** Official Horizon: Forbidden West Complete Edition Thread **

A big part of Nixxes ports is supporting ultrawide aspect ratios. What was like from an art perspective, changing scenes designed for 16:9 to support 21:9 and other aspect ratios?

Patrick Den Bekker - Nixxes: Obviously, on all projects we like to have an ultrawide option, and the game content isn't built for that. So we have animators and designers that go through all the cinematic content to make sure it's all clean on the sides - so you don't see popping, or characters not animating. That's usually the most time-intensive part. But it's always a really great addition to PC, so that's why we try to do it.

Julian Huijbregts - Nixxes: It's good to stress that this title has a very large amount of cutscenes. It was quite a big commitment! But we do support up to 32:9, even in cutscenes. By default, the black bars are turned on, which is partly a creative decision as the game is created for 16:9, but do feel free to turn black bars off and enjoy it on your 32:9 monitor, because I think it's quite enjoyable! And yeah, we did put a lot of work into that in terms of art and lighting.

Jeroen Krebbers - Guerrilla: We saw the game at 32:9 here at Guerrilla for the first time only two weeks ago, and it's amazing. Alex, if you haven't seen it yet, please find somewhere where you can see it.

I have a 4:3 and a 16:9 but no 32:9! I really wish I did - I obviously need that right here.

Jeroen Krebbers - Guerrilla
: You don't know what you're missing.

Alex at DF still doesn't have an ultrawide, should he be taken seriously from now on???? :cry:

Last edited:
All the DF guys use the LG 42" TVs as monitor's dont they? Madness, those screens are surely huge to use as monitors.

They aren't, using one on my desk and I wouldn't use anything smaller, or larger now. Can't recall how deep the desk is maybe 80 something cm. If I want to mimic ultrawide (I don't), I can just set a custom res and have lovely black bars instead.

Last edited:
They aren't, using one on my desk and I wouldn't use anything smaller, or larger now. Can't recall how deep the desk is maybe 80 something cm. If I want to mimic ultrawide (I don't), I can just set a custom res and have lovely black bars instead.
Do you play any FPS games at all? I really struggled using even a 32" monitor to play FPS games, it just felt like I was moving my head more than my eyes. This is even with an 80cm deep desk and pushing it back.

Problem with mimicking ultrawide on a 16:9 OLED is that for long gaming sessions, assuming you play daily, can lead to uneven pixel wear because you're consistently not using 2 large blocks of pixels.It's the same with watching 16:9 content on an OLED ultrawide, you end up with fatigued pixels on the sides which can be seen as screen burn after a year or two of doing that regularly, but on ultrawide you can force 16:9 to display fully on 21:9 aspect which crops off the top and bottom areas of the view which in most TV shows or movies is fine as not much is missed in those areas.

Also mimicking ultrawide on such a large TV will put the 21:9 view in the centre of the display, you can't move it up and down (last I checked) so it's within your eyeline, so the picture may be too high or too low depending on your height/seating/desk setup etc.

Last edited:
Do you play any FPS games at all? I really struggled using even a 32" monitor to play FPS games, it just felt like I was moving my head more than my eyes. This is even with an 80cm deep desk and pushing it back.

Not many but I think that when I do, I change the FOV to compensate. I fired up Boltgun to see if I moved my head and I do but very minimal, I don't really need to with an FOV of 90 but I recall having an issue on games where you couldn't change it.
There are some cases where I prefer using smaller screens, I will often focus very dead centre and not take notice of things in peripheral vision.
I just measured and yes my Desk is 80cm, the TV is about 90cm from screen to my eyeballs.

@mrk I cannot fathom why anyone would want to mimic it in the first place tbh, just buy an ultrawide if you want it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mrk
@mrk I cannot fathom why anyone would want to mimic it in the first place tbh, just buy an ultrawide if you want it.
It was a big discussion a while ago, the LG 42" crowd were saying they can just get 21:9 in games anyway because OLED, so there's no BLB/IPS glow like you would get an an LCD TV doing the same hting and in a dark room it's as if you're on a physical 21:9 monitor anyway - But nobody really brought up the question of pixel wear by doing this :p

IMO the ideal solution is 39" ultra-wide with a native ~5120x2160 resolution. That would be the pinnacle of end game as far as I'm concerned. But we won't be seeing that for some years, hopefully by then those new OLED panels with burn-proof pixels will be in mass production too which are currently in the lab testing phase.

Besides, ultrawide displays just look much cooler and modern than 16:9 :cry:

Last edited:
It was a big discussion a while ago, the LG 42" crowd were saying they can just get 21:9 in games anyway because OLED, so there's no BLB/IPS glow like you would get an an LCD TV doing the same hting and in a dark room it's as if you're on a physical 21:9 monitor anyway - But nobody really brought up the question of pixel wear by doing this :p

What has OLED got to do with the first bit though, I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here because there are the QD-OLED UW's. TBH I don't consider pixel wear anymore, I just accept it's a consumable and if I ever get burn-in etc then I'll get rid. That said, it's also quite unlikely for my use case.

@mrk Have you done testing with native at quality dlss vs 5160x2160?

I did a quick test on both native and DLSS Quality with RTX HDR and also 5160x2160 and DLSS performance. The latter still has the edge. You just see the higher resolution is character faces etc. But surprisingly the gap is not that huge this time, not night and day like hogwarts for example. That said I only tested this briefly in a single area. Will test again once I get further into the game.

Right now I am learning towards going the 5160x2160 route. But I do get 10fps or there abouts more going the native route.

Decisions decisions :D

Looks like I am going to go with native and DLSS Quality with Nvidia RTX HDR. In some areas I found my fps dipped a bit too low for my liking at 5160x2160 with DLSS on Performance which does not happen on native.

The difference in some areas are actually a lot more than just 10fps so that sealed the deal for me.

At least the difference is not that big so easier for me to make the choice :D

Oh and the fake frames issue I had at the start seems to be gone now.

I did a quick test on both native and DLSS Quality with RTX HDR and also 5160x2160 and DLSS performance. The latter still has the edge. You just see the higher resolution is character faces etc. But surprisingly the gap is not that huge this time, not night and day like hogwarts for example. That said I only tested this briefly in a single area. Will test again once I get further into the game.

Right now I am learning towards going the 5160x2160 route. But I do get 10fps or there abouts more going the native route.

Decisions decisions

Devs haven't relied on TAA in order to get a decent image it seems, also finding the difference with dldsr very small so sticking with dlss quality at 3440x1440 here.

Nice to see the fake frame mod works with this.

Doesn't work well I've found. Motion is quite poor and noticeably worse with it on based on my experience. I imagine nvidias FG will lead the way as per usual though.

Reactions: TNA
What has OLED got to do with the first bit though, I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here because there are the QD-OLED UW's. TBH I don't consider pixel wear anymore, I just accept it's a consumable and if I ever get burn-in etc then I'll get rid. That said, it's also quite unlikely for my use case.
The context was that on reddit and other places people were talking about why get an ultrawide OLED when you can get a 42" OLED TV that functions just great as a monitor, has VRR etc, and has a built in 21:9 mode so when gaming in the dark on a 42" OLED TV in 21:9 mode, it "feels" like you're on a physical ultrawide because the rest of the pixels are pitch black.

They were arguing that this is the benefit of the LG G/C series over an actual OLED ultrawide 34", but forgetting to make note of the pixel wear top and bottom on the 42" by doing this consistently since you can't move the portion in 21:9 mode as it's fixed to the centre of the TV (which has other issues as noted above about desk config, seating, eyeline etc).

Anyway it's a side-bar discussion just thought worth mentioning because the topic filtered into OLED and ultrawide.

Decisions decisions :D
Hogwarts is a niche example because the engine itself only loads ultra quality textures when you select a resolution of say 4K, at 1440P it will not load ultra quality textures, even when you select ultra quality textures in the settings. @Nexus18 pointed this out the other day too. This is an obvious flaw in the game and this comparison in this game should be labelled as void as a result lol.

As for my testing, I did do some testing, just not had a chance to post yet as was too immersed in that marathon late night session hunting Wild Meat for Mildurf to cook me up something before my epic adventure into the Forbidden areas, but then ran into Petre who wanted to exchange war stories :D

Here were my findings, DLAA vs DLSS (3440x1440 & 5160x2160):

(do not compare the 3440 res ones with 5160 res as I have not rescaled the 5160 so when you zoom in with both side by side, the 3440 will look more pixellated as it's actually zooming in more to match the crop of the 5160 resolution so would be an optically unfair comparison to make)

I did some fps checks too and they were quite interesting, just in one scene looking at the vegetation:

3440x1440 DLAA, No FG: 98 fps average
3440x1440 DLSS Quality, No FG: 108 fps average
3440x1440 DLSS Ultra Performance, No FG: 111 fps average

The above leads me to believe that Nixxes are using proper DLSS Preset settings to get the best out of DLSS even in Ultra Performance at the cost of not much fps difference between Quality and Ultra Performance like you see in other games.

At DLSS Ultra Performance the temporal stability of the long grass about 20 feet in front of Aloy is visible but only if you look for it, from sitting back casually playing you'd never notice it really.

At DLAA and DLSS Quality the same temporal stability is 1:1 identical, no stability loss at all not even eyeballs up to the screen.

I also tried FSR 2.2 Quality and to my surprise I could not spot any temporal stability issues in the same grass, didn't try FSR Performance though but this so far is the first game I have played where FSR Quality has zero temporal instability :eek: - How have they managed to do what AMD themselves have never been able to do in AMD sponsored games :cry:

The game's native SMAA method instead of DLAA is trash, it is temporally unstable in the same scene. The TAA method is much cleaner but eyeballs up close you can see it's not 100% as stable as DLAA/DLSS or FSR Quality.

DLSS Frame Gen has zero issues in this too,it just works and boosts fps. I'm not using it though as no real need. Don't need to exceed my refresh rate so no need to keep it bouncing at 141fps by using Frame Gen.

Me personally I'm using 3440x1440 DLSS Quality because the image has sharper details than with DLAA which is a neutral flat on the details in both 3440x1440 and 5160x2160. There is no advantage in this game for DLDSR it seems because everything else is rendered so good at all other resolutions/upscaler settings.

Last edited:
Hogwarts is a niche example because the engine itself only loads ultra quality textures when you select a resolution of say 4K, at 1440P it will not load ultra quality textures, even when you select ultra quality textures in the settings

Not for me. Seen plenty games where it makes a big enough difference to me. But then I am more sensitive to resolution change than you as I don't sit as far back.

DLSS Frame Gen has zero

Would not say zero. Aloys face was flickering like mad around the start of the game for me. But now no issues. This at both 5160x2160 and 3440x1440 by the way. I tested it to see if it was an low fps issue.

as I don't sit as far back.
So that photo of you was actually true!

Aj1R8Wr.png

Would not say zero. Aloys face was flickering like mad around the start of the game for me. But now no issues. This at both 5160x2160 and 3440x1440 by the way. I tested it to see if it was an low fps issue.

Was this during cutscenes? I've seen some flickering/shimmering of textures and shadows on NPCs and Aloy/hair in cutscenes throughout my 7.5 hours so far and all of them have been in cutscenes and all of them in various settings, Frame Gen on, Frame Gen off, DLSS on, DLAA etc. This just seemed like a rendering quirk of the engine, like how dark pockets suddenly get lit up when you zoom in on them (see gif posted earlier).

Last edited:
Right now using max settings apart from the usual crap turned off. 3440x1440 DLSS Quality + FG and getting avarage 95fps in the area I am in now.

Happy with that. Going to just leave it like this.

Back
Top Bottom