I'm pretty sure it doesn't involve large data sets.
I have no HD restrictions whatsoever!

Fallout 4 is now 98GB with the official HD texture pack. 4 x the map size AND higher quality gfx means 76 is going to clearly be well over 100GB....for an MP ONLY title with no OFFLINE play whatsoever possible is not a good business decision. How will it even work? Download as you explore or download the entire map before you can explore?

Soldato
I too am only interested in 76 from a single player perspective and my major issue with it is that they have stated that there will no NPCs to interact with, everyone you meet in the game will be another player. That is ripping a large part of the Fallout heart out for me right there.

Caporegime
I too am only interested in 76 from a single player perspective and my major issue with it is that they have stated that there will no NPCs to interact with, everyone you meet in the game will be another player. That is ripping a large part of the Fallout heart out for me right there.
I assume there'll be a FO5 relatively soon to address that then. Not that that's any consolation to FO nuts!

FO is the only RPG series that's held my interest, despite my best efforts with Skyrim and Witcher.

Soldato
This is something ONLY Todd Howard seems to be in denial over as well :rolleyes: its so bizarre. When Fallout 4 generated over $750M day 1 sales in 2015 (the largest ever for a game or movie no less!) surely you give the fans more of the same SP experience not something different (which is only at the end of the day Fallout 4 MP content never finished back in 2015 anyway!).

Having seen the way Fallout fans in the US have reacted badly to the always online MP direction I am still slightly hopeful Bethesda cancel the Beta, delay 1 year and go back & reconfigure the game around an SP only environment like the other recent games. To persist in this current development path when so many are unhappy is just poor management at this stage. Todd Howard should just admit Bethesda got it all badly wrong and make it right!

Soldato
I assume there'll be a FO5 relatively soon to address that then. Not that that's any consolation to FO nuts!

FO is the only RPG series that's held my interest, despite my best efforts with Skyrim and Witcher.
Fallout 5 SP only is already confirmed by Todd Howard as coming but he said its at least 3-5 years away. Starfield (which looks pretty good) is their next confirmed SP only game and that is also many years away!

Man of Honour
I have no HD restrictions whatsoever!

Fallout 4 is now 98GB with the official HD texture pack. 4 x the map size AND higher quality gfx means 76 is going to clearly be well over 100GB....for an MP ONLY title with no OFFLINE play whatsoever possible is not a good business decision. How will it even work? Download as you explore or download the entire map before you can explore?

I didn't have drive restrictions until I installed an SSD. I like the speed increase, but the capacity decrease is an issue. I couldn't convince myself that a 1TB SSD was worth the money, so I've only got a 500GB SSD. I also have a 250GB SSD, but I'm not using it because having stuff spread over different drives is a fuss I don't consider worth having for 250GB.

I have 6TB of HDD because that's so much cheaper, but I'm spoiled by SSD. Although FO4 still manages to have long loading times on an SSD, somehow.

Heh, long loading times. I remember when a ~40KB game (yes, kilobytes, no typo) took 6 minutes to load and I thought that was OK. Now a multi-GB game might take 30s to load and I think that's a long time. It's the saved games that take the most loading time in FO4, for some reason.

No, there won't be. FO5 is planned, but not soon at all. Also, there's nothing to say it will be single player. Online-only multiplayer gives Bethesda control over everything, especially modding (which they're sure they can make oodles of easy money from if only they have total control). It's also easier to do because they don't need to develop the gameworld to anything like the same extent as they do for a single player game.

Your best bet for new Fallout content any time soon is probably mod teams in FO4. There are already some DLC-sized mods for it (e.g. Fusion City Rising, although that one is very badly lore-breaking and I didn't much like it for that reason) and a few almost game-sized mods for it that are in some form of development (e.g. Fallout Miami).

This is something ONLY Todd Howard seems to be in denial over as well :rolleyes: its so bizarre. When Fallout 4 generated over $750M day 1 sales in 2015 (the largest ever for a game or movie no less!) surely you give the fans more of the same SP experience not something different (which is only at the end of the day Fallout 4 MP content never finished back in 2015 anyway!).

Having seen the way Fallout fans in the US have reacted badly to the always online MP direction I am still slightly hopeful Bethesda cancel the Beta, delay 1 year and go back & reconfigure the game around an SP only environment like the other recent games. To persist in this current development path when so many are unhappy is just poor management at this stage. Todd Howard should just admit Bethesda got it all badly wrong and make it right!

I doubt if they will do that. They admitted they were wrong about horse armour...and then they did exactly the same thing again only worse. Bethesda will probably make a lot of money from FO76 for a lot less work than it takes to make a proper FO game, so they probably won't stop doing it. Even if they hardly make any money, they'll still do it because they're convinced they know best. They won't even allow single player access to FO76, so the chance of them delaying FO76 to make it into a single player game is, I think, nil.

Soldato
I doubt if they will do that. They admitted they were wrong about horse armour...and then they did exactly the same thing again only worse. Bethesda will probably make a lot of money from FO76 for a lot less work than it takes to make a proper FO game, so they probably won't stop doing it. Even if they hardly make any money, they'll still do it because they're convinced they know best. They won't even allow single player access to FO76, so the chance of them delaying FO76 to make it into a single player game is, I think, nil.
Well I am still hoping they do something for the SP player base 76 is not going to sell anywhere near the same level as Fallout 4. Who knows how much they actually spent to finish it as it was unfinished Fallout4 MP content made leading up to 2015 anyway.

If the game really flops (no Steam will not help either) Bethesda will have to reconfigure the content. Also with regards to HD space Fallout 4 is currently 98GB & 76 is 4 times the map size so how much space will it even require! Then as no offline play is ever possible you have all the usual issues around you cannot access your paid for content until they fix whatever the issue causing the downtime is!

I think the biggest issue most people have with 76 is these games are best suited to an SP gameplay model (lone wanderer and all that). Being forced to play with a minimum of 24 other players dumped onto your map is also going to create issues & remove the post apocalyptic atmosphere. What happens for instance when your server drops to less than 24 players do you all have to wait for someone else to join & the game pauses or you get kicked to the main menu (Fallout 4 on Xbox 1X is the best looking Fallout4 build right now & if you lose your net connection it kicks you out instantly to the main menu without warning & corrupts the autosave!).

Back
Top Bottom