*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Caporegime
They do new some new build houses where the developer asks them to. You're incredibly unlikely to find Hyperoptic outside of an apartment, but it's by no means the only type of building they serve.

Associate
Just had the service installed a few days ago so still trying to figure out how good it is. Ive failed to reach even half of the 1gig upload speed they say they can deliver although its not overly critical as its still higher than what I had previously. What I am struggling with is getting the HO router setup for BQM. I dont have any option to enable ICMP echos/pings as this seems to be a prerequisite for BQM. Has anyone managed to get this working with HO? I have found very little online information on anyone getting it to work with the standard Nokia HO router.

Soldato
Just had the service installed a few days ago so still trying to figure out how good it is. Ive failed to reach even half of the 1gig upload speed they say they can deliver although its not overly critical as its still higher than what I had previously. What I am struggling with is getting the HO router setup for BQM. I dont have any option to enable ICMP echos/pings as this seems to be a prerequisite for BQM. Has anyone managed to get this working with HO? I have found very little online information on anyone getting it to work with the standard Nokia HO router.

I had a quick try at BQM a while back too and couldn't figure it out, the Hyperoptic reddit might be able to help though. To be honest, although it's been very stable and I've not had any actual issues with it, I don't rate the Nokia router too highly, it's quite basic and utilitarian and lacks some seemingly basic features like being able to assign static IPs to devices (although you can do it via the Nokia mobile app).

As for the upload, are you wired or WiFi?

Associate
I had a quick try at BQM a while back too and couldn't figure it out, the Hyperoptic reddit might be able to help though. To be honest, although it's been very stable and I've not had any actual issues with it, I don't rate the Nokia router too highly, it's quite basic and utilitarian and lacks some seemingly basic features like being able to assign static IPs to devices (although you can do it via the Nokia mobile app).

As for the upload, are you wired or WiFi?
I have opened a ticket with HO so we will see what they come back with. I know when I was with BE Unlimited the support was second to non so hopefully these guys are the same. I'm hardwired mate. Ill maybe look at upgrading the router shortly if I have no luck with this. Ive seen on reddit someone did manage to get it working with an Asus something or other router.

Associate
Does anyone know what is the maximum distance allowed for the fibre cable to be between the property and the overhead pole?

I have a overhead pole right in front of my house which does not have Hyperoptic's network on it. There is another overhead pole on my street about 50 meters away which the service is enabled.

Already had 2 failed pre-install checks. After submitting a complaint, they are looking into providing the service from the other pole.

Soldato
Does anyone know what is the maximum distance allowed for the fibre cable to be between the property and the overhead pole?

I have a overhead pole right in front of my house which does not have Hyperoptic's network on it. There is another overhead pole on my street about 50 meters away which the service is enabled.

Already had 2 failed pre-install checks. After submitting a complaint, they are looking into providing the service from the other pole.
Do you live in a flat?

Soldato
They have for ages. Few of the new housing estates by me are covered by Hyperoptic. Use to live in a flat, and all nearby houses had Hyperoptic
Jesus, I diddnt know that. They said back in the day it only makes sense to install on a building with multiple apartments. They said that to install it for houses, the whole road needs to agree to have it installed on the whole road!

Caporegime
The key in the above is new housing estates. I'm not aware of any housing areas being retrofitted by Hyperoptic - they want to do the whole estate as they are being built, and have their service ready to go from the day that people move in.

Soldato
The key in the above is new housing estates. I'm not aware of any housing areas being retrofitted by Hyperoptic - they want to do the whole estate as they are being built, and have their service ready to go from the day that people move in.
Ok so still limited then to basically appartments or new builds.

What i was trying to figure out is if hyperoptic are as widelya vailable as virgin or BT etc but seems like its not

Caporegime
Nowhere close. Hyperoptic cover 825k premises (the majority of these will be apartments in larger developments), the latest Openreach figures have their FTTP network available to 7 million properties.

Soldato
Which is fine by me, because it's often apartments etc that get ignored by the other major providers. If it wasn't for Hyperoptic I'd still be stuck on 32Mbps for the foreseeable.

Soldato
Which is fine by me, because it's often apartments etc that get ignored by the other major providers. If it wasn't for Hyperoptic I'd still be stuck on 32Mbps for the foreseeable.
Its not fine for home owners.

Even the virgin and bt 1 gb are rare and u never get that speed. Plus the upload speeds are still trash on those.

Also those isp snoop into what you download etc whilst hyperoptic don't

Back
Top Bottom