** Official Horizon: Forbidden West Complete Edition Thread **

Soldato
Hard not to when it's right in your face! :p

I mean how can people not notice just how bad SSR is now, it's like ps 2 levels of visuals at times here, the plants and all look at something from a pop up childrens book.

Well I think normal people just actually play the game rather than pixel Peep. The people on here are not the majority lol.

Caporegime
Well I think normal people just actually play the game rather than pixel Peep. The people on here are not the majority lol.

Not even pixel peeping, it's like I always said, going back to raster from RT is like going back to 60hz after you have seen 144hz+. Incredibly immersion breaking.

Man of Honour
Aren't those effects still in screen space?
Not sure, I only recall reading reshade mod descriptions but not actually using them as I kind of hate reshade, all reshade mods have a certain look to them which I don't like.

Edit*

It has to be said that Erend is :cool:

0r7Bq1Z.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Just played a couple of hours. This is an exceptional presentation for a day one release - I don't recall such an easy experience for a release on the PC platform since maybe Alien Isolation. And this is a console port..
Messed around with various upscaling, AA and dynamic resolution scaling options - it looks fantastic regardless and should scale well across a range of hardware. Granted I play on a very high DPI display (4k 28 inch), but it's very hard to tell the difference between any of them. Nixxies must have incredible engineers, because almost every aspect of the port is remarkably well crafted.
I wish all PC releases dropped like this.

Associate
Just played a couple of hours. This is an exceptional presentation for a day one release - I don't recall such an easy experience for a release on the PC platform since maybe Alien Isolation. And this is a console port..
Messed around with various upscaling, AA and dynamic resolution scaling options - it looks fantastic regardless and should scale well across a range of hardware. Granted I play on a very high DPI display (4k 28 inch), but it's very hard to tell the difference between any of them. Nixxies must have incredible engineers, because almost every aspect of the port is remarkably well crafted.
I wish all PC releases dropped like this.
Nixxies have a good track record when it comes to PC ports. Tend to patch things quite quickly too if there are any issues.

Soldato
It's the only properly optimised game to come out of the box in basically perfect condition technically as far is I can recall!

And we definitely trust you for out of the box knowledge considering your extensive beta testing services :p

Apparently they never fixed Jedi survivor. So you really took one for the team there :p

• Haha
Reactions: TNA

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Whoever said this is the best looking game they’ve seen to date needs their eyes tested.

The textures arent great in a lot of situations. Especially rusting metal. The foliage is almost cartoon like.

There are some nice vistas But i think people are conflating density of environment with quality.

More detail =/= better

I did think think nexus18 was exaggerating a little but i felt the lack of RT from the start. In particular GI. So many scenes where you run down a corridor or broken ruin and know the lighting should be dim, but it’s all lit up like every surface is emissive.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Whoever said this is the best looking game they’ve seen to date needs their eyes tested.

The textures arent great in a lot of situations. Especially rusting metal. The foliage is almost cartoon like.

There are some nice vistas But i think people are conflating density of environment with quality.

More detail =/= better

I did think think nexus18 was exaggerating a little but i felt the lack of RT from the start. In particular GI. So many scenes where you run down a corridor or broken ruin and know the lighting should be dim, but it’s all lit up like every surface is emissive.

I think DF summed this up very well in one of their videos where raster can look outstanding but it's when you move about and change angles that same scene can go from looking great to seeing all the flaws and losing it's magic, like almost seeing the glue and all the strings that holds something together and to the point it then looks like a last gen game. Hfw is the perfect example of this especially with water, sometimes it can look incredible but a lot of the time it honestly looks ps 3/4 levels and no better than the last game. GI is a big issue too, it just doesn't look/feel right and I'm finding that the further I get in the game, the downsides of raster are standing out even more, almost like the Devs focussed on the opening part the most and less so as the game gets further on, probably to meet deadlines...

In terms of a jungle/open world, avatar has really set the bar very high now, not perfect by any means but it's a true next gen title when compared to hfw imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Man of Honour
Yeah^^^ Cyberpunk is still probably the absolute best gaming graphics right now, there are no exceptions really. Sure it has some areas that look a bit bland but the overall lighting, density of textures, animations and sheer scale make it what it is.

If we are talking a raster only game then Last of Us for me takes the crown for visuals.

7ehgktz.jpeg
6PYxzfs.jpeg

Apparently they never fixed Jedi survivor. So you really took one for the team there :p
And Hogwarts, and in some ways Starfield too because of all the lies Todd Howard said for the first few months before he realised that lying to the internet will plummet your game's player base which it did :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah^^^ Cyberpunk is still probably the absolute best gaming graphics right now, there are no exceptions really. Sure it has some areas that look a bit bland but the overall lighting, density of textures, animations and sheer scale make it what it is.

If we are talking a raster only game then Last of Us for me takes the crown for visuals.

7ehgktz.jpeg
6PYxzfs.jpeg

And Hogwarts, and in some ways Starfield too because of all the lies Todd Howard said for the first few months before he realised that lying to the internet will plummet your game's player base which it did :p

Yeah I think for big open worlds, RT is now necessary and not just a nice to have. For linear/tunnel games like tlou, raster is much more manageable as simply put, there is a considerably smaller and more restricted area to work with.

Back
Top Bottom